Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 01:45 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times

Advertisements

So, I bought a brand new 2009 Maxima while living in KC. It was always parked in garages, always kept it clean, parallel parking wasn't so risky, felt pretty average in the KC area as most people drive pretty nice cars.

Then I move to the Mid Atlanta and I feel so out of place. I have to park the car in extremely tight spaces all the time and the tiny bangs and scratches are starting to pile up. Metrorail park and rides are door ding factories, people seem to have to touch my bumpers when parallel parking and I always come back to a filthy car anyway after buses throw crap at it all day and I hope I keep my mirrors stay in tact. While driving, I notice that most people drive "commuter" cars. Just basic (and boring) cars to get them from point A to point B. When driving through more sketchy parts of town, I seem to get more looks than I ever did in KC. It's a Nissan, not a Ferrari. I rarely wash it anymore and I know the wear and tear from normal traffic is about ten times as bad as back home.

I'm honestly thinking of trading it down to something that doesn't stand out as much or cost as much, even though I find the car fun to drive and always thought the car was pretty "average" before moving to the east coast. I'm not a car snob by any means. I take transit, walk and bike as often as I can to places, but it's still nice to have a nice car for commuting and traveling in, yet I almost feel "ashamed" to have such a car in this area.

Does anybody else feel like this? I think there is a difference between the cities out west and the cities out east when it comes to the cars people drive.

If I was already living anywhere near Philly, DC, Baltimore, NYC, Boston etc, I don't think I would have bought this car. Had I lived in Denver, Seattle, LA, San Francisco, Phoenix etc, I don't think I would have thought twice about it even though my commuting patterns and transit usage would probably be about the same regardless.

So what cities are worst to own a nice car? Which ones are best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 01:49 PM

475 posts, read 684,580 times
DC. Just like Brooklyn, it seems every car has front and/or rear bumper damage.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:14 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,600 times
My school is the worst place to have a nice car. -_- lol

But seriously, NYC has to be one of the worst. Maybe it's just been my bad experience, but over time my car took quite a beating there and with no one responsible... cause I guess all those scratches and bumps just appeared there right?

Oh and bonus points to Hartford, small city I know, but has been a terrible place for my car all the same.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:43 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
I'll vote for Chicago, since you have the same parking issues that you'll find in NYC or DC plus the weather extremes are worse, and road salt destroys your car.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:47 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I'll vote for Chicago, since you have the same parking issues that you'll find in NYC or DC plus the weather extremes are worse, and road salt destroys your car.
Ooh yeah, that too. Same here.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:21 PM

403 posts, read 1,394,019 times
NYC and Boston. Hands down.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:33 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times
All the cities up north with lots of snow. The cars all look like sh*t in winter no matter how nice it actually is. Besides, potholes are everywhere in most northern cities so driving on them would hurt your nice car too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
So, I bought a brand new 2009 Maxima while living in KC. It was always parked in garages, always kept it clean, parallel parking wasn't so risky, felt pretty average in the KC area as most people drive pretty nice cars.

Then I move to the Mid Atlanta and I feel so out of place. I have to park the car in extremely tight spaces all the time and the tiny bangs and scratches are starting to pile up. Metrorail park and rides are door ding factories, people seem to have to touch my bumpers when parallel parking and I always come back to a filthy car anyway after buses throw crap at it all day and I hope I keep my mirrors stay in tact. While driving, I notice that most people drive "commuter" cars. Just basic (and boring) cars to get them from point A to point B. When driving through more sketchy parts of town, I seem to get more looks than I ever did in KC. It's a Nissan, not a Ferrari. I rarely wash it anymore and I know the wear and tear from normal traffic is about ten times as bad as back home.

I'm honestly thinking of trading it down to something that doesn't stand out as much or cost as much, even though I find the car fun to drive and always thought the car was pretty "average" before moving to the east coast. I'm not a car snob by any means. I take transit, walk and bike as often as I can to places, but it's still nice to have a nice car for commuting and traveling in, yet I almost feel "ashamed" to have such a car in this area.

Does anybody else feel like this? I think there is a difference between the cities out west and the cities out east when it comes to the cars people drive.

If I was already living anywhere near Philly, DC, Baltimore, NYC, Boston etc, I don't think I would have bought this car. Had I lived in Denver, Seattle, LA, San Francisco, Phoenix etc, I don't think I would have thought twice about it even though my commuting patterns and transit usage would probably be about the same regardless.

So what cities are worst to own a nice car? Which ones are best?

Old 05-06-2010, 05:43 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,337,014 times
New York City without a doubt.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:45 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Chicago area is rough, with winter weather, heavy traffic and changeable weather. But plenty of folks here own fancy cars, only driving them during the summer. For modern cars road salt is no longer an issue, but for classic rods it is murder. I guess if you're looking to destroy a nice car a lot of the east coast cities, from Boston to Miami, are a good bet.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
DC. Just like Brooklyn, it seems every car has front and/or rear bumper damage.
I completely agree. DC is one of the worst cities to drive in. DC consistently ranks as having the worst drivers in the nation. Some roads in DC are murderous. I've gotten into two separate accidents on New York Ave in Northeast DC. DC also has a bad drunk driving problem that gets swept under the rug. Many people die at the hands of drunk hit-and-run drivers in DC. There was a huge anti-drunk driving campaign in the District a few years ago with pictures of totaled cars on every bus stop and sobriety checkpoints throughout the city to try to curb drunk driving. To this day, there are specific areas labeled as DUI enforcement areas on the Capitol beltway.

DC Drivers Rated the Worst in the Country (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/traffic/dc-drivers-rated-the-worst-in-the-country-052611 - broken link)

If you have a really nice car in DC like a Lamborghini, like anywhere else, you might get carjacked. It happened to Harlem rapper Cam'Ron at Howard Univeristy Homecoming in 2005 who was shot in his Lamborghini in DC:

Rapper Shot in Alleged Carjacking in D.C.

California cities lead the nation in car theft. Eight out of the top ten highest car theft cities are located in California, mostly in the cities in the Northern part of the state:

The 20 Worst Cities for Stolen Cars - Yahoo! Autos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City