Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:48 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom View Post
Absolutely agree. Freeways are ugly behemoths of sprawl and congestion. Not something to brag about.
Freeways are engines of growth in smaller cities...we're talking about cities without rail transit, so freeways are all that much more important there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 01:29 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,595 times
Freeways allow me to get in my car and go where I need to go, rather than pack into massively subsidized sardine cans fully of smelly people that take twice as long to get to my destination.

I think Albuquerque is now a bit too large to fit in this category, but I remember being blown away with the spacious lanes and ease of getting around the first time I was there back around 1993 or so.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:56 PM

398 posts, read 1,317,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Freeways allow me to get in my car and go where I need to go, rather than pack into massively subsidized sardine cans fully of smelly people that take twice as long to get to my destination.

I think Albuquerque is now a bit too large to fit in this category, but I remember being blown away with the spacious lanes and ease of getting around the first time I was there back around 1993 or so.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Yah, I too personally prefer getting into my own truck, getting on a large paved roadway with no stoplights (call it freeway/interstate/expressway/turnpike, I don't care) and going where I need to go when I want to go there.

BUT - I also commend metro areas who have good public transportation systems. There are a lot of people who either need or prefer to take the subway/lightrail/train/bus/whathaveyou. That's great for the environment and also great for me because that's less traffic I need to deal with. Was that sentence totally hypocritical - yup, probably so. But it's the truth.

I was in the Newark, NJ area recently and was really impressed with the highway system there. Yah, there is a TON of traffic - but it MOVES. At least it moved when I was there sharing the roadways with it. I like how they have freeways within freeways - like an "express" freeway on the inside that has way less onramps/offramps that the outside freeway. That way, the "through traffic" doesn't have to deal with as much traffic merging on and off. I had never seen that before and was very impressed with how well it seemed to work.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:10 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
well we don't have them in my metro. We have INTERSTATES. I-64, I-264, I-464, I-564.
  • Western Freeway (VA Route 164)
  • MLK Freeway (US Route 58)
  • Chesapeake Expressway (VA Route 168)*

all meet FHWA's definition of a "freeway"

*"Freeway" does not mean toll-free.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:52 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
  • Western Freeway (VA Route 164)
  • MLK Freeway (US Route 58)
  • Chesapeake Expressway (VA Route 168)*

all meet FHWA's definition of a "freeway"

*"Freeway" does not mean toll-free.
I remember a while back people got into a debate about the differences between freeways and expressways. Someone stayed freeways are called freeways because they're FREE! lol

Old 11-12-2009, 01:38 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,619,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Shreveport, LA
Beaumont, TX
Jackson, MS
Harrisburg, PA
I'm probably the only person (well, one of a few anyway) from this area that holds this opinion: Harrisburg's highway system is too extravagant. The leaders in this area have been content building more and more roads while very little expansion of public transportation has taken place. There is a plan for commuter rail, and we have high-speed Amtrak service to Lancaster and then Philadelphia. Slowly but surely the mind set is changing around here.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:40 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,619,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Freeways are engines of growth in smaller cities...we're talking about cities without rail transit, so freeways are all that much more important there.
No, highways just displace resources into a less sustainable manner. Even for small cities/towns.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:04 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
No, highways just displace resources into a less sustainable manner. Even for small cities/towns.
What do you suggest as a replacement for freeways? Public transit is just not a real option in most smaller, less dense cities...and people want to be able to get where they're going. Sustainable through infinity? Maybe not, but they are the current solution.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:37 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Charleston, West Virginia.

Try it on I-64 or I-77 sometime. Pretty cool system for a city of 51,000 and a metro of only 200,000 people total.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:39 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Shreveport, LA
Beaumont, TX

Jackson, MS
Harrisburg, PA
Most definitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City