Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 04:22 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times

Advertisements

For a second I was thinking this would be how different places treat the same ethnic group differently.

Like I've heard in parts of Toronto, I think it was, Jamaicans are seen as drug-dealers and crooks. However there are American cities where people ask "why don't American-born blacks do as well as Jamaicans?" Back home in Arkansas some saw the Vietnamese in a very negative light, but in other places they were/are seen as a "model minority."

Some of why similar groups may be treated differently is because the subsection that emigrated here really is different. I would think it's generally easier for Puerto Ricans to come to America than Cubans so we might get a relatively average cross-section of Puerto Ricans while getting a much more highly motivated subsection of Cubans.

This next one doesn't really work because there are no stereotypes of Colombians, that I'm aware of, but Colombian-Americans are much less likely to be poor than Mexican-Americans. However Colombia itself has a lower per-capita GDP and level of development than Mexico.

Data and Resources: Demographic Profiles - Pew Hispanic Center
GDP (per capita) statistics - countries compared - NationMaster
Human Development Report 2009 - Human development index trends

Colombia is much further than Mexico and the situation or reasons for immigration might be different. Although there are real cultural differences between the two I could see an image of Colombians as wealthier coming from the stats of Colombian Americans even if it doesn't fit the experience in Colombia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 04:34 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
i think its interesting how in cali, race relations between blacks and hispanics is dramatically different than in ny. i know the ethnicities are different and there are also different factors as to why things are different, but its pretty interesting.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:44 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i think its interesting how in cali, race relations between blacks and hispanics is dramatically different than in ny. i know the ethnicities are different and there are also different factors as to why things are different, but its pretty interesting.
In LA the blacks and the Hispanics don't get along,in the Bay Area they're really close. "In Cali" is a little to general as things are completely different in one part of the state than the other.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:04 AM

938 posts, read 4,094,236 times
In NYC, many of the Blacks and Hispanics get along, because, for the most part, many of NYC's Hispanics are indeed black to some degree; Dominicans especially, but also Puerto Ricans to a lesser extent.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:27 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
In NYC, many of the Blacks and Hispanics get along, because, for the most part, many of NYC's Hispanics are indeed black to some degree; Dominicans especially, but also Puerto Ricans to a lesser extent.
Exactly

I think you also have to think of the fact that many of the Black folks in NE cities come from the Caribbean/South America like Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Columbians, etc...

Old 02-13-2010, 02:31 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Exactly

I think you also have to think of the fact that many of the Black folks in NE cities come from the Caribbean/South America like Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Columbians, etc...
There are still many non-Caribbean or African blacks in New York.

Even so, blacks and Dominicans and Puerto Ricans do seem to get along and hang out much more than blacks and Mexicans in the West.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:41 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
There are still many non-Caribbean or African blacks in New York.

Even so, blacks and Dominicans and Puerto Ricans do seem to get along and hang out much more than blacks and Mexicans in the West.
Again,it depends on what part of the West. I'm a Caribbean black and only in SoCal have I seen racial tension between blacks and Mexicans. And even there it depends where in SoCal.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:19 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
For a second I was thinking this would be how different places treat the same ethnic group differently.

Like I've heard in parts of Toronto, I think it was, Jamaicans are seen as drug-dealers and crooks. However there are American cities where people ask "why don't American-born blacks do as well as Jamaicans?" Back home in Arkansas some saw the Vietnamese in a very negative light, but in other places they were/are seen as a "model minority."

Some of why similar groups may be treated differently is because the subsection that emigrated here really is different. I would think it's generally easier for Puerto Ricans to come to America than Cubans so we might get a relatively average cross-section of Puerto Ricans while getting a much more highly motivated subsection of Cubans.

This next one doesn't really work because there are no stereotypes of Colombians, that I'm aware of, but Colombian-Americans are much less likely to be poor than Mexican-Americans. However Colombia itself has a lower per-capita GDP and level of development than Mexico.

Data and Resources: Demographic Profiles - Pew Hispanic Center
GDP (per capita) statistics - countries compared - NationMaster
Human Development Report 2009 - Human development index trends

Colombia is much further than Mexico and the situation or reasons for immigration might be different. Although there are real cultural differences between the two I could see an image of Colombians as wealthier coming from the stats of Colombian Americans even if it doesn't fit the experience in Colombia.
Historically speaking, Puerto Ricans coming to the mainland represented a much broader cross-section of the population (white, mulatto, black, poor, working-class, middle-class, even wealthy) than Cubans (virtually all white and middle-class to upper-class) until 1980. Starting with the Mariel boatlift and ever since then, the Cubans coming to the US have been a much more racially and economically diverse group.

Colombians in Miami tend to arrive and settle in middle-class areas. Outside of Miami, it seems they settle in working-class and middle-class areas like Jackson Heights (Queens), NY. Many of them have university educations or technical skills. In that way, they're similar to Mexicans (from the more well-off north of the country) immigrating to this country prior to the 1970's and 1980's. In the last 30 years or so, it seems that a lot (most?) of the Mexican immigration to the US has been from the south of the country, which is historically a lot poorer and has people of mainly indigenous origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City