Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which BBQ is the best?
North Carolina (Lexington Style) 17 17.89%
Kansas City 20 21.05%
Memphis 20 21.05%
Texas Style 26 27.37%
Other (please list in reply) 12 12.63%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times

Advertisements

I like the South Carolina mustard-based style best, but Kansas City would have been the runner up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 09:20 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
I myself has only had 2 kinds North Carolina BBQ (actually Lexington style) which I think is the best out there yet and South Carolina which is mustard basted (YUUUUUKKK) worst one I have tasted yet.
Hi Stefan,

I understand that you are young and don't know anything about barbecue. That is okay, I can help.

-eastern NC and eastern SC have the same BBQ. This is vinegar based. It is not "North Carolina BBQ" or "eastern North Carolina BBQ", as it has been around for hundreds of years in any south Atlantic area that is predominantly Scottish. In my opinion, this is real "barbecue". I am surprised that you haven't tried it, since it is the predominant style where you live in Berkeley County, SC.

-western NC and upstate SC have the same BBQ. This is Lexington style, aka "ketchup on pork shoulders", and may very well have been 'invented' in North Carolina, I don't know.

-a handful of areas in South Carolina (mostly in the german areas like Orangeburg, Aiken, and Lexington counties) use mustard sauce. Outside of a few resturant owners, I have never actually met a native South Carolinian who used mustard sauce on home cooked BBQ, because anybody with any sense knows it ruins BBQ. Mustard sauce has always been more popular with BBQ chicken and pork tenderloins.

Last edited by le roi; 01-21-2010 at 09:51 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
I'm torn, really torn! I used to live in Mississippi, so we used to get a bit of Memphis and Texas style. I personally prefer dry-rub rather than dousing my meat in sauce, so I have a slight preference for Memphis-style.

However, when I have brisket or beef or something that is tomato-based, I prefer Texas style. I also like mesquite-smoked BBQ as well. No one can BBQ a cow the way Texans can.

I do love Kansas-City style. One of the better BBQ meals I've had was from Gates BBQ in KCMO. I like the spicy sauce that they tend to use.

I have tried NC style (pulled-pork w/the vinegar sauce) and I just do not like it that much. I've been to some authentic joints in NC in some of the more backwood towns and still did not like it. I guess because I grew up on Memphis and Texas style, it just wasn't something I was used to.

I would like to try the mustard-based SC version one day.

As for Famous Dave's, I thought that was St. Louis style BBQ?

I also like grilling salmon and shrimp. Delicious!

So I like many of them, but I guess I'll go for Memphis style.

Whatever, it's all delicious anyways!

Old 01-21-2010, 10:15 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I'm torn, really torn! I used to live in Mississippi, so we used to get a bit of Memphis and Texas style. I personally prefer dry-rub rather than dousing my meat in sauce, so I have a slight preference for Memphis-style.

However, when I have brisket or beef or something that is tomato-based, I prefer Texas style. I also like mesquite-smoked BBQ as well. No one can BBQ a cow the way Texans can.

I do love Kansas-City style. One of the better BBQ meals I've had was from Gates BBQ in KCMO. I like the spicy sauce that they tend to use.

I have tried NC style (pulled-pork w/the vinegar sauce) and I just do not like it that much. I've been to some authentic joints in NC in some of the more backwood towns and still did not like it. I guess because I grew up on Memphis and Texas style, it just wasn't something I was used to.

I would like to try the mustard-based SC version one day.

As for Famous Dave's, I thought that was St. Louis style BBQ?

I also like grilling salmon and shrimp. Delicious!

So I like many of them, but I guess I'll go for Memphis style.

Whatever, it's all delicious anyways!
It doesn't sound like you had the delicious Lexington-style NC barbecue. If you ever have another chance to get some (important: in the PIEDMONT area of NC) just have it without the sauce. It's fabulous.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:18 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times
Well, everytime I see one of these topics, I have to keep asking the same question over and over until maybe someday I get an answer. I know what my preference is, and I know that someday I need to get out and take a BBQ trip across the country.

With Texas in the lead at this point, what is it that's done differently that makes it better? Is it the cut of the meat? Is the NC BBQ, which usually uses a pork shoulder (aka Boston Butt) and a spice dry rub, then slowly smoked over hickory (usually) different because Texas uses a different cut of meat or is it the rub/preparation and smoking method (mesquite vs. the hickory) that makes the difference? What is done differently in Memphis?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited by superk; 01-21-2010 at 10:27 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It doesn't sound like you had the delicious Lexington-style NC barbecue. If you ever have another chance to get some (important: in the PIEDMONT area of NC) just have it without the sauce. It's fabulous.

Next time I pass through, I'm going to have to try it. I think one of the places I was in was in Henderson.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:30 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,517 times
I love pit smoke BBQ, a small joint with a real hardwood pit...Seems like most people are talking about sauce...if you have a good smoked piece of meat, it dont need sauce.

we love good german and polish kielbasa, steaks, beef and pork ribs, chicken, and all the fixings

low and slow with real hardwoods...

Someone mentioned Saltlick in Austin...

Old 01-21-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Next time I pass through, I'm going to have to try it. I think one of the places I was in was in Henderson.
I'm not sure what kind they have in Henderson, but I doubt it's Lexington style. It's probably that Eastern NC style barbecue - I don't really care for that either.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm not sure what kind they have in Henderson, but I doubt it's Lexington style. It's probably that Eastern NC style barbecue - I don't really care for that either.

Yes, it was Eastern NC style. I remember the vinegary sauce and the pulled pork.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Yes, it was Eastern NC style. I remember the vinegary sauce and the pulled pork.
Another big difference is that Eastern NC style uses the "whole hog", while Lexington style uses only pork shoulder. It brings a different taste from the beginning...and then the sauces are quite different too.

I kinda think that barbecue preferences mostly depend on what a person grew up with or either what he/she has become accustomed to. It seems rare for anyone to switch allegiances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City