Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the better?
Longmont 17 85.00%
Pueblo 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 10:51 AM

631 posts, read 1,575,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
What does Longmont have to do for fun? Pueblo has a few large events but I wanted to start with the states largest annual event, the Colorado State Fair. This is where all the best of the best come to be shown in the state. To be invited in the state fair is a honor indeed!

Welcome to the fair!

The midway!

The concert video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiakgXbVkaI

This is yet another reason why the state fair is so important for Pueblo. Can anyone tell me of another event in Colorado outside of Denver that gets all the political leaders together every year?

Congressman Mike Coffman and state GOP Chair Dick Wadhams share a bipartisan grin with Democratic Gov. Bill Ritter, right. (Photo by Tatianna Gruen/The Colorado Statesman)

Several hundred legislators, lobbyists, corporate sponsors and candidates flocked to the annual Legislative BBQ sponsored by the Greater Pueblo Chamber of Commerce on Friday evening, Aug. 28. The following night, at least 100 Republicans attended the 15th annual steak dinner hosted by former Pueblo GOP Chairman Tom Ready.

The link: Politics takes center stage in Pueblo | Colorado Statesman
well Longmont DOES have the annual Boulder County fair. But when it comes to entertainment our own DT is a destination of it's own. Many venues line the main avenue DT and across the city countless strip malls with countless MORE venues are always within a 5 minutes drive from you no matter where you are. There's also the theater.

As for outdoor entertainment we have countless public parks and a major recreational center/museum complex. Longmont also has even more golf courses, biking trails line the city, and near Union Reservoir we have a dirt BMX track.

That said i think it should also be made known here that Longmont is really just a residential town when it comes right down to it. Everything Longmont really needs right now is in another city (most of which are within a 15 minute drive away). Not gonna lie, Pueblo has much to be proud of, but it also has quite the edge being separated from everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Not true as Pueblo has a FAA tower and controls a reagion in fact Pueblo is one of 3 cities in the country that planes use as they travel cross country. So Doss does not have to use the Denver center for the facility.

If anything Fort Carson and the air force base's helped Pueblo get it.
every city with an airport has one. even the gov't airstrips have to go through the Denver Center at one point or another.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I am not sure how many wins Central or even Centennial has but I am sure its a lot since they are some of the oldest schools in the state so for the first 50 years there was not much competition.

As far as academics since I am out of high school I will be honest I don't pay attention. I do know that east is in the baccalaureate program. South is known for its math programs and Centennial is known for its science programs.

Pueblo, also, has great schools in the suburbs, Pueblo West and County high school, Rye high school and private schools, Caesar Cavies is one.
Well Longmont High is one of the oldest as well (i've seen record that date all the way back to 1906). But it doesn't matter how many TOTAL wins they have, the record is for CONSECUTIVE wins.

Longmont High (as stated previously) is the main high school for the Honors/AP program, and nearby Silver Creek High is also another school with a large amount of Honors/AP programs. No school here is specialized in any certain program (except the recently converted Skyline High which is part high school, part Arts academy).

Now let's talk safety. Longmont is one of the safer cities in the state, has more than adequate fire protection, and their police force is one of the best ones i know.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:33 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
well Longmont DOES have the annual Boulder County fair. But when it comes to entertainment our own DT is a destination of it's own. Many venues line the main avenue DT and across the city countless strip malls with countless MORE venues are always within a 5 minutes drive from you no matter where you are. There's also the theater.

As for outdoor entertainment we have countless public parks and a major recreational center/museum complex. Longmont also has even more golf courses, biking trails line the city, and near Union Reservoir we have a dirt BMX track.

That said i think it should also be made known here that Longmont is really just a residential town when it comes right down to it. Everything Longmont really needs right now is in another city (most of which are within a 15 minute drive away). Not gonna lie, Pueblo has much to be proud of, but it also has quite the edge being separated from everything else.
Pueblo has many events downtown at our Riverwalk. One of the larger ones is the Wild Wild West fest by the PBR. Here are some pics:

By the way Pueblo has its own tv and radio stations they share with the Springs. In fact many radio and 2 tv stations are located in Pueblo. KOAA is one of them and they are number 1 in southern Colorado and on par with any Denver tv station in terms of quality and influence in the state.

Not the best quality but my camera is not great at taking night shots.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said Longmont is more a residential town. Pueblo is more a principal city for a 16 county region thus you cant really compare the two and Pueblo would win in almost every category. That being said the one good thing about Pueblo is our location, we are just far enough from Denver that we are out of their spear of influence so we can be our own city in our own region yet close enough that I can go there for major events like Bronco games or plays. I like the location and I think that is what has made Pueblo what it is today and will we will become in the coming years.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
By the way Pueblo has its own tv and radio stations they share with the Springs. In fact many radio and 2 tv stations are located in Pueblo. KOAA is one of them and they are number 1 in southern Colorado and on par with any Denver tv station in terms of quality and influence in the state.

Not the best quality but my camera is not great at taking night shots.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said Longmont is more a residential town. Pueblo is more a principal city for a 16 county region thus you cant really compare the two and Pueblo would win in almost every category. That being said the one good thing about Pueblo is our location, we are just far enough from Denver that we are out of their spear of influence so we can be our own city in our own region yet close enough that I can go there for major events like Bronco games or plays. I like the location and I think that is what has made Pueblo what it is today and will we will become in the coming years.
Longmont also has it's own TV station. And i completely agree, and that's a point i tried to make several times. despite have all these high-tech industries (And the Con-Agra/Butterball Turkey plant) due to being right in the think of EVERYTHING Longmont eventually took on the title of a residential community. Give the city another decade and maybe there'll be a better competition.

(i think it's funny tho that Longmont ended up with more votes so far, 5 to 1)

Old 11-21-2009, 08:43 PM

something else i want to throw out there, Longmont was rated top 50 places to live in the Nation twice and an All American City in 2006 (i think some of the banners are still up in some places)

Old 11-22-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Longmont also has it's own TV station. And i completely agree, and that's a point i tried to make several times. despite have all these high-tech industries (And the Con-Agra/Butterball Turkey plant) due to being right in the think of EVERYTHING Longmont eventually took on the title of a residential community. Give the city another decade and maybe there'll be a better competition.

(i think it's funny tho that Longmont ended up with more votes so far, 5 to 1)
I am hoping in the next decade Pueblo gets a few large developments that cause us to grow a lot as well. One of the developments in downtown. Here is a not so good map from the Pueblo Chieftain on what they want to do next year in downtown.

Proposed buildings 1. Expansion of convention center with expo hall. Existing: Parking lot. 2. Hotel. Existing: Parking lot and part of Richmond Avenue. 3. Parking garage. Existing: Parking lot. 4. Aquatics center. Existing: Vacant land and portion of Richmond Avenue. 5. Mixed-use development. Existing: Police building. 6. Office space: Existing: Former health department building. 7. Mixed-use development. Existing: Vacant lot. 8. Hotel/condos/mixed-use development. Existing: Urban Renewal Authority offices/former print shop. 9. Outdoor amphitheater. Existing: Unimproved grass lot/amphitheater. Existing buildings A. Pueblo Convention Center. B. City of Pueblo transportation office/bus barn. C. Richmond apartments.

I am not surprised Longmont got more votes seem like people like to make fun of Pueblo yet Pueblo remain the only city that can stand up to Denver. I will take that.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
something else i want to throw out there, Longmont was rated top 50 places to live in the Nation twice and an All American City in 2006 (i think some of the banners are still up in some places)
Pueblo has won those as well. To be honost anymore it seems like there are so many lists out there that at some time every city wins some award.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:41 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
Viva Colorado Springs!

Old 11-24-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Viva Colorado Springs!
If ur not gonna stay on topic then please don't post here...

But I WILL say that Pueblo ISN'T the only city (IMHO) that can stand up to Denver in Colorado. Colorado Springs has the Air Force Academy, NOAA and Cheyenne Mountain (all of which are HIGHLY important to our nation as a whole), Boulder has the main CU campus and has world renown for being on of the top Universities outside of the Ivy League as well as NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research) which houses some of the most powerful computers in the world (storing and processed several hundred TERA bytes a day). Loveland was voted the BEST place to live in the entire country last year (if THAT doesn't stack up against Denver then i don't know what does).

Pueblo may be the major economic hub of the southern end of the state, but it isn't the ONLY economic hub outside of Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City