Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is best known?
Fort Collins 0 0%
Greeley 0 0%
Boulder 62 53.45%
Aurora 1 0.86%
Colorado Springs 52 44.83%
Pueblo 1 0.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:43 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,998,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I do and that comes from bloging on different sites including this one. Ever since I was a kid the nick name of the Springs was "the bible belt of the west" and people would say that where conservative and relgious just not as far right as many of the places in the Springs including Focus on the Family. Again I am not talking about if it's right or not that is debatable but I have heard that companies who did move there had a hard time attracting the kind of employees they needed. That on top of the little to no incentives they give is the reason the Springs is not attracting employers. Pueblo is kind of like "the little engine that could". Everyone in the state wrote us off but little at a time we kep saying "I think I can" and now we have multi million dollar projects being planned, the states fastest growing university and large companies moving here and you hear words like "renaissance". The next 10 years should be fun.
You'll have to be able to give specific examples to convince me that corporations have chosen not to move to Colorado Springs because of its conservative/religious perceptions. I'm sure that there have been companies who have chosen other places for other reasons, but I doubt that there have been any that have done so over the conservative image of the city.
Maybe you can give a specific example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 04:50 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,456,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
You'll have to be able to give specific examples to convince me that corporations have chosen not to move to Colorado Springs because of its conservative/religious perceptions. I'm sure that there have been companies who have chosen other places for other reasons, but I doubt that there have been any that have done so over the conservative image of the city.
Maybe you can give a specific example.
The tech industry is a good example. The Springs was on its way to becoming a great tech city but for a few reasons they did not and now companies are leaving including HP and Intell. There was no one reason but a few and one of the reasons is they had a hard time attracting employees because of the perception of Colorado Springs.

I will say that the larger reason is lack of incentives but that comes as a direct result of the kind of people that move to a city like Colorado Springs. Thus, they do not want to spend any money to help out the town unless it directly bennifits them and that is rarely the case. That is why they vote down most referemdums. I can site many examples of this, the convention center, HP, PBR and look at the trouble it caused then they did give incentives to the USOC.

The bottom line is the Springs does little to make it a better town and that is slowly coming back to haunt them. Wait 10 years as Pueblo keeps doing what we are doing then you will see what I mean.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:53 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,104 times
Real or imagined Colorado Springs has a less than savory reputation with progressives..Yes as discussed earlier Focus on The Family is far from representative of most of the Front Range. We tend to lean more towards the left. I remember people terribly judging me while living in the Springs because I was from Boulder, it maybe different now. I was anything but impressed by the backwards behavior of the that town,again that was a long time ago. Between the two though Boulder is much more sought after as the better place to live. Colorado Springs is pretty well known though..but don't mention it in the same breath as Denver...they are nothing alike..obviously Boulder is the anti- Colorado Springs..Beam Palo Alto inland..wa la..you have Boulder.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:01 PM

I wouldn't consider that a specific example, Joss. You've generalized and kept your answer on a wide scale without being able to identify a specific example. If this were an assignment in a college class, this would fall short of the academic standard.

Now I am not arguing that Colorado Springs has a conservative image, I'm saying that it does not have an intolerant one. I'm sure that there may be those who disagree, but on a whole, I do not believe this to be the case.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't consider that a specific example, Joss. You've generalized and kept your answer on a wide scale without being able to identify a specific example. If this were an assignment in a college class, this would fall short of the academic standard.

Now I am not arguing that Colorado Springs has a conservative image, I'm saying that it does not have an intolerant one. I'm sure that there may be those who disagree, but on a whole, I do not believe this to be the case.
To be honost that is the best I can get unless I do research and this is not a topic I care enough to spend hours looking up the tech companies that had issues. I just know growing up that I heard from many people from Pueblo and Colorado Springs what I just told you.

That would be a interesting poll on city data though....

Old 01-21-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
To be honost that is the best I can get unless I do research and this is not a topic I care enough to spend hours looking up the tech companies that had issues. I just know growing up that I heard from many people from Pueblo and Colorado Springs what I just told you.
Unless you're really interested, don't waste your time. I'm content to believe that for as many people out there that agree with me, there'll be those who agree with you.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Unless you're really interested, don't waste your time. I'm content to believe that for as many people out there that agree with me, there'll be those who agree with you.
Then why do you think the Springs is losing companies like PBR, HP, Intell, Apple, etc. This is not a good trend when other cities like Pueblo are attracting large companies.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:21 PM

I'm not an economist, but I'm sure it has more to do with the recession and slowing of growth in the area than with the "intolerance" of the city. A lot of cities across the country are victims of the companies located there downsizing, laying off employees, things like that, so Colorado Springs is not the only city where this is happening.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not an economist, but I'm sure it has more to do with the recession and slowing of growth in the area than with the "intolerance" of the city. A lot of cities across the country are victims of the companies located there downsizing, laying off employees, things like that, so Colorado Springs is not the only city where this is happening.
This goes way beyong the recession. They lost PBR to Pueblo. HP moved to Alburquie and Little Rock. Intell and Apple both left before the recession.

In the past 10 years all the Springs is able to attract is military related companies. I am not saying the major reason is the perception of the town but there is a reason and they need to figure it out.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:32 PM

Like I said, I'm not an economist. I'm actually not even a Colorado Springs resident, nor have I even lived there. I keep an eye on it because I consider it a possible destination for when I retire from the service. (So watch it when you talk about "the kind of people who would move to Colorado Springs"!)

Despite the IT industry downsizing in Colorado Springs (it has leveled off since 2008) the city is slightly below national average for unemployment, at 6.3%. US average is 6.4%.

By comparison, Colorado is at 5.3%, Denver at 5.9%, and Pueblo at 7.9%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City