Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 12:28 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,855,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
A lot of people say that they hear stereotypes about Cleveland from anywhere and everywhere in the world. Even from the people in Cleveland themselves. So, what stereotypes do you hear about the city? It doesn't matter where it comes from, for example, did you hear it while you were on vacation, somebody from the city, the media (local or national), movies/TV shows or out-of-towners. I'm asking this because I get tired of hearing stuff about the jokes about the river catching on fire over 40 years ago, "The Decision", etc.
Hi Qcongress83216--

A lot of friends of mine in the Cincinnati area hate Cleveland. They can't explain why, and they've never been there.

Me? I don't like how the winter weather is. I don't like what Cleveland calls professional sports. I don't like how Clevelanders drive, I don't like how Clevelanders vote...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 02:52 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,240,282 times
Rock n Roll Hall of Fame - big Rock City

Old 09-15-2012, 06:21 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,458,230 times
Living in Toronto, we get a lot of the negative stuff about that city, and just last week CBC TV did a five part series about " Depressed American cities " that featured Cleveland.

The reporter did a tour of the city, and showed the huge number of homes that can't find a buyer, and are being torn down.

Meanwhile, in Toronto, the economy and the real estate market is booming. Building cranes dot the skyline,and construction workers are doing 12 hour days, to keep up with the demand. Re sale homes in Toronto usually sell within the first week on the market. The average sale prcve in Toronto is about 450,000 dollars. What is it in Cleveland, about 50k ?

My Wife and I attended a conference in Cleveland, in October of last year, and the hotel that we stayed in was modern and busy. But the staff warned us not to walk around downtown, after 6 pm. I went out, and did a 15 minute walk around the core, and saw TWO people. In Toronto that number would have been two hundred people.

That to me is the biggest difference, between the States and Canada...... In Canada, people are not afraid to be on the street, at any time. In many American cities, after the work day ends, everyone goes home and stays there. Deserted streets equals fear, to me.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:36 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,417,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

That to me is the biggest difference, between the States and Canada...... In Canada, people are not afraid to be on the street, at any time. In many American cities, after the work day ends, everyone goes home and stays there. Deserted streets equals fear, to me.
Canada never witnessed urban race riots during the twentieth century. Canada also doesn't have to deal with a federal government that's obsessed with outward growth. Federal government policy in the U.S. has been one of the major drivers for urban sprawl in cities like Cleveland.

It's a bad comparison.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:24 PM

41,995 posts, read 75,295,700 times
Another one I enjoy is "Cleveland is flat."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
A lot of friends of mine in the Cincinnati area hate Cleveland. They can't explain why, and they've never been there.
This really shocked me when I moved from Cleveland to Cincinnati. Most of the people I knew in Cleveland thought of Cincinnati -- if they thought of it at all -- as a nice place to spend an occasional weekend. I was not prepared for the intensity of the ridicule and vitriol I experienced when moving to Cincinnati. And you're right that the worst of it came from people who'd never been to Cleveland.

Quote:
I don't like what Cleveland calls professional sports.
Cleveland fans don't like it, either.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:35 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,484,609 times
Quote:
Living in Toronto, we get a lot of the negative stuff about that city, and just last week CBC TV did a five part series about " Depressed American cities " that featured Cleveland.

The reporter did a tour of the city, and showed the huge number of homes that can't find a buyer, and are being torn down.

Meanwhile, in Toronto, the economy and the real estate market is booming. Building cranes dot the skyline,and construction workers are doing 12 hour days, to keep up with the demand. Re sale homes in Toronto usually sell within the first week on the market. The average sale prcve in Toronto is about 450,000 dollars. What is it in Cleveland, about 50k ?

My Wife and I attended a conference in Cleveland, in October of last year, and the hotel that we stayed in was modern and busy. But the staff warned us not to walk around downtown, after 6 pm. I went out, and did a 15 minute walk around the core, and saw TWO people. In Toronto that number would have been two hundred people.

Jim B

Toronto.

I really don't know why locals tell people to not walk around downtown. There is nothing to worry about in downtown Cleveland that is any different from any other city. Also, were you actually downtown? Or maybe a lot really has changed in a year since you were here, because I see lots of people downtown all the time! Maybe not at like 3 in the morning really, but definitely all hours of the evening and into the night.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 AM

bjimmy24>

The hotel that we stayed at was two blocks from Police Headquarters. Is that downtown, I think it is.

I 've been to and through Cleveland on many occasions.

I was an owner operator, with my own one ton Ford van, delivering expedite freight from Toronto, to all 48 states, for five years, 1996 to 2001.

Cleveland is just one of many US cities that has been adversly affected by both the recession, and the overall decline in the American economy.

My original point, about the vast difference, between Cleveland and Toronto, was made to point out how a country that is so conjoined , economically to the USA, is booming, and the USA is NOT.

JIm B

Toronto.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
bjimmy24>

The hotel that we stayed at was two blocks from Police Headquarters. Is that downtown, I think it is.

I 've been to and through Cleveland on many occasions.

I was an owner operator, with my own one ton Ford van, delivering expedite freight from Toronto, to all 48 states, for five years, 1996 to 2001.

Cleveland is just one of many US cities that has been adversly affected by both the recession, and the overall decline in the American economy.

My original point, about the vast difference, between Cleveland and Toronto, was made to point out how a country that is so conjoined , economically to the USA, is booming, and the USA is NOT.

JIm B

Toronto.

Well, it sounds like you didn't walk down East 4th or West 6th or 9th or Euclid or Public Square. If you walked towards the lake, then yeah, not gonna be much. I guarantee you would see more than 2 people, if you actually walked "the core." But I don't really understand the Toronto-Cleveland comparison. Why compare the largest city in Canada to the 47th largest city in the USA? You can't really say that the USA is so depressed because you thought Cleveland was boring. Though I would also disagree with that- Cleveland is definitely "booming" in my book! Toronto is cool too, don't get me wrong!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:37 AM

How did I know where the CPD HQ was, if I didn`t walk around the core.........

Methinks that you are trying too hard.

Jim B

Old 09-17-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
How did I know where the CPD HQ was, if I didn`t walk around the core.........

Methinks that you are trying too hard.

Jim B
...because that is was it said on the one building you saw? It's not like the city is built around the CPD headquarters. Hate to say it, but you didn't explore nearly as much as you think you did.

I have not met anyone else that uses "CPD HQ" as a reference point for where they were. I've heard "Public Square," "Warehouse District," "West Side Market," but no one has ever told me to meet them by the police department...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland