Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 08:10 AM

19 posts, read 481,857 times

Advertisements

Hi, Everyone!

I'm from Michigan, but have lived in the Bay Village area, Shaker Square, and Ohio City. I've also been in FL, and now in ATL, but my husband and I may be relocating back to OH this fall. His job would be in the south Hudson area. We have a 20 month old and #2 due in late fall. We are trying to figure out which suburb to move back to and I'd love to get some feedback on the areas we're considering. I honestly prefer the Westlake area as that's what I'm used to, it was very convenient, but it's not what I would consider a reasonable commuting distance, especially in winter (not even after living in ATL where commuting is indescribably bad). I stay at home, but also work from home, and plan on trying to find some in-home help with the kids PT so I can get things done. Our budget goes up to 400K, but I REALLY do not want to go up that far if it can be helped -- property taxes will make a big difference in what our budget ultimately is i.e. in Hudson there is no way we could pay more than $350K.

So here are issues; Hudson is ADORABLE, but it's also, to me, in the middle of nowhere (but right next to my husband's office). I am used to being able to get into the city in 20 minutes or less when I lived back in CLE. The school system is supposedly amazing, but to the point that I think it's almost TOO competitive -- not sure I want my kids in that environment. I also worry that there will be too many kids with "everything" and I just don't want that kind of attitude around my family. Thoughts? Peninsula is also a consideration, but again, the schools seem a bit iffy and there's little on the market to choose from.

Sagamore Hills seems to have awesome value, but not too sure about Nordonia schools. They don't seem to do well on the state tests (especially at the elementary level) compared to some other areas (then again -- I hate standardized testing, so not sure how this will ultimately affect us, anyway). What are the perceptions around this district? And the area in general? Are the taxes reasonable vs. what you get for the money? Bay's were outrageously high, and went up every other minute, and that became a little exhausting after awhile.

We LOVE Independence, but the housing stock is UGH. There's hardly anything on the market at any point, at least not in move-in condition with any size to it. Love the schools, the area (the low taxes). Brecksville is also adorable, but I feel like that location also makes it just far enough away from everything that it might make me crazy. My in-laws live there and it reminds me of Bay Village East. We have the same problem with the housing stock there as well. Everything move-in ready with size is out of our price range, and the taxes are again, UGH. It's like Independence with crazy taxes. Any thoughts on living in these area, value vs. what you're paying?

In general, I need convenience, but lots of things to do with the kiddos, especially nice parks and other activities that are outdoors.

Thanks for the information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 09:18 AM

236 posts, read 462,369 times
Default Welcome back to C-Town!

Welcome, welcome, welcome back!!!

I currently live in Twinsburg. I'm right next to Hudson, Streetsboro, Solon, Aurora, Macedonia and Sagamore Hills. Last year, Twinsburg was rated #1 best place to live, raise a family, and best school system in Northeast Ohio... I thought that was quite impressive.

In terms of a quality of life, family orientated environment, awesome schools and amenities, Twinsburg has SO MUCH to offer. Check us out!

Old 08-08-2011, 11:36 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
Richfield or Brecksville might be places you want to check out. Both are easy commutes to both Hudson and Downtown Cleveland. Both also have good schools. The drawback for you might be the higher property taxes, but both places are worth looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland