Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 02:10 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
If you actually read the title it says "Most ghetto VISUALLY", meaning not a palm tree paradise with sandy beaches down the street but rather a cold, rainy, polluted, decrepit, and depressed city such as Detroit or Cleveland..
Well if you're not an idiot, you can see the "ghetto" through the bad areas that happen to have tropical flora nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 02:26 AM
TT1

148 posts, read 439,741 times
Los Angeles (like Miami) look just as nasty as the ghettos in Philadelphia or Cleveland. Get real. Most of you who say otherwise haven't been to LA and are just basing this on perception.

Private homes a 2 palm trees in the background...whoop de do. I guess shantytown slums in Tijuana are so so luxurious because they have palm trees!!! What is it about palm trees to some of you Midwestern/East Coasters that makes you associate it with something being nice? It's hard for me to comprehend.

Los Angeles (Watts, South Central):

Last edited by TT1; 12-28-2009 at 02:40 AM..

Old 12-28-2009, 03:06 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
No officer he wasn't decapitated, I see palm trees. Serious gang problem? No officer. thank God for those palm trees.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:34 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
No officer he wasn't decapitated, I see palm trees. Serious gang problem? No officer. thank God for those palm trees.
Lol.

Maybe they should try sending some palms up to the "real" ghettos of these other cities to help with their crime! I mean since we now have the formula: palm trees + impoverished community = no ghetto. They should have sent Cleveland and Detroit some palms years ago, and then all would have been fine and dandy with no crime or danger, just like in LA and Miami. If only they had figured it out sooner!

Of course we're forgetting about the warm weather issue, because that makes a difference too. Hmmmm. This creates a dilemma. I mean look at how safe and devoid of poverty all the warm weather favelas are in Brazil! Probably b/c they're single family homes - there's no way they could be dangerous.

I hear Ciudad Juarez in Mexico has the highest murder rate in the world right now. It must somehow not be getting any of Mexico's warm weather. I mean since the rest of Mexico is so safe and all.

Yeah, I totally see why its so hard for some people to imagine rough neighborhoods existing where there is warm weather and palm trees. I mean how could a ghetto possibly develop when the sky's not overcast?

Old 12-28-2009, 05:40 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Lol.

Maybe they should try sending some palms up to the "real" ghettos of these other cities to help with their crime! I mean since we now have the formula: palm trees + impoverished community = no ghetto. They should have sent Cleveland and Detroit some palms years ago, and then all would have been fine and dandy with no crime or danger, just like in LA and Miami. If only they had figured it out sooner!

Of course we're forgetting about the warm weather issue, because that makes a difference too. Hmmmm. This creates a dilemma. I mean look at how safe and devoid of poverty all the warm weather favelas are in Brazil! Probably b/c they're single family homes - there's no way they could be dangerous.

I hear Ciudad Juarez in Mexico has the highest murder rate in the world right now. It must somehow not be getting any of Mexico's warm weather. I mean since the rest of Mexico is so safe and all.

Yeah, I totally see why its so hard for some people to imagine rough neighborhoods existing where there is warm weather and palm trees. I mean how could a ghetto possibly develop when the sky's not overcast?
There are people in San Diego who believe that the reason for their low crime rate is because the weather brings out "joy-joy feelings" in everyone, while Detroit's crime rate is due to their cold winters.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:53 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
There are people in San Diego who believe that the reason for their low crime rate is because the weather brings out "joy-joy feelings" in everyone, while Detroit's crime rate is due to their cold winters.
Lol funny how that same principal doesn't apply when we're looking at Newton, MA or Stamford, CT (or for that matter Boston or Toronto) and comparing them to Atlanta, Dallas and New Orleans. I'm afraid they're overlooking just about every relevant factor.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:09 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,041 times
Houma, Louisiana:
Google Maps

Old 12-28-2009, 09:32 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,642 times
Climate has little to do with crime, it's socioeconomic factors..but that's for another day.

But I think you are failing to realize what people mean Jman. They are saying from what they've seen VISUALLY it doesn't look as BAD (not in terms of pure crime numbers) than cities without palm trees or in tropical climates. That's it. Nothing more. Done.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:48 AM

674 posts, read 1,813,215 times
Well what looks worse VISUALLY like the thread says some 70 year old tenemant building with rats and roaches everywhere, graffiti ALL over the wall people, taking dumps on the stairs because the plumbing doesnt work, smell of every drug you can think of in the air. OR a tiny 1 family home where its burining hot every day, and it floods when it rains.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:04 PM
TT1

148 posts, read 439,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Climate has little to do with crime, it's socioeconomic factors..but that's for another day.

But I think you are failing to realize what people mean Jman. They are saying from what they've seen VISUALLY it doesn't look as BAD (not in terms of pure crime numbers) than cities without palm trees or in tropical climates. That's it. Nothing more. Done.

I guess Jakarta is visually not bad at all. After all, there is a palm tree! Not to mention the sun is shining. Oooo, purdy!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City