Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Insecure U.S City?
New York City 12 13.79%
L.A 4 4.60%
Chicago 13 14.94%
Houston 23 26.44%
Washington D.C 1 1.15%
Boston 0 0%
Philadelphia 4 4.60%
San Francisco (Bay Area in general) 5 5.75%
Dallas/Fort Worth 3 3.45%
Atlanta 17 19.54%
Miami 1 1.15%
Other 4 4.60%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:26 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Did anyone actually read the OT; we aren't suppose to be basing this off City-Data and certain posters.

I pick Atlanta and Dallas.

The difference between Houston, Dallas and Atlanta is that Houston knows its place. The latter two are trying their hardest to rank up with the big leagues.
Jeez your so unreasonable jluke! You can't let things like topics get in the way of a good Houston bashing. Your ruining everyone's fun!

Oh and @ the OP, I like your comment directed the Chicago's most famous troll on these boards. I'm getting sick of seeing that moron derailing perfectly good threads.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Did anyone actually read the OT; we aren't suppose to be basing this off City-Data and certain posters.

I pick Atlanta and Dallas.

The difference between Houston, Dallas and Atlanta is that Houston knows its place. The latter two are trying their hardest to rank up with the big leagues.
OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!

Houston is just about as guilty and Atlanta and Dallas is in this case. Their nose is NOT clean in this. Sorry.

There have been too many threads on here with Houstonians bragging about being the 4th Largest city in the US, dragging out GDP figures and pointless arguments about density. When Dallas argues that it's a larger metro area (with Ft Worth, it is), Houstonians drag out the tired argument that Dallas is 'cheating' because they're metro area includes Ft Worth. But it's understood that DFW serve as a multipolar unit that essentially functions as one. But nevermind mere facts when trying to win an argument.

Or argue how much smaller Atlanta is when they're trying to make an argument because they're only including the city of 500,000 ppl itself rather than the entire metro area, which has 5.5 milion people.

I see this crap all the time anytime Dallas, Houston or Atlanta are mentioned, and it gets pretty tiresome and exhausting. Even in the monster Dallas vs Atlanta thread, Houston was bought up a LOT of times. I think with the similar metro populations and growth history being in the sunbelt, people tend to nitpicking over the silliest of things. To me, they have many similarities, and they're all great cities to me in their own right.

If anything, I'd say that Houston is on the same tier as Atlanta/Dallas/Philadelphia/Miami.

If anyone has the Alpha/Beta/Gamma city ranks, Houston/Dallas/Atlanta are usually pretty close.

Given our past back and forth about this, I know you'll try and argue me down about this, but frankly, we could throw statistics around and it wil be pointless and futile and I honestly don't care. It's late and I need to get up and go to work in the morning, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!

Houston is just about as guilty and Atlanta and Dallas is in this case. Their nose is NOT clean in this. Sorry.

There have been too many threads on here with Houstonians bragging about being the 4th Largest city in the US, dragging out GDP figures and pointless arguments about density. When Dallas argues that it's a larger metro area (with Ft Worth, it is), Houstonians drag out the tired argument that Dallas is 'cheating' because they're metro area includes Ft Worth. But it's understood that DFW serve as a multipolar unit that essentially functions as one. But nevermind mere facts when trying to win an argument.

Or argue how much smaller Atlanta is when they're trying to make an argument because they're only including the city of 500,000 ppl itself rather than the entire metro area, which has 5.5 milion people.

I see this crap all the time anytime Dallas, Houston or Atlanta are mentioned, and it gets pretty tiresome and exhausting. Even in the monster Dallas vs Atlanta thread, Houston was bought up a LOT of times. I think with the similar populations and growth history being in the sunbelt, they have many similarities, and they're all great cities to me in their own right.

If anything, I'd say that Houston is on the same tier as Atlanta/Dallas/Philadelphia/Miami/Boston/SF.

Given our past back and forth about this, I know you'll try and argue me down about this, but frankly, we could throw statistics around and it wil be pointless and futile and I honestly don't care. It's late and I need to get up and go to work in the morning, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Actually I agree with you. However, I'm trying to separate city-data from reality. That's why I quoted the OT.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
Houston and Atlanta tied. They think their cities are so much better than they really are.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!

I see this crap all the time anytime Dallas, Houston or Atlanta are mentioned, and it gets pretty tiresome and exhausting. Even in the monster Dallas vs Atlanta thread, Houston was bought up a LOT of times. I think with the similar populations and growth history being in the sunbelt, they have many similarities, and they're all great cities to me in their own right.

If anything, I'd say that Houston is on the same tier as Atlanta/Dallas/Philadelphia/Miami/Boston/SF.

HAHAHA! I agree.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:42 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Houston and Atlanta tied. They think their cities are so much better than they really are.
And you know this how?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:47 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Well it really has to do with the roles of cities changing. Cities fall and rise in prominence and some hold on to it, gain it (lose it) better than others. Some people can't handle that. Atlanta has been a major cultural and economic center for a long time, but could you imagine what it would be if cities like New Orleans, Houston, Miami and Dallas hadn't popped up?
Very interesting points. I must admit I have never even imagined the scenario of the other cities never popping up. It's a little scary, in a way.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:48 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
We don't want to be the most trendy/popular! Who would want to needlessly embellish or be a poser-magnet? No, we just don't like being lied about and having people pretend to know what they're talking about when they really don't... especially when it happens constantly. What's wrong with that?
Um yeah, that was my point all along...In my analogy, I was explaining that. Houston seems to get bashed quite a bit, particularly by people who have never set foot there ever. My point was that Houstonians get rightfully indignant, but some get a bit fanatical about it in the process.

Quote:
I guess...

You've never been, but it's boring?!? Okay!

Think of it this way. If Houston were so terrible a place, the residents would all be trying to leave in droves, and would not waste one minute defending it. Why bother? We would all say, "Everyone is right, it sucks! Get us out of here! Where can we move to?!" Do you see much of that? Instead, the city keeps growing. And growing. Maybe there's something all of you bashers are missing... alas, I expect some of this is beyond many peoples' shallow way of thinking too much inside of the box of the way things "should be", so nevermind.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:58 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,278,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Think of it this way. If Houston were so terrible a place, the residents would all be trying to leave in droves,.
Ummm no. Detroit has well over 4 million residents that aren't leaving in droves and it's a pit. Houston is bigger and like Detroit it's a pit as well.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:04 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,839,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Ummm no. Detroit has well over 4 million residents that aren't leaving in droves and it's a pit.
Oh really??
Detroit's population falls to lowest level since 1920
"Since 2000, when it had 951,270 residents, Detroit has lost the most people of any U.S. city with 100,000 or more residents."

Meanwhile, Houston has been gaining for a long time, cranes up everywhere building new developments even right now.
They are almost nothing alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Houston is bigger and like Detroit it's a pit as well.
That's BS and you know it. You're one of the Houston/Texas-bashers who has been called out on C-D many a time... and the only "bad" thing you could really "prove" about Houston was that the "places of interest" weren't centralized enough for your liking, or so you thought... big whoop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City