Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 09:56 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,118,446 times

Advertisements

Basically, do you find there a difference between Asian-American English accents of those who were raised in California or Washington State or NY or Northern Virginia? To clarify, I am not refering to foreign-accent or ESL but in regards to Asians who speak English as their first or main language in America.

Was wondering what others think..I know there are alot of differences between Asian groups (Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc) but in general, do the AMERICAN(IZED)-accents of Asian-Americans sound different from region to region. Or do you think it is more class-based- as in more highly-educated Asian-Americans have a different accent from those of lower-level (even if US-born)?

In the case of other ethnic groups in America, the English spoken by Hispanics and Blacks generally varies by region (and class factors).

Old 05-02-2010, 08:21 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
I can't speak from experience, but Asian Americans born and raised in the States tend to speak just like the white people of the region, with the exception of maybe the South and NYC, although there are examples of Asian Americans with strong Southern/NY accents. Although I think most Asian Americans in somewhere like Houston have at least some degree of Southern colouring to their accent.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City