Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:49 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times

Advertisements

Cleveland's East Side, like Chicago's South and West sides, have some of the highest-crime neighborhoods in the nation. Until it stops being that way, you're going to get comments like bacaboy's, and justifiably so. Doesn't mean you can't live a nice life over on East Boulevard, but it doesn't mean bacaboy's has "no idea" about the neighborhood and is "going on what some bigoted uncle" had to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 02:02 PM

29 posts, read 35,164 times
@Cleveland_Collector
The amount of "decent" people on the East Side of Cleveland is irrelevant to the decision. What is relevant is the amount of crime there regardless of how many people are committing said crimes. By that score, the area is as dangerous as ANY in the region and as such is a relative "war" zone. The fact that one needs to be vigilant no matter where they live is obvious, but you need to be much more vigilant in that neighborhood. Clearly, you do did not understand my analogy (or just ignored) about comparing crossing I-90 to some low traffic side street. Which do you think is more dangerous?

As to what is actually going on there, do you know? Or are you just another dreamer who can't state the obvious as it goes against your beliefs, notwithstanding the facts? And bringing up the race card is typical liberal gibberish. I don't care what the race of the local population is but the FACT is that the crime rate is among the highest in the area and there are murders, drug dealing, prostitution and other assorted vices in the area.

With all that, why not give the OP some sound advice and tell him to avoid the area? Buying the best house in the worst neighborhood is ALWAYS a bad move in real estate. Oh yes, because saying that goes against your view of the great happenings in Cleveland, even though such happenings do not touch 98% of city residents who continue to live in the same conditions they did 5,10 and 20 years ago. And the same will hold true 5, 10 and 20 years from now.

So OP, choice is yours as to who you want to believe. The few cheerleaders for Cleveland on this forum or the FACTS as published almost daily in local newspapers and as compiled by local law enforcement.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:02 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
It may not mean it, but it sure comes across that way. And, I'll bet it does.

A "war zone...filled with criminals and drug users?" Give it a rest.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:13 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacaboy View Post
@Cleveland_Collector
The amount of "decent" people on the East Side of Cleveland is irrelevant to the decision. What is relevant is the amount of crime there regardless of how many people are committing said crimes. By that score, the area is as dangerous as ANY in the region and as such is a relative "war" zone. The fact that one needs to be vigilant no matter where they live is obvious, but you need to be much more vigilant in that neighborhood. Clearly, you do did not understand my analogy (or just ignored) about comparing crossing I-90 to some low traffic side street. Which do you think is more dangerous?
I did address it. Apparently, you didn't get it.

Quote:
As to what is actually going on there, do you know? Or are you just another dreamer who can't state the obvious as it goes against your beliefs, notwithstanding the facts? And bringing up the race card is typical liberal gibberish. I don't care what the race of the local population is but the FACT is that the crime rate is among the highest in the area and there are murders, drug dealing, prostitution and other assorted vices in the area.
Of course I know. As opposed to you, I've actually been where this person is talking about. Nobody is suggesting that the OP move to 93rd and Buckeye. Actually, we're suggesting what is true: the house they are looking at is on the fringe of a bad neighborhood but also on the fringe of one of the best neighborhoods in Cleveland proper. It's their choice whether they choose to be a logical, semi-optimist or a raging pessimist.

Quote:
With all that, why not give the OP some sound advice and tell him to avoid the area? Buying the best house in the worst neighborhood is ALWAYS a bad move in real estate. Oh yes, because saying that goes against your view of the great happenings in Cleveland, even though such happenings do not touch 98% of city residents who continue to live in the same conditions they did 5,10 and 20 years ago. And the same will hold true 5, 10 and 20 years from now.
We did give the OP sound advice. You came in here screaming bloody murder.

Quote:
So OP, choice is yours as to who you want to believe. The few cheerleaders for Cleveland on this forum or the FACTS as published almost daily in local newspapers and as compiled by local law enforcement.
It's nice that you've completely disregarded that, a.) the OP lives in Euclid and is therefore well versed on the east side (and likely closer to it than you have ever been) and, b.) is quite capable of reading and has done the research (hence, the detail). The choice is indeed th OP's, I would just hope that they make their decision based on calm logic rather than the rampant naysayer craziness coming from the keyboard of a 5 post wonder.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:16 PM

@Clevelend_Collector
No...why don't you open your eyes. We all want Cleveland to succeed, but the fact is that crime is rampant in the area that the OP is considering. Would you want to live there? If so, go scoop up a bargain priced house and be the "pioneer" you think the OP should become. I'm stating the facts that the area is plagued with crime and my OPINION that the OP should avoid it at all costs.

Do you think he/she should buy there? If so say so. Otherwise, stop making assumptions about people and labeling them because they see Cleveland for what it is and advise someone to AVOID making a mistake by moving into a crime infested area.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:22 PM

Oh I see. Your constant posting on this forum somehow makes you more knowledgeable and credible about what is going on in Clevleland? I too know that area quite well and the city in general. Too bad I see it differently than you. As to the that neighborhood being closets to one of the "best" in the city, so what? It is still in a crime infested area. Do you dispute that fact?

Any poster who does not speak positively about Cleveland must be a suburban fool who only watches the evening news. No, they couldn't actually live IN the city could they?

Again, your bias is so glaring as to be almost laughable.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
I've lived on Cleveland's east side for nearly 20 years and no one even bothered to mention that we were waging a war here!

Old 06-27-2012, 05:46 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,378 times
Do it. Assuming you're getting the house at a good price, take the money you're saving and buy the best security system out there. And get a dog or two.

Enjoy biking 2 miles to Univ. Circle for the closest safe convenience store and restaurant.

(Honestly, I personally wouldn't take the plunge, it's simply not a good neighborhood. But if you have thicker skin than I, I'd love it if you could make this work. It could be a very exciting place to live.)

Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
I think both Cleveland Collector and Bacaboy have made good points. It honestly is a difficult decision, one that I've considered myself. The question really comes down to how comfortable are you with the fact that the area is high crime, and probably unsafe to be walking around in after sundown. That area has so much potential, and I really wish some of the positive development happening in UC can spill into that neighborhood. I have long thought that if any neighborhood on the East side were to be "gentrified", that would be it. But at this point, it is still about as bad as any neighborhood on the East side. You do live in Euclid, so I'm sure you're not some rosy-eyed suburbanite who's unfamiliar with the problems of urban life. Considering that, and the other reasons you describe, I'd say you should do it, but like the other posters have said, buy a great security system, park in the garage every night, and don't go out after dark.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 06-27-2012 at 07:52 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 01:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,249 times
Cleveland | GIS Viewer

Any thoughts on this? It seems to be the most updated/working map of crimes I've found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland