Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern State has the Best Sports Culture?
North Carolina 4 11.11%
South Carolina 1 2.78%
Tennessee 1 2.78%
Arkansas 3 8.33%
Alabama 4 11.11%
Mississippi 2 5.56%
Florida 12 33.33%
Gerorgia 7 19.44%
Virginia 0 0%
Louisianna 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:30 PM

415 posts, read 1,210,497 times

Advertisements

this is one I caught myself thinking about the other day. with football coming up Carolina Panthers In a Losing Bind the Cowboys Right behind them With only One Win then you have college sports growing up in North Carolina we had plenty of major League and Minor League Sports along with the College Sports My Favorite time of the year was always March Madness! I loved going to the Greensboro Coliseum to watch all the basketball teams compete against MY TEAM UNC at Chapel Hill then the classic Rivalry thats acclaimed as the "Hottest Rivalry" UNC vs Duke! Carolina–Duke rivalry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I ABSOLUTELY LOVE SPORTS! so the question is Which Southern State do you think has the hottest, MOST PUMPIN, eXciting, most interesting Sports??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 04:48 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
I see you didn't include Texas...it would have gotten my vote and easily won this poll. I would place Georgia in 2nd due to the solid mix of strong college and professional sports in addition to a huge high school football following and major amateur sports like ALTA (largest community tennis league in the world).

Also factor in events like the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four and Regional Finals, the Chick-fil-A Bowl, the SEC Football Championship, the College Football Kickoff Game, the ACC Basketball Tournament, the PGA TOUR Championship, Atlanta Motor Speedway events, etc. Add to all this, the College Football Hall of Fame relocating to Atlanta and the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame in Macon.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 10-05-2009 at 05:15 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 05:31 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,508 times
Where's Texas? That's the obvious choice. Anyway, I'll put Florida since they're the ones with pro teams that people actually care about (not that much though), and the college teams. Except for the Braves, Atlanta's pro teams are middling and have terrible fan support. Same for Carolina, where college Bb is king. The rest of the South lives and dies by college (and HS) football and NASCAR (almost literally for the Deep South) and virtually nothing else.

Last edited by cpterp; 10-05-2009 at 06:20 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 05:34 PM

415 posts, read 1,210,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I see you didn't include Texas...it would have gotten my vote and easily won this poll. I would place Georgia in 2nd due to the solid mix of strong college and professional sports in addition to a huge high school football following and major amateur sports like ALTA (largest community tennis league in the world).

Also factor in events like the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four and Regional Finals, the Chick-fil-A Bowl, the SEC Football Championship, the College Football Kickoff Game, the ACC Basketball Tournament, the PGA TOUR Championship, Atlanta Motor Speedway events, etc. Add to all this, the College Football Hall of Fame relocating to Atlanta and the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame in Macon.
Well the same thing holds true with North Carolina just look at all the things that come up
sport championships held in north carolina - Google Search

Old 10-05-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Where's Texas? That's the obvious choice. Anyway, I'll put Florida since they're the ones with any pro teams that people actually care about (not that much though), and the college teams. Except for the Braves, Atlanta's pro teams are middling and have terrible fan support. Same for Carolina, where college Bb is king. The rest of the South lives and dies by college (and HS) football and NASCAR (almost literally for the Deep South) and virtually nothing else.
Oh come on...the Georgia Dome is always sold-out and a sea of red/black for the Falcons, and the Hawks are quite a good team now with big fan support - and both were playoffs teams in 2008/2009. Not trying to argue with you and I agree that Florida has a big sports culture, but don't say lame things like that...it's not true.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
Well the same thing holds true with North Carolina just look at all the things that come up
sport championships held in north carolina - Google Search
There are some championships in N.C., but not as many...

Old 10-05-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Oh come on...the Georgia Dome is always sold-out and a sea of red/black for the Falcons, and the Hawks are quite a good team now with big fan support - and both were playoffs teams in 2008/2009. Not trying to argue with you and I agree that Florida has a big sports culture, but don't say lame things like that...it's not true.
Oh really.....

-Falcons fan loyalty ranked 31 out of 32 (23 out of 32 for attendance):
bizjournals: Full fan loyalty rankings (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/35.html - broken link)

-Hawks 20 out of 30 for attendance 2009. Not terrible, but still lackluster:
NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Old 10-05-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Oh really.....

-Falcons fan loyalty ranked 31 out of 32 (23 out of 32 for attendance):
bizjournals: Full fan loyalty rankings (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/35.html - broken link)

-Hawks 20 out of 30 for attendance 2009. Not terrible, but still lackluster:
NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN
bizjournals? Not a solid reference... And doubtful it's current information.

I was responding to the "middling" comment. They are both quality playoff teams currently.

Can't we have responses that DON'T disparage other people and places? I mean, do you really feel it necessary to put down Atlanta's sports teams in order to respond? I could pull up data on all of Florida's attendance averages and bad fans, not to mention poor records...but I didn't need to do that just to make my point, did I?

Old 10-05-2009, 06:48 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Florida's sports scene has been a huge dissappointment since moving here 8 years ago. I was expecting so much more.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I was responding to the "middling" comment. They are both quality playoff teams currently.

Can't we have responses that DON'T disparage other people and places? I mean, do you really feel it necessary to put down Atlanta's sports teams in order to respond? I could pull up data on all of Florida's attendance averages and bad fans, not to mention poor records...but I didn't need to do that just to make my point, did I?
Yeah well fine, I didn't mean the teams sucked, they just aren't stellar (right now anyway). Floridas teams aren't either but they have more teams and a bigger following.

Anyway forget all of that, my main point was the attendence and following. bizjournals was the first thing that came up on google, and it's credible. The 23rd out of 32 number came from ESPN.

btw I always try to make sure I put up sources/links/facts/statisitcs in my posts because people on here love to criticize posters for posting biased opinions and what not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City