Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,096 times

Advertisements

I think it's a strange question, too. Let me explain:

I am in Tampa, soon to be relocating for work reasons to Cleveland. I am excited and looking forward to the challenge. We are planning on Shaker or Cleveland Heights and my wife is already up there scouting houses. We lean toward those beautiful brick 3 storied old 1920's places that there seem to be so many of up there. Nothing like most housing here in Tampa.

So my wife found a nice looking 3000 sq ft place with the right yard, street, neighborhood, etc. But it has no air conditioning. At all. So this Floridian says, "WHAAAAA???" I don't need to live in a refrigerator, I keep my thermostat at 76-78 most of the time. I have seen plenty of Cleveland houses with AC so this one takes me by surprise.

So, should keep looking? Retrofitting I am sure would be thousands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We lived south of Cleveland for 40 years and always had air conditioning....sometimes for the heat of summer and sometimes for the humidity. I would not want to be without it, but perhaps since you are acclimated to FL, you would be alright without AC in Ohio.

If the house has forced air heating, adding AC wouldn't be that hard.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:33 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Cleveland summers are not that bad. There will be some days that you definitely need it, but on most days the hottest it gets is in the 80s. I think we ran our air conditioner maybe 8 or 9 times the whole season. One thing the lake is good for is keeping us at more moderate temperatures .

Old 03-30-2013, 06:39 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
There will be a week or two in July-August where you would really like one, but in my opinion, it's better to just tough it out and go to the pool or hang out by the lake for those days. Don't need AC.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
It's nice to have, but it is not a must like it is in the south. I know plenty of people who don't even have a window unit. I pretty much hate anything over 85 degrees and we do get our share of that weather during the summer (usually 90-95 at its worst). However, my AC usually stays off until mid-June. I would say the general "AC season" in NEO is about mid June through mid September. But, you will find yourself turning it off several times during that time and opening the windows as there are usually several breaks in the heat and humidity where the sleeping weather is quite pleasant.

If you find a house that you like that has forced-air heat, you can usually add cental AC for a few thousand dollars. If it has hot water baseboard or radiator heat, central AC would be an expensive and messy retrofit. In that case, I would suggest a few strategically placed window units for the few months you would need them. I certainly would not rule out buying a place simply because it doesn't have central AC.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 AM

19 posts, read 62,480 times
The farther you are from the lake, the more you will want, not necessarily need, AC. The humidity can get bad especially if you don't get the lake breezes. I would definitely have at least a bedroom unit if you want to sleep comfortably in the summer. Lack of central air is no reason to count out a beautiful home of course. Side note ; For women, putting on makeup and doing our hair while we're sweating is a miserable proposition. Happy wife, happy life

Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick over there View Post
So my wife found a nice looking 3000 sq ft place with the right yard, street, neighborhood, etc. But it has no air conditioning. At all. So this Floridian says, "WHAAAAA???" I don't need to live in a refrigerator, I keep my thermostat at 76-78 most of the time. I have seen plenty of Cleveland houses with AC so this one takes me by surprise.

So, should keep looking? Retrofitting I am sure would be thousands.

I lived in Lakewood for dive years WITHOUT air conditioning and never missed it. The ONLY month where I had any regrets was in August. The breeze off the lake kept the climate very moderate.

I prefer a neighborhood with few air conditioners. In those neighborhoods, people tend to spend a lot more time OUTSIDE in the backyard or on the front porch. That builds better neighborhoods.

Since I have relocated to Chicagoland, everybody has an air conditioner and many leave it running when it is 50F outside. You rarely see the neighbors as they become heat intolerant.

As for putting air conditioning in, I don't believe it is not that expensive if you have a forced air furnace.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:05 PM

22 posts, read 37,497 times
I guess I will be the dissenting voice...

You need air. It gets hot here and has all the humidity of a bad day in FL.

If the house doesn't have a/c, window units in a few strategic rooms are a good option. We use window units.

The people who don't have a/c here generally wish they had it. Before this thread I've never met a Clevelander who was all 'naw, I don't need no stinkin' a/c' and I've been here almost 20years!

M

Old 04-02-2013, 11:13 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
You'll need it a couple months out of the year but I agree, a few window units would be just enough if you don't have central ac.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:34 AM

48 posts, read 93,574 times
Central air is not needed, but a window unit is a most. Some years are blazing hot, others not so. Last summer would have been miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland