Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:16 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,209,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Me too. I always find an excuse to drive by it, and I'm always checking the website for updates and too see the live video feed.
Me too. I have AmwayCenter.Com on my list of top sites on Safari. I thought I was the only one to find a reason to drive by it, when clearly I am heading the opposite direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 01:16 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
For me Conroy is the line of demarcation for Orlando-Orlando and tourist-Orlando. Don't get me wrong tourists go to Mall at Millenia in droves but it certainly is in more of a local part of the 'hood'

I feel this makes a much better backdrop for the new arena:
I think this is a better backdrop

http://westorlandonews.com/wp-conten...ter-aerial.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 07-12-2012 at 07:17 PM..

Old 06-12-2010, 01:20 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,209,678 times
Or this http://www.cfnews13.com/uploadedImag...ge(Final)2.jpg

Old 06-12-2010, 01:37 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Well done Amway Center Nerds (I say that term inclusively), but I took my photo myself, well actually my GF did

Old 06-12-2010, 01:50 PM

128 posts, read 273,299 times
In Houston it's probably either the Williams Tower, Heritage Plaza, 700 Louisiana, or actually the Astrodome since it was the first ever sports dome. There are some other notable ones downtown, including a very old Italian renaissance high rise and the JP Morgan Chase Building, but everyone on here seems to think everything in Houston is new and glass and ignores stuff like that. This is not to be confused with the JP Morgan Chase Tower, which is the tallest building in Houston and the tallest 5-sided building in the world.

In Austin, there are definitely the notable 3 that you see outlined on anything that is supposed to sum up the skyline: Frost Tower, the capitol, and the UT Bell Tower. I wonder if The Austonian will join those ranks, but right now it's still pretty new.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:29 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openedskittles View Post
In Houston it's probably either the Williams Tower, Heritage Plaza, 700 Louisiana, or actually the Astrodome since it was the first ever sports dome. There are some other notable ones downtown, including a very old Italian renaissance high rise and the JP Morgan Chase Building, but everyone on here seems to think everything in Houston is new and glass and ignores stuff like that. This is not to be confused with the JP Morgan Chase Tower, which is the tallest building in Houston and the tallest 5-sided building in the world.
Really, cause I think a certain demographic would say the former Rocket's arena, now Lakewood Church, holds that title. Gotta love Joel Osteen!

Old 06-12-2010, 02:50 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,124 times
http://webs.rps205.com/curriculum/ssandvoc/images/544541FA7ADD4AA8AD491F7EABC9141B.jpg (broken link)
http://www.visitingdc.com/images/cap...ng-address.jpg
http://www.wonkette.com/politics/Was...Monument-2.jpg
http://z.about.com/d/dc/1/0/X/U/washmonatnight2.jpg
http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~tschoy/phot...n_Memorial.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 07-12-2012 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: When posting images that aren't yours, please just post links to those images.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:57 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Really, cause I think a certain demographic would say the former Rocket's arena, now Lakewood Church, holds that title. Gotta love Joel Osteen!
I always thought the Bank of America Center was the most known building in Houston.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3253/...4e826efdf2.jpg

**LITTLE KNOWN TID-BIT ABOUT HOUSTON**

The Bank of America Center in Dallas (the green neon building) was actually inspired by the Wedge Building in Houston which used to be outlined in neon green making it look exactly like the BoA center in Dallas at night. The Wedge Building in Houston is no longer outlined in green because (among other things) Enron built its complex nearby (two sky scrappers) both consisting of all reflective glass facades. Due to the all glass facades, at night, the green glow from the Wedge Building would reflect off the glass and make that entire side of downtown/midtown have a green glow about it. Eventually, the Wedge Building had to do away with the neon lights b/c of complaints received by citizens who lived around there and by people from nearby I-45 who would find it hard to drive at night due to the green glow emanating from that side of downtown Houston. Thus, Dallas's BOA center stands as the only green outlined building in Texas and (I think the world), however, the BOA center in Dallas was inspired by two buildings in Houston. The overall design was inspired by Houston's William's tower and the green was inspired by, what is now, the Wedge Building...

Last edited by JMT; 07-12-2012 at 07:19 PM..

Old 07-12-2012, 01:57 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,313 times
NYC: Empire State Building and Chrysler Building

Old 07-12-2012, 02:56 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
In Philadelphia?

Definitely Independence Hall
File:Independence Hall.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City Hall
City Hall Broad St and Market St Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107 Photograph by Duncan Pearson - City Hall Broad St and Market St Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107 Fine Art Prints and Posters for Sale

and the Philadelphia Museum of Art
2009 September | The Day Trip Site - Philadelphia Day Trip ideas

However, some other popular ones are the PSFS Building
Aramark PSFS Buildings 1101 Market St Philadelphia PA 19107 2926 Photograph by Duncan Pearson - Aramark PSFS Buildings 1101 Market St Philadelphia PA 19107 2926 Fine Art Prints and Posters for Sale

One and Two Liberty Place
Philadelphia One Liberty Place | The Shops at Liberty Place | Two Liberty Place - JPG Photos

Comcast Center
Photo of the Day: The Comcast Center Now Officially The Center Of The NBC Universe | Uwishunu - Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More

BNY Mellon Center
<<<<<<< the BNY Mellon Center and

30th Street Station
30th Street Station at Sunset | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and Cira Center
Cira Centre - Philadelphia | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by JMT; 07-12-2012 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: When posting images that aren't yours, please just post links to those images.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City