Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:09 PM

888 posts, read 886,234 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen a true thread on this subject yet.

Which US cities have the highest percentage of twentysomethings that exhibit the following sociological characteristics:

-Abnormally high levels of narcissism and self-centeredness
-Irrational superiority complex regarding their own age groups as well as those in other age groups
-Severe overestimation of the intrinsic value of their own ideas compared to those in society and in previous generations
-Deep and unrealistic sense of entitlement
-Refute and/or resist older generations value to society (unless they have monetary or power value)
-Low levels of emotional intelligence or emotional maturity
-High levels of denial/low-levels of acceptance when confronted with the an aggregate perception of mediocrity in their societal production (as evaluated by multi-generational peers)

Some other characteristics could be:
-Obsessive social networking tendencies
-Learning behavioral and intellectual cues from the media, Hollywood, soundbites, and twitter summaries (as opposed to reading books - hard copy or electronic - and learning technical and detailed analytical techniques).

My top 5 choices are:
Washington DC
Washington DC suburbs
Manhattan
San Francisco
Silicon Valley

Yes, I work at a Law Firm.
Yes, we are currently terminating their employment.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:12 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,825 times
ppl won't like me but I'll say........Dallas (runs away)

Old 01-06-2010, 01:15 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,104 times
West Side (Los Angeles) falls heavily into this category, getting cut off in traffic by some 21 year old in a Ferrari while he's texting, people paying nearly a thousand dollars for jeans with holes in them so they can appear Hollywood dressed down.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:19 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,043 times
I'd say places like Williamsburg Brookllyn would have more of these types over Manhattan.... any place with a large amount of hipsters.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:29 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
I haven't seen a true thread on this subject yet.

Which US cities have the highest percentage of twentysomethings that exhibit the following sociological characteristics:

-Abnormally high levels of narcissism and self-centeredness
-Irrational superiority complex regarding their own age groups as well as those in other age groups
-Severe overestimation of the intrinsic value of their own ideas compared to those in society and in previous generations
-Deep and unrealistic sense of entitlement
-Refute and/or resist older generations value to society (unless they have monetary or power value)
-Low levels of emotional intelligence or emotional maturity
-High levels of denial/low-levels of acceptance when confronted with the an aggregate perception of mediocrity in their societal production (as evaluated by multi-generational peers)

Some other characteristics could be:
-Obsessive social networking tendencies
-Learning behavioral and intellectual cues from the media, Hollywood, soundbites, and twitter summaries (as opposed to reading books - hard copy or electronic - and learning technical and detailed analytical techniques).

My top 5 choices are:
Washington DC
Washington DC suburbs
Manhattan
San Francisco
Silicon Valley

Yes, I work at a Law Firm.
Yes, we are currently terminating their employment.
Funny, I was just going to say that it sounded like you described the associates at *my* DC law firm. LOL

Old 01-06-2010, 01:43 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,392 times
Doesn't this pretty much describe 95% of urban 20somethings?

Old 01-06-2010, 02:09 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,186,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
ppl won't like me but I'll say........Dallas (runs away)
lol! yeah that actually does sound a lot like the elitist yuppie culture in Dallas.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:16 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
First place that came to my mind - Washington, DC.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:25 PM

643 posts, read 1,485,362 times
I think those characteristics comprise a generational (not geographical) profile. The stereotypes about the Midwest - which are generally the opposite of what you've profiled, for example, are not true among this latest young-adult generation. I would say that many of the suburbs of Chicago fit your description to a "T".

Old 01-06-2010, 04:26 PM

381 posts, read 814,164 times
Working at a law firm has a lot to do with your perceptions.

Law and software fields have a high percentage of such people. Its more about industry and not city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City