Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 03:47 AM

245 posts, read 709,302 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting thread and I can't believe I just found it

Of course there are things other cities have that NY doesn't and vice versa. Since I live in LA, I can only speak for LA knowing that other cities are unique in their own ways.

I think LA has just about everything NY has, maybe to a less degree, but nevertheless we have it. Same way that NY may have everything LA has, but to a less degree, like surfing for example. What I will mention are 3 things that in my mind are not trivial things that LA has and NY lacks.
1) We are much more diverse geographically and climatically. What we get out of this is we are not stuck with one weather. Driving 10 miles away may mean a 25-30 degree temperature difference and this is all in the urban area of LA. In a way, it gives us more flexibility on what we can do on our leisure days. Our geography gives us the flexibility on where we want to live. One can choose to live on a hillside, a high rise, a flatland, on the ocean, etc. In sum, LA is a very beautiful city because on a clear winter day (ok, we don't get that often I know) you'll see a sprawling city surrounded by snowcapped peaks topping over 10,000 ft and on the other side the beautiful Pacific Ocean.
2) Our daily activities are not dictated by the weather. A large part of LA has a Mediterranean climate so we don't usually worry about rough weather to significantly impair our activities. Precipitation only comes as liquid form and most of the year it's dry with highs from 60-80 with about 50% humidity. I know people prefer more weather (snow, wind...), but I think a lot of people agree they would rather enjoy other aspects of life than have it being limited by the weather.
3) Lots of major amusement parks that we can go to during our days off. This opens up more option on what we can do on our free days in a nice Mediterranean climate.

Going back to what I wrote about LA having most, if not everything, NY has (urban areas, shopping, restaurants, culture, nature, etc.) and combine that with reasons #1 and 2, I think it's heaven.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:55 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,062,806 times
You can't eat a Nu-Way weiners hot dog in NYC like you can here in Macon, GA lol.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:04 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,081,021 times
Detroit and Chicago have good pizza, NYC does not unless it's a Chicago style joint.

Detroit and Chicago have far better coneys, despite the namesake.

Detroit and Chicago have fresh water and are safe from tropical activity, New York could face a very grim storm some day.

Detroit and Chicago have souls.

Hmmmm, those are just my "homes" vs NYC. I'm sure there's plenty other places have too.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:21 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
I totaly forgot about Brauns. We stoped at a Brauns not to far from Mesquite TX. Man that place had some good food

Old 08-02-2010, 05:43 AM

44 posts, read 108,690 times
NYC has 2 million rats(the most rat infested city in America) and where ever there's rats there's roaches and pidgeons(which is a rat with wings) notice how there isn't any pidgeons in clean cities. NYC also has the largest number of projects(ghetto government free section 8 housing for poor people). BTW theres big rats even in the subway......i saw a BIG one the size of a cat! It's dirty, grimey and expensive and the apartment are the size of walk in closets for other US cities.If you get passed all that and have the money to live in Nyc its ok....

Old 08-02-2010, 05:46 AM

473 posts, read 711,329 times
i hate to tell you, but rats the size of cats.... river rats.... are anywhere there is water, dont matter where you are, city, country, clean or dirty.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:58 AM

44 posts, read 108,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
i hate to tell you, but rats the size of cats.... river rats.... are anywhere there is water, dont matter where you are, city, country, clean or dirty.
There HUGE! i don't have the best eye sight, so at 1st I actually thought it was a black cat! but i was wrong ,it was a big RAT!

Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 AM

11,327 posts, read 20,240,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Detroit and Chicago have good pizza, NYC does not unless it's a Chicago style joint.

Detroit and Chicago have far better coneys, despite the namesake.

Detroit and Chicago have fresh water and are safe from tropical activity, New York could face a very grim storm some day.

Detroit and Chicago have souls.

Hmmmm, those are just my "homes" vs NYC. I'm sure there's plenty other places have too.
3/4 of those are an opinion so w/e.

People do indeed surf in NYC, there's Checkers/Ralley's (I love that place), most of our precipitation is liquid too, not everyone's apartment is the size of a closet fyi, just about every city I've been too had pigeons.
Can't forget that the whole city is very dirty and grimy, lived there for 16 years but I'll take someone else's word for it.

I'm very surprised at some of these comments but this is C-D so it's to be expected.

Last edited by Infamous92; 08-02-2010 at 06:48 AM..

Old 08-02-2010, 07:30 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,445,585 times
Other regional chains that don't seem to be in NYC.

Fatburger (Although there is one in Rockaway and Atlantic City, New Jersey)

Fatburger : Locations By State

Grandy's

Grandy's

Jack in the Box

Jack in the Box (http://www.jackinthebox.com/index2.php - broken link)

Taco Tico (Although they're around here I kind-of knew they were regional and I don't know that they're any good)

Mexican Restaurants :: Taco Tico

I think I listed that NYC has no African-Methodist Episcopal, Mennonite, or Seventh-Day Adventist colleges. For the heck of it I'll go back and see if there are any other denominational colleges they lack.

No Assemblies of God Colleges or Universities so far as I can tell. Phoenix and Minneapolis each have one though. (Valley Forge, Pennsylvania looks as close as AoG colleges get)

AG Colleges & Universities

Colleges currently or even formerly affiliated to the Disciples of Christ do not seem to be in New York state at all. They are not in many large cities, but there is one in Lexington, Kentucky and another in Fort Worth, Texas.

HELMDisciples.org > Colleges and Universities

United Church of Christ, a liberal Protestant group, affiliated colleges can be found in Chicago and Billings. Not NYC though.

UCC Related Schools (http://www.ucc.org/higher-education/school/ - broken link)
United Church Of Christ Colleges
United Church Of Christ Religious Schools

Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,591,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
You can't eat a Nu-Way weiners hot dog in NYC like you can here in Macon, GA lol.

Cannot compare to a hot dog at the original Nathans.

And I'm laughing at the people comparing their pizzerias to NY's. Even where I live in south Florida (where NYers have opened up pizzerias), it isn't nearly the same. They hardly put any cheese or sauce on it. It's like eating a cracker. My husband and I have spoken to the owners, and they tell us that it's the NY water that makes the pizza. Multiple owners have told us this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City