Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 03:11 PM

80 posts, read 123,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
I don't know who is saying downtown Dallas is dead but I wish someone would up load some pics.I had a 5 hour delay in Dallas and decide to walk around which was around 1 o clock in the morning and from what I seen was hustle and bustle people selling stuff and buy stuff if you know what I mean.The clubs had lines from here to Mexico and what I found was neat was the models at one club posing as manicans and that was impressive.They have the original Mc Donalds there with the huge M that you can walk under and it's becoming to look little like New York city from my oppinon.A city that can't grew out must grow up trap around all the suburbs like Dallas.
Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Charlotte are cool downtowns with a lot to do. San Jose is the one you need to be concerned. It's so dead and not much going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 03:13 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,954,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Dog View Post
Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Charlotte are cool downtowns with a lot to do. San Jose is the one you need to be concerned. It's so dead and not much going on.
What's so bad about San Jose?

Old 11-25-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
What's so bad about San Jose?
It's so dead with no vitality once so ever. You're lucky to have a cool downtown with plenty to do, and the size of Downtown D is impressive. San Jose is basically an overgrown suburb with no functioning downtown.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:19 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,354,636 times
Quote:
once so ever
You're like Bizarro Durf, complete with Engrish typos.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:33 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,652,089 times
Quote:
Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Charlotte are cool downtowns with a lot to do. .
Dallas and Houston are horrible. Especially for cities of their size. The department stores close at 6. That ought to tell you how dead they are.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:03 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,709,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Dallas and Houston are horrible. Especially for cities of their size. The department stores close at 6. That ought to tell you how dead they are.
Their downtowns are good for their size.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:50 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,652,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Their downtowns are good for their size.
No they are not. That is precisely the problem with sprawl. Dallas and houston are classic examples of this. sprawl kills downtowns. That's why after 6 pm, you can shoot a cannon off and not hit anyone.

Houston and Dallas are reasonably close to the same size as Chicago. But the difference in downtowns is night and day.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:53 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,765,463 times
Quote:
It's so dead with no vitality once so ever. You're lucky to have a cool downtown with plenty to do, and the size of Downtown D is impressive. San Jose is basically an overgrown suburb with no functioning downtown.

I take it you've never actually been to San Jose... "dead" is something DT San Jose is not. Small? Yes. Dead? No. More dead than SF and/or Oakland? Definitely. But there are plenty of "bigger" downtowns that have even less going on than San Jose.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:05 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,709,594 times
Quote:
No they are not. That is precisely the problem with sprawl. Dallas and houston are classic examples of this. sprawl kills downtowns. That's why after 6 pm, you can shoot a cannon off and not hit anyone.

Houston and Dallas are reasonably close to the same size as Chicago. But the difference in downtowns is night and day.
Dallas and Houston need atleast 3million more people to bethe same population as Chicago.

I don't understand how you tied sprawl in with The downtown area though. To say that both downtowns aren't alive after 6pm can't be right. I don't find that to be true.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I totally disagree. San Jose is the only that' horrible for its size and its existent. That's left for San Jose, not Houston and Dallas, which are big and fun with lots to do. Houston and Dallas have nicely revitalized their downtowns with convention centers, stadium/arenas, performing arts and at least one department store. San Jose is deplorable. The worst and least vibrant of any possible the world since cities thorough the world are vibrant in their core short of a war time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City