Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City in the South most likely to get a "Super Tower"?
Atlanta GA 71 44.94%
Miami Fl 33 20.89%
Charlotte NC 17 10.76%
New Orleans 2 1.27%
Other (please list in reply) 35 22.15%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 04:41 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,643,285 times

Advertisements

The Bank of America tower is not really over 1,000 feet tall, in terms of having usable floor space at that level. It just has an architectural spire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 04:55 PM

415 posts, read 1,210,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The Bank of America tower is not really over 1,000 feet tall, in terms of having usable floor space at that level. It just has an architectural spire.
Very true. And thanks (Im not quite sure who its is) for the Quick Rep.!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:26 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,880,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
Hum please ask me since Im only 18 Im an avid young aspiring architect and DOES keep up with my homestate daily Im mean Iv was only there 17 years I dont think I would miss a beat! I watch WB tv everyday I know the turmoil the banks are in and please ask me I do dare. Maybe about the promises that BofA gave small bus. but so many small bus.'s have been rejected after many years of work with BofA or maybe about the collapse of Wachovia to Merl and Llynch (SP) or any way in any banking matter maybe honestly I think HQ's should have been left in Winston-Salem not that Wacovia wasnt good enough to play with the big boys but IMOP think it wouldn have had so much influence for Wachovia to make it's decisions like it did. But please ask away!!
My point is that you're obviously not aware of how the banking crisis has affected urban development, specifically in the form of skyscrapers. That has a direct effect on Charlotte, being that the banks literally built our skyline. We're not going to see a skyscraper boom in Charlotte in the coming years like we've seen in the past 10-15 years. We'll probably see a highrise here and there, but the quantity will significantly decrease. Things have totally changed. More emphasis will be on parks, lowrise/midrise infill, and retail, the things that uptown truly lack. This isn't the type of stuff that WBTV reports, by the way. You have to read more in-depth analyses, things like this, to truly grasp the implications of what's going on.

By the way, Wachovia was bought by Wells Fargo, not Merrill Lynch. Bank of America acquired Merrill Lynch.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:00 PM

415 posts, read 1,210,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
My point is that you're obviously not aware of how the banking crisis has affected urban development, specifically in the form of skyscrapers. That has a direct effect on Charlotte, being that the banks literally built our skyline. We're not going to see a skyscraper boom in Charlotte in the coming years like we've seen in the past 10-15 years. We'll probably see a highrise here and there, but the quantity will significantly decrease. Things have totally changed. More emphasis will be on parks, lowrise/midrise infill, and retail, the things that uptown truly lack. This isn't the type of stuff that WBTV reports, by the way. You have to read more in-depth analyses, things like this, to truly grasp the implications of what's going on.

By the way, Wachovia was bought by Wells Fargo, not Merrill Lynch. Bank of America acquired Merrill Lynch.
Sorry I was more focused on eating I wasnt paying attention, But these are things you have already stated I don't need an echo I have a college reading level. By the way I didnt say that what I watched was where I get my information, It's just what I watch everyday to keep in touch, I also read the Charlotte Business Journal and others. And I am very aware that the banks built our skyline but you also have to question, the Hearst Towers, the Intestate tower, and some more, I understand that the bank was the backbone to our skyline but not all of it. And its already happening with the mid rises coming up and not just in uptown its also happening in Ballantyne and other parts of the city outskirts. So please I don't need your input if it's that bad and think my perception of the city or the state I was born in and lived in for 17 years of my life please don't read any of my post's and threads I start!

Thanks!
Stefan Taylor Cutts

Old 01-09-2010, 07:01 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times
Ill go on record as saying I dont think any city in the south will get a super tall like the one in Dubai, Taipei 101, or the Petronas Towers.

Only NYC or Chicago has a shot at that.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:05 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,190,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Ill go on record as saying I dont think any city in the south will get a super tall like the one in Dubai, Taipei 101, or the Petronas Towers.

I agree. Not for a long time if ever and that's including Texas. They where building the Chicago Spire which would have been over 2000 feet, but that project is on hold last I checked.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:05 PM

789 posts, read 1,528,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

And to be honest I wouldn't want one of those impractically stupid super towers. When I actually found out how tall the World Trade Building's were the first thing that came out of my mouth was, "Why would you build a building that tall?". It just makes no sense to me. The buildings in Downtown Houston are tall enough, haha.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:12 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,880,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
And I am very aware that the banks built our skyline but you also have to question, the Hearst Towers, the Intestate tower, and some more, I understand that the bank was the backbone to our skyline but not all of it.
Hearst Tower is owned by BOA. Others like Interstate, Carillon, etc. were built to house banking-related industries (lawyers, accountants, etc.).

Quote:
And its already happening with the mid rises coming up and not just in uptown its also happening in Ballantyne and other parts of the city outskirts.
I'm not talking about the suburban areas. You can find those types of office buildings in any city/metro area of significant size. I'm talking about uptown.

Quote:
So please I don't need your input if it's that bad and think my perception of the city or the state I was born in and lived in for 17 years of my life please don't read any of my post's and threads I start!
You have never lived in Charlotte, and just because you were born and raised in NC doesn't mean you know everything there is to know about Charlotte. That's like me saying that because I live in Charlotte, I should know everything there is to know about Wilmington or Rocky Mount. It doesn't quite work like that. For instance, you live in SC now but you know very little about the state beyond Cross and Charleston. That's not a slam on you, but that's just how things work.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:21 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,821,074 times
1. What is a "college reading level" and how can one have it at 17 years old?

2. Wouldn't a college reading level logically lead to a college writing level?

Just wondering.

I doubt any city will be getting a "super tower" any time soon...but sometime in the not-too-distant future cities like Atlanta, Miami, Houston, or Dallas will get a new tallest.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 01-09-2010 at 07:33 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 07:22 PM

20,519 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I haven't been to DC in like 6 years. Are they building them inside the District or in Virginia? I remember one of the VA cities (I think it was Arlington) had a nice skyline but I don't remember anything close to 1000+ feet though.

Nothing really tall will be built inside DC. Virginia has some obstacles since National and Dulles are close to some of the mode centers like Crystal City and Rosslyn(National) and Tyson's Corner (Dulles). However, Bethesda and Silver Spring could get a very tall tower but they don't. The states of Virginia and Maryland don't have very tall towers to begin with and that's a mystery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City