Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 09:26 AM

84 posts, read 94,557 times

Advertisements

Fires - not fired. Remember the huge fires in Texas about two months ago? 600 homes were destroyed, including my friend's home. They chose to move, even though they both had great jobs there, and it was a big gamble but since they are both in the restaurant/hospitality industry, they trusted me when I said they will find new, better jobs in Philly. FEMA gave them a lump sum, and based on one 3-day visit to Philly a year ago - where I showed them a few highlights like the Italian Market and Reading Terminal, they moved.

http://www.centro-matic.com/wp-conte...re-540x360.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Although we weren't fired but rather chose to pick up and move from Houston to Philly, you've described our experience. In fact, we just had two friends visit from Houston who said pretty much the same thing as your friends: "We have nothing like Center City back home."

Every city, Houston and Philly included, has its positive and negative attributes, so claiming one is better than another is either a fool's errand or blatant homerism. That said, anyone who claims Houston's "vibrant" DT is one of theirs has either not experienced a truly vibrant DT or is smoking something special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 09:36 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one more thing View Post
Not you, quite obviously.
But see I've actually lived in Houston, so you might want to entertain the idea that I know the city better than people who lived more than a hundred miles away; especially people who would insolently describe it as nothing but "a collection of glass office towers". Have you yourself been to Houston?

My only point is that if they truly love Philadelphia but hated Houston, then chances are that they were never fond of Texas in the first place, so it's good that they moved.

I'm just having a hard time imagining how two people who happen to praise and embrace the urbanity of a city like Philly would even find themselves in a place like Bastrop. Are they originally northerners who were transplanted in Texas?

Old 11-27-2011, 09:46 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Bastrop???
That's bothering me as well. I mean, Bastrop isn't even one of the more eclectic or charming towns in Texas. It's just...Bastrop. What were these "friends" doing there in the first place? The type of people who would live there aren't exactly the type of people who would love Philadelphia.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:58 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,590,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What big cities (over 500,000) have downtowns that are like ghost-towns?

I'm thinking lack of resident inner city population, nightlife, shuts down at 5pm.

I can think of Los Angeles, but they seem to be improving. Any others that stick out?
It's 2011 going on 2012 TIME TO DELETE LOS ANGELES FROM YOUR LIST...especially since Farmer Stadium is going to get built near LA LIVE.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:04 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
It's 2011 going on 2012 TIME TO DELETE LOS ANGELES FROM YOUR LIST...especially since Farmer Stadium is going to get built near LA LIVE.

LA has so many other positive attributes. Honestly I visitied LA Live for the fist time last week. It mostly feels like a mall. DT LA is far more interesting than LA Live

LA does not have the best nor the worst and is getting better so doesnt belong on the least or most vibrant list but is approaching the most vbrant list

Old 11-27-2011, 10:18 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
That's bothering me as well. I mean, Bastrop isn't even one of the more eclectic or charming towns in Texas. It's just...Bastrop. What were these "friends" doing there in the first place? The type of people who would live there aren't exactly the type of people who would love Philadelphia.
That is what I want to know. I mean Bastrop??? I can understand if they were at least closer to Austin. Say Round Rock and they moved to Philly and prefer the livelier pace. But Bastrop??? I would even understand New Braunfils or Fredericksburg. But Bastrop?? that is nowhere'sville USA.

That is like moving from the smallest suburb of Eire Pennsylvania to Chicago and being surprised by the life there.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:25 AM

They worked at a top-rated luxury resort. So what. They knew Houston. They are both from Texas. One worked in NYC and also Rome (Italy) for a while. You know nothing about them so stop guessing.

Quote:
That is what I want to know. I mean Bastrop??? I can understand if they were at least closer to Austin. Say Round Rock and they moved to Philly and prefer the livelier pace. But Bastrop??? I would even understand New Braunfils or Fredericksburg. But Bastrop?? that is nowhere'sville USA.

That is like moving from the smallest suburb of Eire Pennsylvania to Chicago and being surprised by the life there.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:27 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one more thing View Post
They worked at a top-rated luxury resort. So what. They knew Houston. They are both from Texas. One worked in NYC and also Rome (Italy) for a while. You know nothing about them so stop guessing.
I am not guessing, I am asking.

Have you been to Bastrop??? And if they lived in NYC and Rome why were they salivating over Philly? Something is off about their story. maybe they spent too much time in Bastrop

Old 11-27-2011, 10:31 AM

Yeah I went there 18 months ago, that's when I invited them to visit Philly. Bastrop is Very rural, "drive-thru liquors and guns" country. It's also very close to Austin. This all has zero bearing on their ability to judge a city's vibrancy.

Quote:

Have you been to Bastrop???

Old 11-27-2011, 10:32 AM

For all the reasons so-called Philly 'homers' keep bringing up. That's the whole point, Philly is that great. It certainly outclasses Rome in many categories, and NYC is close enough. The food scene in Philly is one of the top in the nation, cost of living is good. Not too tough to understand. When discussing downtown vs. downtown, Philly's league is SF, Chicago & Boston. Houston is a step below. The real point is that Philly is a great place to advance your career if you are a chef and that's what worked for them.

Quote:

Have you been to Bastrop??? And if they lived in NYC and Rome why were they salivating over Philly? Something is off about their story. maybe they spent too much time in Bastrop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City