Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:53 AM

256 posts, read 736,531 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to get some input. I was born and raised in the subs of Cleve. Left, came back, left again. I have been living in So. Cal for years. I own property here 5 miles from the Ocean.
Here is my dilemma. So Cal is just not that same as far as people and relationships. I think this is the loneliest place in the world. I have some family and distant friends in Cleve. My family is telling me not to come back because of the weather. I spoke to a realtor there that I worked with in 07 and she told me she regrets moving to Cleve and I would be better somewhere else.
Don't want to be disillusioned and think I can capture my youth. I work in the legal field. Just don't want to live a lonely isolated life where people don't care. I have acquaintances here, just not life long friends. It really is different here for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 10:27 AM

202 posts, read 367,996 times
Kasey77,

I did a summer in SoCal, lived in Chicago for about 2 years, seen most of the country and traveled a little bit in Asia and 100% believe Cleveland is the best region there is. I'm 24 and couldn't be happier about moving back.

Weather? I'm sick of this argument. We don't get natural disasters. Yeah, it's cloudy at times and it rains, but I love the 4 seasons and when we get beautiful days (like the past 2 and today) it's that much more rewarding. I myself hated the LA's monotonous weather, if that makes sense. Long winters? Sure. EMBRACE IT! Go snow-shoeing in Cuyahoga Valley National Park or in one of our beautiful Metro Parks.

My girlfriend got licensed as an attorney in Chicago last year and still hasn't had any luck finding a job. Yet after sending a few courtesy emails in Cleveland, she has a couple of firms interested in her and is happy to be joining me in Cleveland.

A HUGE problem in Cleveland is the negative attitudes by some in suburbs. They've bought into the "Mistake on the Lake" persona and don't get why people move back. But the truth is, this is an incredible city that I wouldn't trade for the world. I'll be living just around the corner from E. 4th, right next to amazing restaurants, the Rapid (transit to University Circle, Shaker Square, etc.) and walking distance to all of our sports teams. As Nick Gilbert said, what's not to like?

With all of the recently finished and ongoing construction projects, living in Cleveland is like living in Sim City! It's exciting to be part of the renaissance here and to get involved with the increasingly growing young professional community that's taking a stake in our city's future.

If you chose to come back to Cleveland, I'll be the first one to buy you your drink of choice and know of plenty of social groups that would be more than happy to show you around! And I know a few realtors that love this town and know it's on the up and up.

I could go on and on, so let me know if you have any questions. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm heading to the Asian Festival before watching the Tribe take on the Reds in this beautiful weather!

Cheers,
Joe

Old 05-21-2011, 01:15 PM

560 posts, read 1,715,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey77 View Post
Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to get some input. I was born and raised in the subs of Cleve. Left, came back, left again. I have been living in So. Cal for years. I own property here 5 miles from the Ocean.
Here is my dilemma. So Cal is just not that same as far as people and relationships. I think this is the loneliest place in the world. I have some family and distant friends in Cleve. My family is telling me not to come back because of the weather. I spoke to a realtor there that I worked with in 07 and she told me she regrets moving to Cleve and I would be better somewhere else.
Don't want to be disillusioned and think I can capture my youth. I work in the legal field. Just don't want to live a lonely isolated life where people don't care. I have acquaintances here, just not life long friends. It really is different here for me.
I'm an Orange County native and my family lived there for 100+ years. My advice is to get out of California. Except for one old aunt, we have all left in the last 6 years. Yes, there are things there that I miss, but CA is no longer a nice place to live in our opinion.

SoCal is way over priced and over taxed. It's so much more crowded that it used to be and I don't miss the hot summers one bit. It's all perspective since I spent the first 25 years of my life in Orange County, but five years later I still think it is so cool to have changing seasons, snow, lots of rain, etc.

California used to be a great place, but now it's so messed-up it's not someplace I'd like to live or even invest in anymore. If CA gets it's act together I'd look at going home as a place to retire... but that's a good 30 to 35 years away for me.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:27 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,633,893 times
Kasey, in the general aspect of things, I always like to be close or within a days drive of family. In the long run, that's what is most important. If you don't want to come back to Cleveland, what about Columbus, Pittsburgh, or Cincinnati? These are all great cities not far from Cleveland. I am from Philadelphia and made it a point to stay close to home, but I have a great job in Cincinnati. I can easily leave in the morning and be back in Philly late afternoon if I have to. Make sure you like your job, and if family matters, being close to them always helps.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:18 PM

256 posts, read 736,531 times
Thank you all for the wonderful positive response. I love Cleveland! When I think of finishing my life out, I do not want to end it alone. Joe, I am taking you up on the drink...Will take me about a year to get out of here. Blessings to you all!

Old 05-21-2011, 10:06 PM

420 posts, read 1,042,610 times
Keeping Cleveland fresh . What I found to be true for the most part , most people
never really know what the other side of town is about. Life does get in the way .As a eastside boy Shaker Square gone to the westside sometime ago .
Cleveland is bigger then where one lives . I finally got my Dad and Step Mom
to move West (from Lynhurst to Olmsted Twp. ) They are loving it, It's all new
to them, Keeping it Fresh !
Me , City boy for life ! I have it all , close to my office downtown using RTA.
Yet I awake to the birds singing , Drinking coffee on my deck , why on earth do people say the quility
of live is not found in the City Proper ?

Last edited by citydudeallover; 05-21-2011 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 AM

708 posts, read 1,815,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
I'm an Orange County native and my family lived there for 100+ years. My advice is to get out of California. Except for one old aunt, we have all left in the last 6 years. Yes, there are things there that I miss, but CA is no longer a nice place to live in our opinion.

SoCal is way over priced and over taxed. It's so much more crowded that it used to be and I don't miss the hot summers one bit. It's all perspective since I spent the first 25 years of my life in Orange County, but five years later I still think it is so cool to have changing seasons, snow, lots of rain, etc.

California used to be a great place, but now it's so messed-up it's not someplace I'd like to live or even invest in anymore. If CA gets it's act together I'd look at going home as a place to retire... but that's a good 30 to 35 years away for me.

I have to agree...I lived in both Northern and Southern Cal ...The people were ok, but not like here...The cost ofl iving absolutely sucks on the west coast especially california...I doubt seriously if california will EVER get its act together...My aunt lives in Long Beach, and she asked if I would ever come back..I told her *&*(()%$ NO, lolol...

Old 05-22-2011, 08:39 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,633,893 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the wonderful positive response. I love Cleveland! When I think of finishing my life out, I do not want to end it alone. Joe, I am taking you up on the drink...Will take me about a year to get out of here. Blessings to you all!
Best of luck, Kasey. Remember, you're not alone, moves are always a difficult thing for everyone no matter how prepared you think you are. There are a lot of different obstacles in the way, but in the long run, you will make the right decision for yourself.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
I agree with those who say be leery about California b/c it is California. What I mean by that is the state is in HORRIBLE financial shape and is going to dig further into its resident' pockets (higher taxes, less 'services') in order to try to balance its books.

I've also heard the SoCal is fake, lonely and a place where enduring relationships are harder to make. Cleveland, on the other hand, has a reputation for being home to salt of the earth types.

My advice is to leave SoCal if possible. If you think Cleveland is the best bet, you can look there but be open to other locales as well.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Weather should not be a deciding factor when there are other things to consider. You have to weigh all the pros and cons of both places and determine which will work best for you. Personally, I wouldn't live in So Cal for anything but that's what works (or doesn't work) for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland