Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 05:25 PM

13 posts, read 9,496 times

Advertisements

LA has had its image damaged by all the notoriety that gangs brought in the 80's through mid 90's. It is really safe in most parts of the city now.

On a side note... celebrity culture is portryaying LA in a light that some might consider negative. Most of us pay little attention to their antics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 12:08 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Houston's reputation has been greatly hurt by the media.
I constantly see travel articles or restaurant review articles from out-of-town where they can't even write about all of the great things they did without having to insert sprawl, heat, oil, refineries (or all of the above) at the forefront of the article. At the beginning of the article, every time! Sprawl I'll give them (though don't most major cities sprawl outside of their core?), heat is only a real issue less than half of the year (and I don't see articles on Austin whining about the heat even though the temps are hotter there!), oil is less than half of the local economy now (the city's largest employer is actually the Texas Medical Center), and the refineries are limited to the industrial east-side of town that most visitors or residents will never even SEE. It's like they can't get away from the stereotypes and bashing. It would be like a travel article on Chicago saying "once you get past the horrific winter and crazy high crime rate..." or for San Francisco "there's more than just homeless, earthquakes, and a super-sprawled Bay Area..." or for London "if you can get around the terrible gloomy weather and ridiculous prices..." ... you get the idea. It's ridiculous.
Oh, and Gore didn't help either. City leaders had to actually travel up to DC for damage control after his rantings and ravings a decade ago. Smog and Mirrors - Gore’s dishonest campaign against Texas

Old 05-14-2010, 12:58 PM

11 posts, read 18,499 times
damaged--Detroit, Philly, anywhere in New Jersey, L.A.(gangs/ flakes)

overmagnified/glorified--Chicago, Las Vegas, San Fran

Old 05-14-2010, 01:02 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Destroyed (Damaged)
Detroit
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Milwaukee
Buffalo
New Orleans
Philadelphia
St. Louis
Kansas City

Overmagnified (Glorified)
LA
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Atlanta
Dallas
Houston
Denver
Charlotte
Orlando
Tampa
Spot on.

I'll add Portland, S.F., and Seattle to the overglorified. People speak of them as if they don't have problems.

Also, Chicago is slowly being tarnished with the sudden focus on violence (which happens EVERY year around this time)

Old 05-14-2010, 01:16 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Spot on.

I'll add Portland, S.F., and Seattle to the overglorified. People speak of them as if they don't have problems.

Also, Chicago is slowly being tarnished with the sudden focus on violence (which happens EVERY year around this time)
That's just one aspect, I think Chicago's doing a good job staying balanced too. It's got some positive things going for it as well in the media.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:52 PM

113 posts, read 249,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I'm glad Houston is ignored. The way the media is, trust me it's something the people of Houston would rather not have, whether it be a good thing or bad thing being said about Houston in the media.

But sometikes Houstonians would want like a movie to be made in the city or something. We just dont want to be blocked out and seem as if we arent important to the U.S. Sometimes, people just dont see what we have to offer, but anyway. I think houston should get a little media. Just to make us seem important.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:39 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Damaged.....Philadelphia.

Glorified.....San Francisco.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:41 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Damaged.....Philadelphia.

Glorified.....San Francisco.
It's reputation is certainly damaged but the City of Brotherly Love still get's a whole lot of love.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:22 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,468 times
This is an interesting topic. Sense I grew up in the 90s an I still remember being a kid, I'm gonna tell you what I thought the rest of the world was like when I was 8 and had never really left my hometown, cause of what I saw on TV.

NYC - Greatest city in the world, city that never sleeps. Makes everywhere else look lame.

New Jersey - Wannabe lame version of NYC, with a terrible smell and mean gangsters.

LA - Home of the biggest stars and hardest gangsters

Miami - Filled with millionaires and gorgeous women in the nude on beaches, paradise.

Hawaii (Read Miami)

Detroit - Americas largest ghetto

Atlanta - Rednecks, blacks, gangsters, and the braves.

Dallas - The only civilized place in Texas.

Houston (Texas in general) Cows, and pastures, and gangsters in cowboy boots shooting people over gambling debts.

Vermont, Mass, New Hampshire (ETC.) Super rich white people with servants.

Maine - Where lobsters come from.

Boston - City of sprawling Irish ghettos and funny accents.

Cleveland - City of abandoned buildings, drug addicts and gangsters.

San Fransisco - Where g@y people live.

Seattle - Super high tech yuppie city.

Oakland - Pimps & hos.

New Orleans - Wild town with strippers and naked ladies everywhere with almost no real law.

Orlando - Disney world, kids paradise.

Philadelphia - City of jerks and gay people.

Phoenix - Desert.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:02 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
This is an interesting topic. Sense I grew up in the 90s an I still remember being a kid, I'm gonna tell you what I thought the rest of the world was like when I was 8 and had never really left my hometown, cause of what I saw on TV.

NYC - Greatest city in the world, city that never sleeps. Makes everywhere else look lame.

New Jersey - Wannabe lame version of NYC, with a terrible smell and mean gangsters.

LA - Home of the biggest stars and hardest gangsters

Miami - Filled with millionaires and gorgeous women in the nude on beaches, paradise.

Hawaii (Read Miami)

Detroit - Americas largest ghetto

Atlanta - Rednecks, blacks, gangsters, and the braves.

Dallas - The only civilized place in Texas.

Houston (Texas in general) Cows, and pastures, and gangsters in cowboy boots shooting people over gambling debts.

Vermont, Mass, New Hampshire (ETC.) Super rich white people with servants.

Maine - Where lobsters come from.

Boston - City of sprawling Irish ghettos and funny accents.

Cleveland - City of abandoned buildings, drug addicts and gangsters.

San Fransisco - Where g@y people live.

Seattle - Super high tech yuppie city.

Oakland - Pimps & hos.

New Orleans - Wild town with strippers and naked ladies everywhere with almost no real law.

Orlando - Disney world, kids paradise.

Philadelphia - City of jerks and gay people.

Phoenix - Desert.

Completely asinine post! ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City