Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 07:41 PM

5 posts, read 10,584 times

Advertisements

Undecided, I am transferring with my job , my husband will need to find a job. We are moving back because of the family but we have some doubts about going back there right now.

We have been out of Cleveland for four years, only going there on vacation for three to five days every year. We are not from Cleveland, we are inmigrants who used to live in Cleveland until 2004. We liked back then but we were tired of winter.

We know we can save more money there, Florida is expensive, but we like it here.

Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 10:02 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,382,047 times
Hot summer, cool time at Lake Erie's beaches (video) | cleveland.com

Old 08-10-2011, 08:27 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,343,545 times
As a non native Clevelandlander who lived in FL for many years before Cleveland, I guess I can relate, but I hated the Florida heat and was ready for a change. As I write this, I prefered living in Cleveland over FL. If possible budget to travel in winter. This is pretty bad but we got to the point where we got out at least 3 weeks a year on 2-3 trips between Dec-March. I burnt through all my vacation just getting some sunshine in Caribbean, Hawaii, back to FL, or Southern Europe (even N Africa a couple times!) I really liked Cleveland but in the end we obviously were not tough enough and needed a change of scenery again as demonstrated by my current location! Nevertheless Cleveland is a great place to live affordably and have money for recreation/savings/travel.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:02 AM

338 posts, read 560,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
As a non native Clevelandlander who lived in FL for many years before Cleveland, I guess I can relate, but I hated the Florida heat and was ready for a change. As I write this, I prefered living in Cleveland over FL. If possible budget to travel in winter. This is pretty bad but we got to the point where we got out at least 3 weeks a year on 2-3 trips between Dec-March. I burnt through all my vacation just getting some sunshine in Caribbean, Hawaii, back to FL, or Southern Europe (even N Africa a couple times!) I really liked Cleveland but in the end we obviously were not tough enough and needed a change of scenery again as demonstrated by my current location! Nevertheless Cleveland is a great place to live affordably and have money for recreation/savings/travel.
Which are the best areas to visit in FL, in your opinion, during Dec-March?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
Which are the best areas to visit in FL, in your opinion, during Dec-March?
the good news is much of Fl is really pleasant in the above times....although the weather has been really screwy the past few years. When I lived there 1989-2002 you could count on March to be flawless. Yet it can actually get cold, and least central and north FL.
If you want a Caribbean vibe -the Fl Keys! City vibe, crazy electric energy, beach-Miami Beach. I am one of the few people that really seem to like chaotic Miami Beach. It is NOT relaxing though. The west coast is the area mid westerners really seem to like-Sanibel island is wonderful. I lived in Ft Myers for part of my FL years and it was my favorite spot near there. Sarasota-also nice but pricey as is Sanibel. East coast folks (which I originally am from) tend to prefer the east coast of FL. Southerners, the panhandle. The water tend to be warmer and calmer in the gulf (Pinellas county southward)

You may want to consider a few days in FL and then jumping on an inexpensive cruise out of Tampa, Miami or Ft. Lauderdale (of those Miami always has the most expensive flights from Cle) to assure the best weather-although like I said weather is changing. I went on Mexican cruise out of Tampa Feb (2010) and it was miserably cold and rainy, we seriously were wishing we were back in Cleveland b/c we could experience that for free. It was a fluke but Caribbean might be an even safer bet. I love this search engine vacationstogo.com, I have used them before, but these days it is just as cheap to book online through the cruise lines, and if you notice a price drop and contact the cruise line they will credit you.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:02 AM

283 posts, read 370,632 times
Hasn't anyone mentioned hurricanes? And might we not agree that a temperature over, say, 95 degrees constitutes bad weather? It's not like you can go out and do things. You're inside in the air-conditioning watching things swelter outside in the heat and humidity. Oh, you can go sit on the beach? Big whoop.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:15 PM

well until you get displaced my them no one thinks its a big deal. I lived in coastal FL for a years and for several years the only time I had to evacuate was for Andrew-which did not end up hitting the west coast. Then, a couple years before I moved to Cleveland, they became a real PITA as the frequency of storms really picked up. My spouse worked in the schools in Admin and the ones he always worked at were storm shelters and he was often in charge of running it. I would volunteer with him, and frankly it got old...and a little scary. One of the schools he worked at was a special needs shelter and the nursing home staff just dropped residents off, and did not stay to care for them-big no no. I cannot believe some of these poor folks survived. On the other end were evacuees with no special needs that thought we were waiters and waitresses "this coffee is cold", "I want an extra cookie", " this blanket is scratchy" and so on.

Needless to say I was done with that, and had no problem with Cleveland winters for at least a couple years! I am not going to begrudge my FL experience because a lot of great things happened to me there, but I would never live there again.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 809 times
i miss cleveland so much ive been in florida for 32 yrs and still cannot get use to the triple digit heat we are making plans to move back to cleveland soon . although we havent had any real hurricane threats recently its still nerv racking when the season starts. i love the ohio wheather cold or hot im ready to come home

Old 08-17-2011, 06:48 PM

47 posts, read 156,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLclevelander View Post
i miss cleveland so much ive been in florida for 32 yrs and still cannot get use to the triple digit heat we are making plans to move back to cleveland soon . although we havent had any real hurricane threats recently its still nerv racking when the season starts. i love the ohio wheather cold or hot im ready to come home
We're right there with you. Been in Texas for 15 years and am SO ready to get back to Ohio. All of our family is there and we're heading back as soon as our house sells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland