Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:33 PM

21 posts, read 23,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Regional city? Chicago is at least as prominent on the international scene as Toronto. Toronto may be Canada's premiere city but the US and Canada are not in the same league. America's 3rd or 4th or 5th city could easily be more prominent than Canada's 1st.
Sorry, kid. You have no idea what you are talking about. Being the largest city in any country has its perks like having most of national TV stations, theaters, radio, media etc etc. There is nothing like this in Chicago. Instead of nit-picking on particular words in my post try to focus on things that make Toronto a better city then Chicago like much lower crime, constant population growth and world-famous culture. Remember, Toronto hosts the third largest film festival in the world, one of the most renowned jass festivals. There is simply no internatial cultural event of that stature taking place in Chicago. Like I said, being the largest city and de facto capital of the country has its perks. Toronto wins this easily.

PS. You probably haven't heard it down south but Toronto is generally considered a cultural wonder city, in the same league as New York, London and Paris.

Last edited by justintheneighborhood; 01-15-2010 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 04:32 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
Toronto has a cosmopolitan, world city flair that is somewhat lacking in Chicago. It has enormous areas of parkland (rouge valley) and forested ravines within the city limits which make overall density comparisons misleading, since these large uninhabited areas mean that the built up areas are actually very dense (the old 36 square mile city core has over 20,000/square mile and the densest neighbourhood in the city has over 160,000 people per square mile). As far as public transit goes, in addition to the subway and streetcars, the city also has bus routes with 3 minute frequencies in the far flung areas 15 kilometers from downtown!

Old 01-16-2010, 02:10 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justintheneighborhood View Post
Sorry, kid. You have no idea what you are talking about. Being the largest city in any country has its perks like having most of national TV stations, theaters, radio, media etc etc. There is nothing like this in Chicago. Instead of nit-picking on particular words in my post try to focus on things that make Toronto a better city then Chicago like much lower crime, constant population growth and world-famous culture. Remember, Toronto hosts the third largest film festival in the world, one of the most renowned jass festivals. There is simply no internatial cultural event of that stature taking place in Chicago. Like I said, being the largest city and de facto capital of the country has its perks. Toronto wins this easily.

PS. You probably haven't heard it down south but Toronto is generally considered a cultural wonder city, in the same league as New York, London and Paris.
If you're talking solely about cultural influence, then I could agree that Toronto wins but not when you take everything else into account. Chicago has over twice the GDP of Toronto and is ranked as the 7th greatest global financial center in the world (Toronto is 11th). Chicago is ranked ahead of Toronto as a commerce center. Chicago has the Chicago Board Options Exchange, the Chicago board of Trade, the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, and the Chicago Stock Exchange. 80% of the world's commodities are traded in Chicago. I'll take economics over a film festival that no one outside of film circles gives a crap about any day.

And in terms of political influence? Well, Chicago just produced the President of the United States. Toronto could be the home to all of Canada's leaders and it still wouldn't matter.

And I know you think being the most prominent city in a country automatically makes a city important (I'm sure people in Harare are cheering you on) but we're talking about the United States here. And just for the record, Chicago is the 3rd largest media market in North America, Toronto is 4th (according to Wiki).

Old 01-16-2010, 02:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:

No it's not. Toronto might be as diverse as those cities, but you must be dreaming if you think it's on their level.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:08 PM

184 posts, read 571,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No it's not. Toronto might be as diverse as those cities, but you must be dreaming if you think it's on their level.
I bet he is.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:13 PM

184 posts, read 571,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
toronto and chicago are so similar. They both could learn alot from each other(but i think chicago could learn alot more from toronto).
I don't think Chicago has alot to learn from Toronto. Maybe it's the other way around. IMO.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:48 PM

11 posts, read 14,827 times
This is a stupid comparison.

Gee, let's compare vibrant, booming, safe Toronto, with a giant rustbelt city that has lost one-third of its population, and has lost more residents than any other American city since 2000.

Oh, and anyone want to compare the murder rate, economy, or race relations?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:13 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
hate to break the news to you, but it is only Canadians who think Toronto is on the same level as Paris, London, and NYC. None of the rest of the World does.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:47 PM

21 posts, read 23,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
hate to break the news to you, but it is only Canadians who think Toronto is on the same level as Paris, London, and NYC. None of the rest of the World does.

Let me recap:
Toronto has three times lower murder rate than Chicago and less overall crime. Even thou it is much smaller than Chicago, Toronto has the second largest transportation system in North America, second only to NYC. Unlike Chicago, Toronto is constantly gaining population... What exactly could Toronto learn from Chicago? For me it is a clear winner. A better organized city. Much more diverse, much more cultured. Much more succesfull.

And yes, Toronto's cultural expreince was rated number FOUR in the world. Right after New York City and right before LA. Chicago is number 20. Questions?
The chart below was compiled by Foreign Policy and GAWC: Foreign Policy: The 2008 Global Cities Index

Bydand, maybe it's just that you don't know much about the rest of the world, huh?

PDX_LAX,

ROTFL. Chicago did not PRODUCE the president of the United States, as far as I know he was born in Hawaii, not produced. ROTFL.
Face it, Chicago's political influence in the US is minimal, well behind DC, New York (Wall Street and media) , LA (media), Houston (oil) while Toronto is de facto capital of Canada.
Toronto has more TV stations and media than Chicago but since it is less populous it is a represents smaller media market than Chicago's. That's all.

Last edited by justintheneighborhood; 01-16-2010 at 09:36 PM..

Old 01-16-2010, 09:05 PM

11 posts, read 14,827 times
Chicago has more of the following than Toronto:

1. Murders
2. Pollution
3. White flight
4. Population loss
5. Unemployment
6. Economic decline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City