Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 04:33 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times

Advertisements

I decided to make this thread, because often I see people putting down another city because of either Flat terrain, Lack of water, Lack of trees...etc. I personally don't understand why people like to think that all cities should be similar (as far as landscape). Here are a few cities that I would like to use as examples....

Dallas, Tx
-I'm not sure why, but whenever I see someone say something negative about Dallas "Not having trees"...it makes me feel as that person is Naive. Its on the plains...of course it isn't going to have as many trees as other places. I actually like lack of trees in a city.

Oklahoma City,Ok
-I notice that when the scenery in OKC is mentioned, somebody always has to mention the lack of trees, or thow the landscape is "Brown". I don't find this to be true at all though. I think OKC is a beautiful City...

New York City,Ny
-NYC...i don't see this alot, but i see some people mention how NYC is flat. I always feel as if I have to correct those posters, because statements like that are simply wrong!

Denver,Co
-DEN is a place I grew up most of my life. When ever somebody mentions the Mountains, I realize that another poster has to jump in and mention how "The city itself is flat and brown" or how "there aren't any trees". I don't find this to be a bad thing thought.

Phoenix, Az
-The city is in the desert...the city has an excuse for not having many trees...or lakes. When someone says something like "Phoenix has a lack of trees" they somewhat come off as naive...because anyone with common sense would know the desert doesn't have many trees. I however, do think that the city does great with landscaping.

Feel free to add any cities...or even elaborateon the ones I already listed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 06:27 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,909 times
People think KC is flat and treeless and they are completely wrong.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
Exactly! I have't been there for a very long time, but All you have to do is go to google maps, and you can see that the terrain is very hilly, and filled with trees.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:39 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
That's pretty much the case with Dallas. Neither of these cities are flat and have many trees.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:12 PM

291 posts, read 688,995 times
We have lots of trees and pretty green space here in Seattle. However, the flip side of the coin is that it rains a lot here. So pick your poison.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:33 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
NYC has plenty of green areas in the outer boroughs. Queens, Staten Island, Brooklyn and Bronx all have areas with tree-lined streets and ample room for gardens and landscaping.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
We have lots of trees and pretty green space here in Seattle. However, the flip side of the coin is that it rains a lot here. So pick your poison.
The thing is...nobody ever criticizes Seattles location/landscape though.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:39 AM

353 posts, read 656,934 times
Actually I think most people think Phoenix is way more barren than it actually is. I think Tucson is actually the way people perceive Phoenix as. Phoenix has established areas that are way more green than Tucson. Many areas of Phoenix have grass lawns, trees, and other vegetation. The Arcadia area is a good example. Citrus, Eucalyptus, Olive trees not to mention oleanders cover the area. It also amazes me how some people are so surprised when they come to Phoenix and see that palm trees dominate the landscape. It's like they expected to see a forest of Saguaros instead. Also if you are looking out of a high rise in Phoenix you will see a canopy of green. The city may not be as green as most but it certainly isn't nearly as brown as people make it out to be.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:13 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Most people are in awe to find out Houston has palm trees & woods all over the place even though the terrain may be flat as a pancake. On that note so is Miami & Chicago. Even much of Los Angeles is flat as surprising as that may seen.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
Actually I think most people think Phoenix is way more barren than it actually is. I think Tucson is actually the way people perceive Phoenix as. Phoenix has established areas that are way more green than Tucson. Many areas of Phoenix have grass lawns, trees, and other vegetation. The Arcadia area is a good example. Citrus, Eucalyptus, Olive trees not to mention oleanders cover the area. It also amazes me how some people are so surprised when they come to Phoenix and see that palm trees dominate the landscape. It's like they expected to see a forest of Saguaros instead. Also if you are looking out of a high rise in Phoenix you will see a canopy of green. The city may not be as green as most but it certainly isn't nearly as brown as people make it out to be.
Exactly what you said. I don't know what people have over "Brownish" landscape anyways. You can survive with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City