Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 01:25 AM

95 posts, read 77,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
In no particular order:

1. LA
2. NYC
3. San Francisco
4. Atlanta
5. DC

Honorable mention: Chicago and Miami
There is no way Atlanta is in the top 5.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:43 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
I say NYC is #1, bar none. The ones after that are in no order

NYC

SF
Miami
Dallas
LA

I picked them all for different reasons, different styles and how well they do them. What works in NYC wouldn't necessarily work in LA and Vice-Versa.

I debated about Atlanta and DC on my list. I'm surprised I see so many votes for ATL, but lots of people do dress pretty well down here, but nothing out of the ordinary or extra notable compared to other places. It also depends on what side of the Perimeter you're on and what crowd you're seeing.

DC people do dress nice, but they don't dress anywhere near as fashionable as NYC does. It's a town of attorneys, non-profit workers and government pencil-pushers, so you don't really see many people dressing extremely daring and trendy there.

I'm surprised Dallas hasn't had many votes. Those folks know how to DRESS there.

I know the OP only asked for US cities, but I do want to make note that I found people in Montreal to be quite fashionable and stylish. NYC is down the road, and the city is often made fun of for having "Paris Envy," so no surprise that people would be influenced by the American and European styles up there.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:53 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
1. NYC
2. LA
3. Miami
4. SF
5. Atlanta/DC/Chicago

Old 12-27-2009, 03:42 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGJFK View Post
Excuse me? New York doesn't do casual and laid back? And what is the basis of this argument? A photo of Midtown Manhattan during the workweek?

Here in Manhattan, we have decorum when it comes to business attire. We don't run afoul like the beach bums in San Diego and traipse into the the office or the boardroom with a backwards baseball cap, Abercrombie&Fitch board shorts, popped-collar shirt and some vile form of footwear like flip flops, for instance.

Anyway, in the case of New York; please look at thesartotialist.com and a myriad of other street-style blogs before making more false assumptions. It will come to your attention that New York City seems to the only American city worthy of their camera film - and that is not without reason.

We do casual style, but we do casual style with taste and sophistication. There is a certain level of taste that will never be reached in San Diego, Orange County, Los Angeles or wherever it is that you live.

And no, Houston or whatever middle-America city isn't well-dressed to whoever mentioned it. The supposedly "good" stores there are even so shameful. What they stock (even at Saks) is unwearable and caters to the lower forms of life. I felt like I was rummaging through a clearance bin at Target and was thoroughly disgusted. What exactly do people wear in these cities? Even the mannequins at those god-awful stores like JC Penny are overweight.

Yes please spare me the boredom, "being stylish isn't about money" yadayadayada proletariat lecture because even the mid-level stores are all laughable and/or lacking.
Hahahahahahaha.....way to effectively alienate yourself from even your NY brethren with this level of faux-snobbery in your post LOL! My goodness, we are all so impressed with your fashion-elitism....LMFAO gimme a break!

Old 12-27-2009, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
you forgot atlanta guy
Lol

Old 12-27-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGJFK View Post
Maybe "casual laid back" in New York City and Southern California mean two separate things.

Casual laid back "downtown" (taken in SoHo):

I can't find a photograph for casual "uptown" (Midtown and above), but it will probably look too dressy for those in someplace like San Diego or LA. Uptown is more mature and resembles something you'd see in a Ralph Lauren ad.
See I'd just call this "whack" rather than "casual laid back." I would have hoped you could have come up with a better photo to represent the well-dressed residents of NYC. But whatever your taste, its clear that you have no concept of "casual" or "laid back."

That group looks "stuffy" and "uptight." If I saw them walking down the street, (after stifling my laughter and holding back a few insults I'd have at the ready) I would think they were full of themselves and would not care to be anywhere near them - based on appearance alone, as that is what is relevant here. "Laid-back" is an adjective that I would use jokingly to mock them. Try again.

Side note: I'm not personally claiming to be particularly adept when it comes to fashion, as I am a straight FULL MALE and fashion week is not particularly my thing. Just giving my honest reaction to that photo being representative of your claim that that location knows how to do "casual laid back." And I don't feel that would be considered laid-back in any way in most of this country, if it even would be considered so in NYC.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:55 AM

203 posts, read 689,146 times
Celebs set the trends=Hollywood had the most celebs= they are most stylish

Old 12-27-2009, 04:52 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
Celebs set the trends=Hollywood had the most celebs= they are most stylish
Not all trends are stylish.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:00 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I say NYC is #1, bar none. The ones after that are in no order

NYC

SF
Miami
Dallas
LA

I picked them all for different reasons, different styles and how well they do them. What works in NYC wouldn't necessarily work in LA and Vice-Versa.

I debated about Atlanta and DC on my list. I'm surprised I see so many votes for ATL, but lots of people do dress pretty well down here, but nothing out of the ordinary or extra notable compared to other places. It also depends on what side of the Perimeter you're on and what crowd you're seeing.

DC people do dress nice, but they don't dress anywhere near as fashionable as NYC does. It's a town of attorneys, non-profit workers and government pencil-pushers, so you don't really see many people dressing extremely daring and trendy there.

I'm surprised Dallas hasn't had many votes. Those folks know how to DRESS there.

I know the OP only asked for US cities, but I do want to make note that I found people in Montreal to be quite fashionable and stylish. NYC is down the road, and the city is often made fun of for having "Paris Envy," so no surprise that people would be influenced by the American and European styles up there.
Dallas is overrated when it comes to being fashionable IMO. I'd rank Houston over it. I'd say Dallasites dress more sophisticated and classy while Houstonians dress style is more casual, but eccletic. It's kind of sad that us Wacoans can go to Dallas and fit right in, but go to Houston and get singled out.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:03 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not all trends are stylish.
What? This is definitely stylish:

http://www.weallscheme.com/wp-conten...vma-2009-3.jpg

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City