Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:09 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Down to earth-
a. Not pretentious or affected; straightforward.
b. Not overly ornate; simple in style.

If you really think this describes Nyers then I must have only thought I lived there for 25 years and was actually living somewhere else.
Yes down to earth. You must have been living in ct or something because for you to live here for 25 years and not see that is ridiculous. You should know how to weed out the trustfunds from ohio and the natives. And even than alot of the trustfunds are nice if anything they softened the city up a bit

Old 05-17-2010, 01:19 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Yes down to earth. You must have been living in ct or something because for you to live here for 25 years and not see that is ridiculous. You should know how to weed out the trustfunds from ohio and the natives. And even than alot of the trustfunds are nice if anything they softened the city up a bit
No, I lived in NYC for 25 years not CT or NJ.

So in your eyes people in NYC are not pretentious?
Just some of the posts in this thread would disprove that.

They don't worry about dressing up all the time?
This would fly in the face of numerous posts that you have had previously in all the "best dressed city" threads.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:27 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:

This would fly in the face of numerous posts that you have had previously in all the "best dressed city" threads.
Yeah, that's a good one.
Can't wait for his next thread..."New Yorkers are the most humble people on the planet earth"

Old 05-17-2010, 01:35 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
i watched that last night too. Am saying though. If it was england they would talk about the rise of london;japan would be tokyo. New york has been caput mundi ever since it overtook london as the premier city in the twenties. New york's rise is more in concert with americas than any other city. It makes the most sense to talk about it.

And if i remember correctly La was heavily mentioned last night aswell
Then why'd you ask what everyone's opinion is? Yes I know you love New York, that's fine.

All I'm saying is, New York is given some super natural status, when in fact many other cities have pretty much the same history of innovation, immigration, urban development and entrepenurial senses.

New York is just big. Even like you say, prior to the 20th century, New York was large, but so was Chicago, Philly and Boston.

And I don't know if New York really ranks above London. They are the same financially, and population wise. But London is also a national capital.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:

I expect more from you as a resident of 25 years. Primarily because-

Anyone who has lived in nyc for that long should already know that city-data is not a good representation of a city of 8.3 million.

New yorkers like to dress up. Its just what we do. Im sorry.....But remember thers plenty of us that dont

Old 05-17-2010, 01:39 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,736,355 times
ppl underestimate ny. actually, i think its more than that. ppl just don't understand nyc because they lack knowledge when it comes to nyc...so this is why some ppl are saying the things that they are saying in this thread.

nyc is more than just a bunch of buildings. much, much more than that.

and yes we are very down to earth, very nice and helpful and yes, nyc ranks above london.

and yes we are the best dressed in the country.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:42 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
I would expect the residents of a city that's the fashion capital of the world to dress up. LOL.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:44 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I would expect the residents of a city that's the fashion capital of the world to dress up. LOL.
OMGosh they are such fashion plates!

And transplants such as myself have to make constant trips to Barney's just to keep up with these Manhattanites. Oy vey.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Then why'd you ask what everyone's opinion is? Yes I know you love New York, that's fine.

All I'm saying is, New York is given some super natural status, when in fact many other cities have pretty much the same history of innovation, immigration, urban development and entrepenurial senses.

New York is just big. Even like you say, prior to the 20th century, New York was large, but so was Chicago, Philly and Boston.

And I don't know if New York really ranks above London. They are the same financially, and population wise. But London is also a national capital.
Urban development-?
Which cities boomed like new york in the early century. Nyc basically created the template for the new modern vertical city that see all over the world today. Chicago might have had a major hand in the birth of the skyscraper. But the chrysler set it off

Immigration-
Considering new york is the most diverse now,and than with Ellis island and all that back than?

As far as london- New york has outranked london on recent global indexs that i have seen. On overall power and financial power.

As far as a city, new york has the street vibrance and architecture of a london or paris mixed with the skyscrapers of a city like hong kong mixed with the bells and whistles of tokyo. I never really understood the london comparison

Old 05-17-2010, 01:47 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
OMGosh they are such fashion plates!

And transplants such as myself have to make constant trips to Barney's just to keep up with these Manhattanites. Oy vey.
Get some H&H East for me! I'm a former Upper East Sider as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City