Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:49 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,033,011 times

Advertisements

I would be the last person to ever criticize a rust-belt city, because I happen to love these kinds of cities. I love the historic buildings, urban neighborhoods, etc. My boyfriend is from Cleveland (I live in Pittsburgh), and I was excited that I was going to be able to spend some time in the city and get a good feel for it. I have spent a few weekends there now, and have seen a lot of the city, but I just feel underwhelmed by it. Perhaps I am missing something? So far I have seen downtown, West Park, the Larchmere business district, Coventry, Lakewood, Shaker Heights, Edgewater, Clifton, Little Italy, Ohio City, and Tremont, among several other nice neighborhoods.

There seems to be a feeling, for me at least, of overall blandness. The historic neighborhoods seem to all date from the 1920s, the architecture is all very midwestern/Chicago or prairie style. My passion is Victorian architecture, but I have only been able to find it in Tremont and Ohio City. I was hoping to find more Italianate Victorians, or a district with grand Victorian homes like you would see in the Old West End of Toledo or West 6th Street in Erie, PA. Can anyone point me in the right direction? What is Cleveland's oldest and most grand neighborhood? Are there any Civil War era neighborhoods or hidden gems?

I don't mean to be down on your city because I want to love it. I just feel like I haven't seen the neighborhood that will win me over yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 10:04 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
Well unfortunately, most of Cleveland's 1850-1890 homes have been destroyed due to the rapid expansion of the city during that time period. Most of the remaining housing stock is from 1890-1930.

The best neighborhood homes in the city are along lower Fairmount Blvd in Cleveland Heights/Shaker Hts (and the immediate neighborhoods)....I would recommend exploring that Cleveland Hts area more (although most were built between 1900-1920): Nutt-St. Ann Convent house, Coventry Road, Cleveland Heights, Ohio | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/disappearingatlanta/3760746174/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Lower Prospect offers some hidden gems...although not the neighborhood you're seeking: Exterior of the Prospect Avenue Row House Group, located at 3645-3657 Prospect Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio, United States. Built in 1874, the rowhouses are listed as a historic district on the National Register of Historic (http://www.geolocation.ws/v/W/4d5705ab1d41c86ece044455/exterior-of-the-prospect-avenue-row/en - broken link)
Places. (http://www.geolocation.ws/v/W/4d5705ab1d41c86ece044455/exterior-of-the-prospect-avenue-row/en - broken link)

My first thoughts for pure Victorian are on the side streets of Ohio City (Franklin Blvd, Bridge, etc)

Last edited by costello_musicman; 07-06-2011 at 10:15 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
I do have one hidden street you need to check out, that's not quite Victorian, but I think you'll fall in love with:

University Circle is my favorite part of Cleveland (Museums, Little Italy, Wade Lagoon, Magnolia Dr. houses, walkability, history, history, history, history,) There is one street that is part of the allure for me...it's known as Hessler St.

Next time you're in University Circle, walk down that street and enjoy it's quirkiness.

And when you're down in the neighborhood, eat at L'Albatros...which is inside a converted old Carriage/Guesthouse.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:58 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,033,011 times
Thanks for your suggestions, guys! I really appreciate it. Since I will be spending lots of time in Cleveland, it will be cool to have some interesting places to check out while I'm there.

I have to say, I was impressed with how clean and well-maintained the city appeared to be. I have always heard about Cleveland's alleged "bad" areas, but couldn't find any as hard as I looked for them. Just some grit in the east side, nothing major. Pittsburgh has neighborhoods that are barely standing.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:14 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
Well you are basically correct about the architecture. Cleveland's grand inner city neighborhoods of the Victorian and Civil War periods were located on the east side of the city, and were almost completely wiped out and replaced by industrial development. The best remnant of this is Prospect Avenue on the near east side.

This is what used to be just east of downtown:

Encyclopedia of Cleveland History:EUCLID AVE.

* Cleveland Memory : Search Results

There are also some streets in Ohio City (e.g. Franklin, Clinton) that may have some of what you're looking for. I would say that they are similar to W. 6th Street in Erie.

That being said, I think that you're selling the place short. If you get past those missing esthetics there are still interesting neighborhoods and much to do in Cleveland.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:24 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
I don't know much about types of architecture.. I only know what I like. lol
Check out this area, too, just east of Lakewood. Drive around the streets north of Clifton.
I don't think any of it is victorian but there are some spectacular homes in that area.
Attached Thumbnails
Sort of underwhelmed with Cleveland -- am I missing something?-cliftonlakeshore.jpg  

Old 07-07-2011, 12:31 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
It's not Pittsburgh....it's more like Detroit or Chicago, and I don't necessarily feel that the Art Deco era was a bad era for architecture.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:33 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Thanks for your suggestions, guys! I really appreciate it. Since I will be spending lots of time in Cleveland, it will be cool to have some interesting places to check out while I'm there.

I have to say, I was impressed with how clean and well-maintained the city appeared to be. I have always heard about Cleveland's alleged "bad" areas, but couldn't find any as hard as I looked for them. Just some grit in the east side, nothing major. Pittsburgh has neighborhoods that are barely standing.
Cleveland has much more dangerous neighborhoods than Pittsburgh.....so maybe looks are deceiving. I kinda know what you mean though, some areas that are really rough don't seem as rough as say, Cabrini Green of Chicago did when I was there. I've heard the same remark about bad Minneapolis neighborhoods, but the facade aside, these neighborhoods still have very high crime. NOT to be underestimated, IMO!

Old 07-07-2011, 02:23 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
They have relatively high crime, but the crime is largely of the dog-eat-dog variety that happens in the wee hours of the morning. During the day, the element is largely indoors and underground. The average daytime person will go about their business in 99.9% of the "bad areas" without any hassle.

And, as allegheny said, Pittsburgh has areas that are barely standing. So does Detroit, Cincinnati, Dayton, Gary, Chicago, etc. You don't really see that much here. I'm not saying that some houses and such aren't in a severe state of disrepair. But, in general, the neighborhoods are intact. Cleveland does do a good job of getting rid of condemned structures and, consequently, the squatter element that uses them.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:49 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,911 times
You have not seen my favorite Cleveland things-the westside market-very unique to Cleveland, great food, character and architecture. I miss it so much!

My favorite views of Cleveland were from the Goodtime iii boat. The Friday happy hour cruise is the best price wise and for the great afternoon light for pictures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland