Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:34 PM

458 posts, read 1,225,061 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth (not anything, I know) Forbes came out with their updated "America's 20 Most Miserable Cities."

Cleveland came out better than last year, but not by much. There still doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to why they picked one city over another. We ranked 10th, but beat out other major cities such as Miami, Sacramento, Chicago, and West Palm Beach. Have no idea why we are more miserable than Flint or Detroit, though.

On a side note, a lot of representation for California and Flordia, and of course, Ohio.

1. Stockton, CA
2. Miami, FL
3. Merced, CA
4. Modesto, CA
5. Sacramento, CA
6. Memphis, TN
7. Chicago, IL
8. West Palm Beach, FL
9. Vallejo, CA
10. Cleveland, OH
11. Flint, MI
12. Toledo, OH
13. Fort Lauderdale, FL
14. Youngstown, OH
15. Detroit, MI
16. Washington, DC
17. Fresno, CA
18. Salinas, CA
19. Jacksonville, FL
20. Bakersfield, CA.

America's Most Miserable Cities - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 02:21 PM

58 posts, read 127,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flee to the Cleve View Post
There still doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to why they picked one city over another.
Here's their explanation of that:

America's Most Miserable Cities: Our Methodology - Forbes.com

Given that their criteria include foreclosure rates, weather, public corruption and performance of pro sports teams, it's not surprising Cleveland made the list.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:02 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,297,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipp View Post
foreclosure rates
Well for foreclosure rates, Cleveland was number 60 in the nation for percentage of households:

2010 Year-End U.S. Metro Foreclosure Report

Quote:
weather
Yeah, we get snow and winter every year.

Quote:
public corruption
Ironically enough, this has been cleaned up at many levels last year, especially the county level--which means more progress.

Quote:
performance of pro sports teams
Yeah, I still in shaking in the corner from the past year...

I'm guessing they were thinking that since they had us first last year, they had to at least put us somewhere in the top ten no matter what, for some sense of "credibility"...even though Cleveland is moving in the right direction in sooo many levels (homicides are down 40%, income is up, foreclosures are down, Biotech $$$ is way up, $4 Billion in construction happening in the city, 2nd in the Nation for manufacturing job growth, corruption was cleaned out pretty hard, etc)

Old 02-07-2011, 03:46 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,188,008 times
Wow, I guess our economy really wasn't based on LeBron James!

Old 02-07-2011, 04:01 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,343,571 times
Cleveland has its problems, but I'd agree that there are more miserable cities than Cleveland within the country (many of which are ranked worse than Cleveland on this list).

If you'll notice, there are many cities from CA, FL and MI on that list. That's not a surprise; things are pretty tough in Chicago as well.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:07 PM

Things have been tough in places like Chicago for years. However, you have to quantify the situation. Many, many places in the Chicagoland area are highly prosperous. Many others are not. Yet, I think the good outweighs the bad much of the time.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:18 PM

58 posts, read 127,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
I'm guessing they were thinking that since they had us first last year, they had to at least put us somewhere in the top ten no matter what, for some sense of "credibility"...even though Cleveland is moving in the right direction in sooo many levels (homicides are down 40%, income is up, foreclosures are down, Biotech $$$ is way up, $4 Billion in construction happening in the city, 2nd in the Nation for manufacturing job growth, corruption was cleaned out pretty hard, etc)
But this ranking compares cities with one another, not with how they used to be. Maybe other cities have improved more than Cleveland.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:27 PM

Name them.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:28 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,948,860 times
Cities aren't miserable, only people are......

Old 02-07-2011, 05:47 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,343,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Things have been tough in places like Chicago for years. However, you have to quantify the situation. Many, many places in the Chicagoland area are highly prosperous. Many others are not. Yet, I think the good outweighs the bad much of the time.
I just meant that I could see Chicago (the city proper) as one of the cities ranked as more miserable than Cleveland (taken as a whole).

On the same token, I'd be surprised to see some of the larger TX cities ranked as more miserable than Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland