Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:08 PM

43 posts, read 151,666 times

Advertisements

I've been considering a move to either area and just wanted some comments please. Little background info...

25 y/o male moving wit fiance
I work as a Physical Therapist and she is a Cosmetologist
Access to hospitals would be key because of my profession
We are both outdoor oriented people
Love watching college/pro basketball/football games
My second love in life is golf!!!

I like Tampa for the warmer climate, # of golf courses available, close proximity to Orlando, close proximity to pro/college sports teams. However, I'm a little worried about hurricane season and the amount of rainy days FL is known to have.

I like Texas for its fairly solid economy, amount of outdoor activities, # of great places to eat, it is fairly centrally located between dallas/houston/san antonio.

Just wondering if you guys could give me some feedback on either place? The good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 09:46 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,556,580 times
Austin Texas on all counts. Texas cities have a strong economy while Florida cities are collapsing under high unemployment and lack of a diverse economy.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:17 PM

134 posts, read 122,981 times
Florida might be your cup of tea with Tampa and its beautiful surrounding areas have a lot to offer for a physical therapist and cosmetologist. There are a lot of retirees who live in Clearwater\St. Pete area who are wealthy.

This area is a mecca for golf as you state that this is one of your loves as there are many sunshine days.

I don't know enough about Austin Texas to make any comments,but I wish you and your fiancee well to either destination.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:01 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,482 times
Some pros on Austin are the rolling hills and scenery, educated population, and economic stability.
Some pros of Tampa are the beautiful coast, beaches, water, outdoor recreation, pro sports, and slightly better weather.

I think they are both great, but I am partial to Tampa. I dislike a lot of things about Texas but Austin is a good city. I would say if beaches and golf are a priority, choose Tampa, otherwise choose Austin. Both cities are close to other major cities.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:08 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
[quote=determined0331;13324434]I've been considering a move to either area and just wanted some comments please. Little background info...

25 y/o male moving wit fiance
I work as a Physical Therapist and she is a Cosmetologist Either, although Tampa probably has the upper hand due to the more materialistic / keeping up with the Jones's folks in Tampa.
Access to hospitals would be key because of my profession Tampa traffic is horrible, just keep that in mind.
We are both outdoor oriented people Austin, easily.
Love watching college/pro basketball/football games Austin, no contest.
My second love in life is golf!!! Tampa, although the heat in FL is terrible in the summer months. You'd probably play more (at least comfortably) in Austin.

I like Tampa for the warmer climate, # of golf courses available, close proximity to Orlando, close proximity to pro/college sports teams. However, I'm a little worried about hurricane season and the amount of rainy days FL is known to have. Austin has more to offer in terms of sports, when you consider UT. Tampa has the Bucs, and the Rays.

I like Texas for its fairly solid economy, amount of outdoor activities, # of great places to eat, it is fairly centrally located between dallas/houston/san antonio. As far as economy, Austin all day. Outdoor I'd probably say Austin too, just because the heat in Tampa from May - early October is unbearable.

Just wondering if you guys could give me some feedback on either place? The good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:56 AM

43 posts, read 151,666 times
Thx for the replies. Any more opinions?

Old 03-20-2010, 12:43 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Never been to Austin before but consistently read positive things about it [some call it "Little California" - quirky & interesting]. I like looking at photos of Austin's green hills & lakes. It is vital that a city have large bodies of water to flee to during summer & I think life on the water is common in Austin

I love Tampa Bay & could easily live in St. Peterberg. It doesn't seem eccentric like Austin, but the lifestyle in the Tampa Bay Area is very relaxing and outdoors much of the year [summers are likely more humid than Austin though I could be wrong - anyone know if Austin is very humid during summer?

Old 03-20-2010, 02:59 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
It doesnt get any worse than Tampa area humidity in the summer.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:55 PM

8,608 posts, read 10,139,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Never been to Austin before but consistently read positive things about it [some call it "Little California" - quirky & interesting]. I like looking at photos of Austin's green hills & lakes. It is vital that a city have large bodies of water to flee to during summer & I think life on the water is common in Austin

I love Tampa Bay & could easily live in St. Peterberg. It doesn't seem eccentric like Austin, but the lifestyle in the Tampa Bay Area is very relaxing and outdoors much of the year [summers are likely more humid than Austin though I could be wrong - anyone know if Austin is very humid during summer?
Austin reminds me nothing of California. It was a pretty interesting place to be in the early 90's; unfortunately, many people believe it is now the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it really is a watered-down version of what it used to be despite the population growth and everyone buying how "great" it is now.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:05 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,070 times
Probably cause half of California is living here now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City