Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Given the specifc criteria, which city has the major amenity edge?
Cleveland 19 33.33%
Baltimore 38 66.67%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 12:19 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times

Advertisements

Two 80 square mile legacy cities that nearly hit the 1 million population mark during America's 1950 urban heyday.

With this specific criteria in mind, which city has the edge today?

Attractions that regularly draw visitors from outside of the region

Universities that are known outside of the region for their academic prestige

Best use of waterfront for urban amenities

Metropolitan mass transit system (quality and level of investment, not just ridership. This includes airports).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 12:37 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Two 80 square mile legacy cities that nearly hit the 1 million population mark during America's 1950 urban heyday.

With this specific criteria in mind, which city has the edge today?

Attractions that regularly draw visitors from outside of the region

Universities that are known outside of the region for their academic prestige

Best use of waterfront for urban amenities

Metropolitan mass transit system (quality and level of investment, not just ridership. This includes airports).

Going off the top of my head:

Attractions that regularly draw visitors from outside of the region - The National Aquarium vs. Rock-n-Roll Hall of fame are the first two big "draws" I can think of for the two. Leaning Baltimore for the win.

Universities that are known outside of the region for their academic prestige - John Hopkins and Case Western are top-tier universities. I would say John Hopkins is a bit more prestigious in the national eye. Probably depends on what you major in though.

Best use of waterfront for urban amenities - Pictures of Cleveland's waterfront look nice, but the waterfront has and is Baltimore's big thing. It straight up was a model many cities wanted to emulate when it was built in the 1980s. So I'm leaning Baltimore

Metropolitan mass transit system (quality and level of investment, not just ridership. This includes airports) -
I don't know enough about either to really make a judgement.

I'm leaning Baltimore in this battle, but I could see it going the other way.

Old 09-06-2022, 12:52 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Attractions - (City proper) Cleveland arguably has more things that would draw from outside where Baltimore has more “in house” things to do that would keep you in the city longer.

Universities - Cleveland isn’t lacking it’s just Hopkins is well Hopkins. No need to go further.

Waterfront - Baltimore and it’s not even close.

MSA Mass Transit - Baltimore. Baltimore has a subway & light rail (a blight very limited) on top of multiple regional rail lines the carve through the city. Regarding airports, BWI is substantially larger than Cleveland Hopkins with more flight options and it’s linked via the rail systems earlier mentioned.

Old 09-06-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Going off the top of my head:

Attractions that regularly draw visitors from outside of the region - The National Aquarium vs. Rock-n-Roll Hall of fame are the first two big "draws" I can think of for the two. Leaning Baltimore for the win.

Universities that are known outside of the region for their academic prestige - John Hopkins and Case Western are top-tier universities. I would say John Hopkins is a bit more prestigious in the national eye. Probably depends on what you major in though.

Best use of waterfront for urban amenities - Pictures of Cleveland's waterfront look nice, but the waterfront has and is Baltimore's big thing. It straight up was a model many cities wanted to emulate when it was built in the 1980s. So I'm leaning Baltimore

Metropolitan mass transit system (quality and level of investment, not just ridership. This includes airports) -
I don't know enough about either to really make a judgement.

I'm leaning Baltimore in this battle, but I could see it going the other way.
Good points, I guess as one of the lone Cleveland voters I should defend my vote.

Growing up as a kid, I had heard "John Hopkins" plenty of times without even knowing where it was. I give that one to Baltimore, but I could be wrong.

NBA/NFL/MLB, Playhouse Square, Rock and Roll hall of fame seems to give Cleveland a decided edge.

I gave Cleveland the waterfront for having a Great Lake beach, whereas Baltimore's waterfront seems to be more associated with industry than entertainment/leisure. Again, I could be wrong.

Here is where I strayed far from conventional wisdom-I voted Cleveland for mass transit.

Baltimore is located in the ACELA corridor, while Cleveland is located in a region where they have to go against the grain of anti-mass transit sentiment every day. Unsurprisingly their ridership numbers are at the bottom of the ocean, but:

-a heavy rail subway larger than Baltimore that connects to the airport. Its widely accepted that the RNC chose Cleveland for having this capability. Though Baltimore has a much larger light rail system, I gave this to Cleveland given the degree of difficulty their heavy rail meets.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:18 PM

4,517 posts, read 5,090,184 times
I'm a homer, I admit it, so Cleveland got my vote... but these 2 are very close. Baltimore, obviously, wins this historic tip,... but otherwise?

Attractions - on a national level: Nat'l Aquarium vs. Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. There's a strong argument for both, but I think the Rock Hall is now internationally recognized and the inductions and induction ceremony is a source of worldwide interest and conversation, even when inductions aren't in Cleveland -- but the R&RHOF is closely associated with C-Town. The National Aquarium is absolutely awesome, though, and a tribute to B'More for grabbing it from DC.

As for general attractions, including hot neighborhoods, I feel Cleveland has a substantial leg up: E. 4th/lower Euclid/Gateway, The Flats (more, below), Ohio City, Tremont, University Circle (one of the finest and most beautiful museum/arts/education centers in the nation. Playhouse Square theaters; Edgewater Park (more below), Little Italy (beats B'More's LI, though Baltimore's is nice)...

Universities - Yeah, Case Western is a very, very good school... but it ain't Hopkins.

Waterfront - "Baltimore and it’s not even close.".
30 years ago (even 25), I would have agreed... today, I strongly disagree. Yes, I'd still give Baltimore an edge... but it's now a very slight edge -- a tribute to Cleveland's robust waterfront growth and Balto's slight decline -- and that Baltimore edge is only because of the surviving retail in Harborplace whereas Cleveland's Flats (my main comparator, has none. Aside from retail, it's a very close call. The aforementioned National Aquarium is a huge get for B'more, no doubt... In terms of restaurants, clubs, and sheer fun, Cleveland's Flats wins easily IMHO. And while the Inner Harbor has more paddleboats, kayaks, and other small craft, Cleveland's waterfront is gaining with similar boat rentals... and even jet skis, too (but those are more geared to adjacent Lake Erie -- an asset Baltimore lacks. And yes we all know Cleveland's ugly industrialization of its waterfront (and yes, the Cuyahoga River oil slick/bridge fire of 53 years ago), it has really been cleaned up in recent decades -- you now see crew shells along with yachts and other pleasure craft ... and the football field length oar freighters, too.

... and Lake Erie now has North Coast Harbor, next to the Rock Hall and Great Lakes Science Center, which has become a real people place, too, with the marina, boat rentals, the USS Cod (submarine), Goodtime III local cruise ship and many sailboats, water and jet skiing, etc. And with the massive EPA-Lake Erie cleanup of recent decades, Edgewater Park has emerged as a strong regional beach -- complete with a 4-year-old grand, 2-level beachhouse. The Edgewater pier along with the adjacent beachfront bolders are still an attraction.

Last summer I texted photos from busy, blue-water Edgewater beach to friends, and they honestly believed we were in Florida or Cali.

MSA Mass Transit - Baltimore wins... largely because it is in the electrified NE Corridor and is connected to DC with 2 commuter railroads along with Acela/Amtrak, which also links the entire East Coast inside a couple of hours. Even though MTA has more route mileage (both cities, which are small major metros, are blessed to have both heavy and light rail), I do like Cleveland's Rapid better. The Cleveland Rapid is better integrated and easier to use. The MTA and Light Rail are disjointed operations that don't even interface with one another. I do like the Baltimore Metro Line, though. Thoroughly modern, like its DC neighbor, and super fast.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post

MSA Mass Transit - Baltimore wins... largely because it is in the electrified NE Corridor and is connected to DC with 2 commuter railroads along with Acela/Amtrak, which also links the entire East Coast inside a couple of hours. Even though MTA has more route mileage (both cities, which are small major metros, are blessed to have both heavy and light rail), I do like Cleveland's Rapid better. The Cleveland Rapid is better integrated and easier to use. The MTA and Light Rail are disjointed operations that don't even interface with one another. I do like the Baltimore Metro Line, though. Thoroughly modern, like its DC neighbor, and super fast.
If Baltimore's interurban rail system beats Cleveland's, then so be it, but I don't think they should get credit for Acela. This is why I specified MSA mass transit. Cleveland has what they have in spite of existing in a state where anti mass transit sentiment comes straight from the seat of government.

Old 09-06-2022, 05:54 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Waterfront - "Baltimore and it’s not even close.".
30 years ago (even 25), I would have agreed... today, I strongly disagree. Yes, I'd still give Baltimore an edge... but it's now a very slight edge -- a tribute to Cleveland's robust waterfront growth and Balto's slight decline -- and that Baltimore edge is only because of the surviving retail in Harborplace whereas Cleveland's Flats (my main comparator, has none. Aside from retail, it's a very close call. The aforementioned National Aquarium is a huge get for B'more, no doubt... In terms of restaurants, clubs, and sheer fun, Cleveland's Flats wins easily IMHO. And while the Inner Harbor has more paddleboats, kayaks, and other small craft, Cleveland's waterfront is gaining with similar boat rentals... and even jet skis, too (but those are more geared to adjacent Lake Erie -- an asset Baltimore lacks. And yes we all know Cleveland's ugly industrialization of its waterfront (and yes, the Cuyahoga River oil slick/bridge fire of 53 years ago), it has really been cleaned up in recent decades -- you now see crew shells along with yachts and other pleasure craft ... and the football field length oar freighters, too.

... and Lake Erie now has North Coast Harbor, next to the Rock Hall and Great Lakes Science Center, which has become a real people place, too, with the marina, boat rentals, the USS Cod (submarine), Goodtime III local cruise ship and many sailboats, water and jet skiing, etc. And with the massive EPA-Lake Erie cleanup of recent decades, Edgewater Park has emerged as a strong regional beach -- complete with a 4-year-old grand, 2-level beachhouse. The Edgewater pier along with the adjacent beachfront bolders are still an attraction.
Baltimore hasn’t “declined” in its waterfront amenities, it’s grown hilariously and the center of focus has just shifted. Yes Harbor Place was amazing in its hay day but 30 years ago but in that same Fells Point & Port Covington where warehouses/train yards and abandoned while Harbor Point/East didn’t even exist. On a city proper level, the level of waterfront development/amenities Baltimore has built and continues to build vs. Cleveland is not even remotely comparable.

Yes, Baltimore lacks Lake Erie but the Chesapeake Bay is more than adequate enough to suffice for any and all water activities and amenities (on a MSA) level. This is before we get into things like Cruise Ships or Fleet Week’s which Baltimore can and does support, and Cleveland doesn’t.

Last edited by Joakim3; 09-06-2022 at 06:08 PM..

Old 09-06-2022, 08:40 PM

4,517 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
If Baltimore's interurban rail system beats Cleveland's, then so be it, but I don't think they should get credit for Acela. This is why I specified MSA mass transit. Cleveland has what they have in spite of existing in a state where anti mass transit sentiment comes straight from the seat of government.
Good points.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:18 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Not really a question. Baltimore wins this one.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:37 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Baltimore metro rail kinda beats Cleveland easily. It actually serves the core of the city. Cleveland’s light rail skirts the industrial edge of Downtown and the Red Line has bastcally no useful stops between University City and Tower City (like 4.5 miles) Baltimore’s actually serves neighborhoods. Johns Hopkins, Shot Tower, Metro Center, Lexington Market actually serve the city center in a useful manner.

Baltimore is more disjointed but both individual lines are far better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City