Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:25 PM

233 posts, read 455,043 times

Advertisements

I think this is a fantastic idea that will revitalize and put to use an amenity that has been hidden for too long, what do you all think?

Emerging architects and designers from around the world see big possibilities for civic renewal on the vacant lower level of the Detroit-Superior Bridge.
They’d connect it to staircases that would reach up through the soaring arch in the bridge’s central span to create viewing platforms high over the Cuyahoga River. They’d fill the bridge’s lower level with cafes and kiosks, art galleries, sporting venues, farmer’s markets, libraries or restaurants. And they’d build a Ferris wheel next to it.

Winners of Cleveland Design Competition advocate big changes for lower level of the Detroit-Superior Bridge | cleveland.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 01:27 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
I'd definitely ditch the Ferris wheel idea. Too theme park-y.

The rest might work if they did it tastefully.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I'd definitely ditch the Ferris wheel idea. Too theme park-y.

The rest might work if they did it tastefully.
Doesn't the North Side of Chicago have a Ferris wheel or something? I think it can create an alternative activity aside from going to restaurants and clubbing. If built at the right height it can offer great views, it was actual my favorite idea that was pitched

Old 10-27-2012, 07:11 AM

254 posts, read 307,659 times
Looks pretty amazing to me... I didn't even realize there was a lower level.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 AM

372 posts, read 466,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowes80 View Post
Looks pretty amazing to me... I didn't even realize there was a lower level.
They have done some pretty cool art theme-type shows on the lower level before. I really like the staircase idea. Imagine the great views you would have up there over the Flats, skyline, and lake.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:28 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Sounds like a really cool idea. Hopefully this isn't another one of those things that is planned and discussed and never followed through upon.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:38 PM

220 posts, read 321,962 times
Hey I think the ferris wheel could be a nice touch, at least have something that offers a nice view. I agree with Mr216.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:23 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr216 View Post
Doesn't the North Side of Chicago have a Ferris wheel or something?
Yes, Navy Pier... and real Chicagoans consider it a huge tourist trap and don't generally go there. I've lived here 17 years and have been there exactly twice -- once when my office work group held a meeting there, and once when a Cleveland friend visited and wanted to go to the IMAX theater (this was before Cleveland had an IMAX).

Old 10-27-2012, 09:01 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
Interesting side note, the Ferris wheel was actually invented for the 1892 Chicago World's Fair. At that time it held enclosed cars that carried up to 60 people each, and was designed to upstage the Eiffel tower which was built for the previous world's fair.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Yes, Navy Pier... and real Chicagoans consider it a huge tourist trap and don't generally go there. I've lived here 17 years and have been there exactly twice -- once when my office work group held a meeting there, and once when a Cleveland friend visited and wanted to go to the IMAX theater (this was before Cleveland had an IMAX).
Well if tourist use it that's a good thing as well it just gives people another reason to come to Cleveland and something else to enjoy about our great city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland