Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Classified Ads
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 05:09 PM

21 posts, read 63,606 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be easy renting out our totally private 3/2 pool home, even with us living on the property, in a very secluded semi-detached area and that renters would see it as a beneficial arrangement because it would offer a lot of flexibility for those with busy schedules, while needing help with the care of pets, before and/or after school child care or even an elderly parent, in need of watching or light care during the work week but I guess my idea hasn't been embraced the way I had anticipated. Our ideal situation would be, to rent to those, like us, who have and love animals but would still like to travel or go off and not worry about them by trading off such services or, since my husband and I, have both had background checks due to fostering our niece and when I was employed by the YMCA in their afterschool latchkey program, as well as us, raising an amazing daughter, that there would be plenty of families out there looking for a rental and really be excited to think that they'd not have to be at the mercy of day care. What do you think? Do you see this type of arrangement as having more positives or more negatives?

Last edited by 2goldens; 06-28-2009 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Moved from Tampa, FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 07:36 PM

14 posts, read 82,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlp263 View Post
I thought it would be easy renting out our totally private 3/2 pool home, even with us living on the property, in a very secluded semi-detached area and that renters would see it as a beneficial arrangement because it would offer a lot of flexibility for those with busy schedules, while needing help with the care of pets, before and/or after school child care or even an elderly parent, in need of watching or light care during the work week but I guess my idea hasn't been embraced the way I had anticipated. Our ideal situation would be, to rent to those, like us, who have and love animals but would still like to travel or go off and not worry about them by trading off such services or, since my husband and I, have both had background checks due to fostering our niece and when I was employed by the YMCA in their afterschool latchkey program, as well as us, raising an amazing daughter, that there would be plenty of families out there looking for a rental and really be excited to think that they'd not have to be at the mercy of day care. What do you think? Do you see this type of arrangement as having more positives or more negatives?

For me, that would be a plus. I plan to move to the area at the beginning of next year. I have a 13 year old daughter and we don't know anyone there. I am a nurse and sometimes have to work long hours and I am concerned to have her being alone. She can take care of herself, but if she would need something, it is nice that I have people close by. When I come there, I am very worried.

So I think that is a good arrangement, but I guess not for everyone. A lot of people like their privacy and don't want the landlord right there and in their personal business, I would think.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:29 AM

I am so glad to know there are people out there, that are younger and feel it would be benefitial because we are in our 50's and I was beginning to think that maybe I was looking at it from an older perspective and wouldn't be able to target all generations.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coming to Tampa soon View Post
For me, that would be a plus. I plan to move to the area at the beginning of next year. I have a 13 year old daughter and we don't know anyone there. I am a nurse and sometimes have to work long hours and I am concerned to have her being alone. She can take care of herself, but if she would need something, it is nice that I have people close by. When I come there, I am very worried.

So I think that is a good arrangement, but I guess not for everyone. A lot of people like their privacy and don't want the landlord right there and in their personal business, I would think.
Too bad you won't be here before October of this year because we have to have it rented out by then, the schools are great and we are only a few minutes from a new hospital in this area.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:57 AM

807 posts, read 3,188,050 times
It seems to me that it would be too easy for one party to take an upper hand in the relationship and cause some unsettled feelings. Once that begins, there is deterioration and a need for separation. It would be very difficult to maintain a respectful relationship if trust becomes an issue.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 7,320 times
I will be moving to the area in late august. We do have two pets and find it rather difficult to always find someone trustyworthy (minus the vet) to watch them. Can you give me a general idea of where your home is located? I will be working in the clearwater area.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandywill07 View Post
I will be moving to the area in late august. We do have two pets and find it rather difficult to always find someone trustyworthy (minus the vet) to watch them. Can you give me a general idea of where your home is located? I will be working in the clearwater area.
If you google the Veteran's Exprswy and Hutchison, you will get a general idea of where the home is located. We are about three miles from that and with the expressway, it's an easy shot to the causeway, which takes you over to Clearwater. We have a Pit mix and three cats and my best friend has her own pet care service and works for a vet in Oldsmar and we are very like minded in our care and love of all animals. Our ideal situation would be to have renters, that we feel would take as good care of ours as we would of there's, whenever the need arises and would have no problem with trading off with pet care, since our daughter lives in L.A. and we try to get out a couple times a year to visit with her.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
It seems to me that it would be too easy for one party to take an upper hand in the relationship and cause some unsettled feelings. Once that begins, there is deterioration and a need for separation. It would be very difficult to maintain a respectful relationship if trust becomes an issue.
I agree but I know it would not be from our side. We have renters at our other home, of which we have become friends and although they have invited us over any time to enjoy the river, of which I miss dearly, we do not go because it's very important that we respect their privacy and I think we are like that because we put such emphasis on our own need for privacy, so unless our renters, at either house, arrange a service, need a maintanence issue addressed, need to make a payment or we run into each other, as we come and go, they will never see or hear from us.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:08 AM

Please help me, I need more feedback to determine if I should keep offering our house as described above or reaccess the situation and rent our house out as a 3/2 with mother in-law or adult child quarters and if so, what do you think we could get in monthly rental. The main house is around 1900 sq. ft. and the suite is a little over 400 sq. ft. We could also just rent out the studio but that wouldn't get us to where we need to be financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Classified Ads