Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NJ Vs. OH
NJ 125 60.39%
OH 82 39.61%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 06:02 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I realize you stated this was economic, but I'm surprised you would even go there as the cities are generally thought of as NJ's weakest point. I'll confess to not really being too familiar with Ohio, but from what I have seen, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus are leagues ahead of Newark, Trenton, and certainly Camden.

As for the the subject of the thread, I'll admit this is a bit of a sticky issue for me. Obviously I have many problems with New Jersey's current state of affairs, but I'm not sure Ohio is much better in this regard, and their weather is most likely worse. If forced to choose, I would probably just take New Jersey and move somewhere in South Jersey. Ohio doesn't really appeal to me and I feel there are much more interesting states in the Midwest (Such as Michigan or Indiana, even Wisconsin)
True, Cleveland and Cincinnati are more recognized cities known for "better" things than Newark or Jersey City (I'm iffy about JC since it's a great city), but Cleveland has one of the worst economies, and it's now poorer than Newark. Newark and JC are growing, Ohio cities aren't.

(i'm in a rush, so don't mind my poor sentence structure)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 06:18 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
True, Cleveland and Cincinnati are more recognized cities known for "better" things than Newark or Jersey City (I'm iffy about JC since it's a great city), but Cleveland has one of the worst economies, and it's now poorer than Newark. Newark and JC are growing, Ohio cities aren't.

(i'm in a rush, so don't mind my poor sentence structure)
I think Ohio overall has been hit worse economically than New Jersey has. The Midwest is a pretty depressed region right now (Obviously this ranges from Ohio to more extreme examples, like Michigan).

It would be a positive step forward for New Jersey if the tourism board could promote something other than seasonal tourism (the beaches). Jersey City has a decent waterfront, so if it simply offered more and cleaned up a bit, I could see it on the rebound before a city like Newark.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:33 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Most people have no idea about Ohio, only from what they hear...which is usually wrong. I chose Ohio. I'd rather live in Cleveland, Columbus, or Cincy over any New Jersey major city.
Well, that's the thing ... NJ does NOT have any major city. It's biggest asset is that it is flanked by 2 of America's largest and most important cities - NYC and Philadelphia.

FYI, like OH, most people also have no idea about NJ.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:35 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I prefer Ohio. New Jersey is pretty much at the bottom of the barrel as far as states go. I found people in New Jersey to be among the meanest in the entire country. Ohio is much more chill....
Bottom of the barrel? I challenge you to find a more dynamic state in the US. Or a more diverse state, landscape-wise. NJ people are educated, affluent, and cultured.

NJ is the wealthiest state in the country because it's a darn desirable place to live. Top of the heap ... not bottom of the barrel.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:38 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Bottom of the barrel? I challenge you to find a more dynamic state in the US. Or a more diverse state, landscape-wise. NJ people are educated, affluent, and cultured.

NJ is the wealthiest state in the country because it's a darn desirable place to live. Top of the heap ... not bottom of the barrel.

Agreed!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:08 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Obviously NJ is my home so I went with NJ, but aside from that...

Ohio is a nice state which offers its residents good opportunities and a nice quality of life. Still, NJ offers much more despite being a smaller state. Our shore is one obvious advantage, but we also have a more temperate climate, we are located right next door to two cities much larger than anything Ohio has, and we have a more diverse and educated population.

I realize a lot of people don't know much about NJ other than its (unfairly) negative reputation, but that's OK, they either just don't know what NJ is really like or, in the case of a few, they're jealous. That's not to say that people who pick Ohio over NJ feel that way; I'm only referring to those who show either an ignorance or a deliberate misrepresentation of NJ in making their pick. For those who know how NJ really is and choose Ohio, that's fine, everyone has different preferences, but they represent their preferences more credibly when they make a comparison with how NJ really is rather than the inaccurate negative reputation so many attribute to the state.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:32 AM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
NJ. Lovely towns, proximity to NYC and the shore.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
The truth??? People are so far detached from reality there... I've never been to a place where people walk right up to you and call you a "fa**ot" for no reason whatsoever.
As a person born and raised here, something like that has never happened to me. I've been places (outside of NJ), an I've been in altercations with people who started smack talking us because we were from NJ (I was in some town outside of New Orleans), all I know is that I didn't start it.
I'm not going to label the state and its people because of that particular incident... I'm smarter than that. (besides- the rest of this kind county wouldn't have as much fun bashing Louisiana instead of New Jersey )
This is why when I hear people bash NJ beyond recognition without any recognition of the state to begin with I start to think.... ah... another ignoramus

Not to be rude or anything...

PS: Louisiana is a fine state with fantastic food, I have nothing against it.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Very true post, and that's probably how a lot of votes are going to go, to people's home state.

As for NJ's cities, excluding Camden, they are still job centers, especially Jersey City and the "Gold Coast" They are also accessible from from all parts of the state. There isn't a singe part of the state that isn't commuting distance from one of NJ's major cities/job centers.
Nice post.
Jersey City is pretty much secretly and rapidly growing (commercial and residential wise). Not too many people outside of the Hudson County area realize this. It's predicted to peak 315K+ by 2035 which is remarkable since the city is only 15 square miles!

Why is everyone referring to Camden like it's the next big thing NJ has... Paterson, Elizabeth, and Edison are bigger and more productive and these cities have yet to be mentioned.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:01 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
As a person born and raised here, something like that has never happened to me. I've been places (outside of NJ), an I've been in altercations with people who started smack talking us because we were from NJ (I was in some town outside of New Orleans), all I know is that I didn't start it.
I'm not going to label the state and its people because of that particular incident... I'm smarter than that. (besides- the rest of this kind county wouldn't have as much fun bashing Louisiana instead of New Jersey )
This is why when I hear people bash NJ beyond recognition without any recognition of the state to begin with I start to think.... ah... another ignoramus

Not to be rude or anything...

PS: Louisiana is a fine state with fantastic food, I have nothing against it.
Sorry, but my visit to New Jersey was like a trip to hell. Thats just what I expericenced there. Not only rude people, but stinky air, and trash everywhere. I didn't like the place a bit. I'm sure New Jersey has some very pleasant people, I just didn't encounter any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City