Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 12:41 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times

Advertisements

There is heavy European bias on this board, in the sense that when anyone asks "what U.S. cities are foreigners familiar with?" everyone always says "well Europeans love Seattle and Boston!!!".

Europe =/= the entire world. I think due to close cultural and historical ties between the U.S. and Europe and the fact that most Americans travel to Europe the first time they go abroad, Europeans are going to be more familiar with U.S. cities than any other foreigners, so a true measure of the brand power of U.S. cities to the rest of the world would include, and perhaps emphasize, Asians, Africans, and Latin Americans.

So in your experience living and traveling abroad (not to Europe) what cities are foreigners interested in? Just NY, LA, DC? Certain cities appeal to certain parts of the world (IE Miami to Latin America, San Francisco to Asia)?

Elaborate.

Last edited by PDX_LAX; 10-14-2009 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 01:19 PM

515 posts, read 1,059,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
There is heavy European bias on this board, in the sense that when anyone asks "what U.S. cities are foreigners familiar with?" everyone always says "well Europeans love Seattle and Boston!!!".

Europe =/= the entire world. I think due to close cultural and historical ties between the U.S. and Europe and the fact that most Americans travel to Europe the first time they go abroad, Europeans are going to be more familiar with U.S. cities than any other foreigners, so a true measure of the brand power of U.S. cities to the rest of the world would include, and perhaps emphasize, Asians, Africans, and Latin Americans.

So in your experience living and traveling abroad (not to Europe) what cities are foreigners interested in? Just NY, LA, DC? Certain cities appeal to certain parts of the world (IE Miami to Latin America, San Francisco to Asia)?

Elaborate.
I think your question doesn't entail much of an issue since for the most part, cities like NY, LA, DC, Boston have appeal on an international scale. As for those those few that appeal to speficic ethnicities, you already pointed the two main ones, Miami and San Francisco. On a smaller scale, I undertsnad that Houston and DC attract a lot African immigrants and students.
And for the record, many in Latin America are immigrants or descedants from Europeans.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:25 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
San Francisco is very well known everywhere I've ever been to.

Actually many American Cities are quite well known. Its us Americans who need to get out and see the world more.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:31 PM

787 posts, read 1,696,230 times
For many people from Africa: Houston, Washington D.C, New York

Old 10-14-2009, 01:32 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Actually many American Cities are quite well known. Its us Americans who need to get out and see the world more.
very true. the world is definitely "more worldly" . and i bet a good portion of americans could barely name one city in each south american country. hell, i barely could not too long ago

Old 10-14-2009, 01:36 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Depends on the part of the world youre talking about.

For Latin America: Miami, New York, and Los Angeles come first. After that Houston, Dallas, and Chicago.

For Asia: Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and Honolulu come first. After that Seattle, Washington DC, and Chicago.

From Africa: Washington DC, New York, Atlanta, and Houston.

That being said, I think most people around the world have heard of the 10 biggest Metropolitan centers in the US even if they dont know that much about them specifically.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:38 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Las Vegas is fairly popular as well

Old 10-14-2009, 07:24 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Of course the largest cities in the U.S. would be well-known internationally (NYC, LA, Chicago), plus the capital city of Washington D.C. I think Atlanta gained excellent worldwide recognition by hosting the Summer Olympics. For most other cities, it would just depend on individual connections to a particular city as to whether that city is recognized or not. San Francisco, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Boston, Seattle, Philadelphia, New Orleans, and a few others would be recognizable to many people across the world.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:25 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
Quote:

Thank you.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:12 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:

You speak the truth more than most people know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City