Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HOUSTON VS SEATTLE
HOUSTON 57 35.85%
SEATTLE 92 57.86%
EQUAL 10 6.29%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:38 PM

293 posts, read 900,100 times

Advertisements

I highly prefer Seattle over Houston. Houston, or anywhere in Texas for that matter is not someplace I'd ever want to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:39 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I don't think anyone here has exaggerated the population of Seattle. Most realize that Houston is a larger city and metro. However, the topic of the thread wasn't "which is bigger". It was "which is better, and which has a better potential future".
I was talking about most people's (outside this website) perceptions about some cities and the PR machine exaggerating their cities like a passenger-side mirror. Not just Seattle and Austin but also Atlanta, Chicago, Denver and more.

Quote:
BTW, not sure what your comparison with Austin is all about. Seattle's CSA is roughly three times that of Austin.
Seattle was the "hot spot" in the '90s. Austin is the "hot spot" for the '00s. I wonder who will be the "hot spot" in the '10s? I also had a discussion with a co-worker today about Austin and another co-worker who has roots there was sitting next to her.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:40 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,744 times
Houston is on a different league compared to Seattle. And not on a NYC-Seattle drastic comparison, just that these 2 shouldnt be compared.

Some might like Seattles skyline, scenery, etc. more, but that doesnt make it a better city. Otherwise Seattle would be a much larger city, but the truth is, its just one of those cities that people love to admire, but doesn't neccesarily mean that because of that it should outrank, a top 10 MSA/CSA.

Houston is better, and has the potentially better future, just because of its size. It has higher growth rates, continuing to attract people, exemplified by gaining the most domestic migrants, and having gained the 2nd most people out of any metro. It is better economically, offers more cultural options, is more diverse, more international and globally connected, the list goes on and on, but it doesnt matter because in typical C-D fashion, Seattle will continue to win this poll. Not like it matters much to me or in the real world, where (big shock), Seattle is on a tier below Houston. I just felt like saying my opinion.

So while, we'd all like to move to Seattle and stare in awe at its skyline, the truth of the matter is people are moving to Houston. I wonder, would that be because someones future will be better in Houston, and there is more promise? Hmmm.... possibly, we have the answer to the poll.

*Dont get offended by the skyline remarks, that was just me rambling.

Oh, and Seattles CSA is not roughly 3 times the size of Austin, more like 2.36 times larger, so its actually closer to being 2 times the size of Austin. And Austin's GROWTH RATE is rougly 3 times Seattles growth rate.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:40 PM

196 posts, read 457,906 times
Seattle

Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Houston is on a different league compared to Seattle. And not on a NYC-Seattle drastic comparison, just that these 2 shouldnt be compared.
No question that this is more of a NYC-Houston comparison but it seems that the discussion is a NYC-Seattle drastic comparison to the media washed people.

BTW the OP mentioned Dallas. What happened to that choice? I'm surprised that "Equal" is a choice instead.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:02 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I was talking about most people's (outside this website) perceptions about some cities and the PR machine exaggerating their cities like a passenger-side mirror. Not just Seattle and Austin but also Atlanta, Chicago, Denver and more.
Good point.
Houston certainly doesn't seem to put much effort into PR. But you know, sometimes I don't have a problem with that because people are still moving here in droves... and staying. People might move somewhere for work, but if there's nothing really great keeping them there they will look for a job/transfer elsewhere to put down roots.
Houston is generally underrated and misunderstood.

Quote:
BTW the OP mentioned Dallas. What happened to that choice? I'm surprised that "Equal" is a choice instead.
Another good point.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:06 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times
Quote:
No question that this is more of a NYC-Houston comparison but it seems that the discussion is a NYC-Seattle drastic comparison to the media washed people.

Where did NYC come in here? The OP titled the thread "Houston vs. Seattle", and only mentioned Dallas in the body of his first post. ???

Old 11-12-2011, 02:59 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Even if Houston wins, people will still vote for Seattle. That being said.. Houston! I love that place! Seattle is nice though.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:07 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
So Houston's population growth is greater than Seattle's. So what! Should I have followed the crowd and moved to Houston? No. Seattle is a city that's more to my liking. A city with a real pulsating center city. A fairly compact city that's walkable, hilly, charming smack in the middle of 2 bodies of water. A city with breathtaking natural beauty. Natural beauty not important to Houstonians but it sure is nice to have it. I prefer Seattle because it doesn't feel like you're stepping into a hot steamy sauna in the summertime. Houston is a city that doesn't get the credit it deserves. It's a great city imo. I've visitied many times thru the years and always enjoyed myself. Just not to live.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:37 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
WHICH OF THESE 2 CITIES HOLDS THE BEST PROMISE:SEATTLE,HOUSTON,DALLAS?Are they equal?or one better than the other overall.Ubanity,shopping,culture,economy,diversity,globaly connected,and the future.

Shopping- Houston

Economy- Houston, Houston by pop isn't even twice as large as Seattle but Houston's GDP is nearly 3 time larger.

Diversity Houston by far, or let guess posters are going to argue that in some way Seattle is more diverse.

Globally connected- Houston by far, Houston is rank higher in global studies, Houston has 37 missions Seattle 6, Houston's George Bush Intercontinental has way more international destination than Seattle Airport. The port of Houston has more tonnage. Houston is known globally for Energy.

The future- Houston, which city is growing more by pop and economically before After the recession.

The only things that are questionable the OP ask are culture and urbanity, And I would like know Houston population density in the loop. Even If some give Seattle the nod on those, it will still be Houston 5 to Seattle 2. This is a perfect example of city data anti sun belt bias. I'm not even sure can LA beat Seattle or Minneapolis on city data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City