Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 07:47 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveland_collector View Post
max- then i guess i'm just a wannabe guido... Not. And, jungle jim's... Please. That place is like a super wal-mart with a humidor, liquor store, and a decent cheese selection. It didn't take me long to realize that literally anything in the place is generally overpriced and could be easily found within a 10 mile radius of my house. It's also in the middle of nowhere (i.e., not even close to the city proper). The wsm is an integral part of the city fabric with rail service literally steps away. Is jj even in hamilton county?
+10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 08:13 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
ugh. Here we go again. How anyone that has lived here for 28 years can say "nothing's changed, Cleveland is not turning itself around" must be living in a closet. I've lived here my entire 40 years and I am blown away by what's been happening here the last 4-5 years. I don't wear rose colored glasses. But I do pay very close attention to what's going on.

I'm staying out of this one... for now.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:31 AM

11,054 posts, read 12,452,032 times
You shouldn't have added "any thoughts on this?" to the end of your post if you didn't want people's thoughts on this, OP. You shouldn't have posted at all if you didn't want to get made fun of for hanging out at Crocker Park.

And what the hell are you talking about? The 3 abandonded shops on W. 25 in Ohio City? You mean vacant storefronts? Which can be found anywhere? On my street in Boston there are at least that many. Ariel Castro didn't live in Ohio City. But don't let facts get in the way.

Why don't you answer my question: Where did you go in Cleveland? Given that you have delayed so much in answering, I doubt I'll get an honest answer now. Not entirely sure why you chose to post and then get super salty about getting called out on your ignorance.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:02 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Why is everyone so obsessed with malls??? Literally on every city forum there are people talking about how such and such neighborhood or such and such city is really in the dumps because some monstrosity mall finally mercifully closed....

Anyway, you come back to Cleveland and you decide you need to hit up Legacy Village and Crocker Park?! Did you actually go in to the city, or did you stay in suburbia? I'm betting largely on the latter. You really shouldn't be surprised that the people who hang out in Crocker Park don't really know anything about anything.

Nothing new? No construction? Seriously??? Some parts of downtown, University Circle, Ohio City, Tremont, Gordon Square, etc. are utterly unrecognizable (in a good way) from the 90s. Did you see the new additions to the Art Museum? Probably not. Did you go to East 4th street? Warehouse District? West 25th? Euclid Avenue? Did you check out the restaurants in Asiatown? Did you walk around Cleveland State?

As for your comparissons to other cities, Cleveland never was "above" Cincinnati. Maybe it felt like it was above Columbus before, but Cbus has always been the capital. You really think Pittsburgh "Feels" more important than Cleveland? Based on what? What does "feeling" important even mean?

I think you've got a weird childhood memory. When I was a kid, I remember Cleveland being dirty and smelly. It's not that bad now. Also, crime rates have gone way down compared to the 80s. I am not sure what you were expecting and I'm not sure how exactly you spent your time here... I just came back from Boston for a couple weeks for the first time in 9 months. Even in that time, it seems like a place that is getting more exciting.
Cleveland was ''above'' Cinci and Cbus.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Cleveland was ''above'' Cinci and Cbus.
cincinnati would absolutely disagree. not entirely without merit either.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:24 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,536,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Max- Then I guess I'm just a wannabe guido... not. And, Jungle Jim's... please. That place is like a Super Wal-Mart with a humidor, liquor store, and a decent cheese selection. It didn't take me long to realize that literally anything in the place is generally overpriced and could be easily found within a 10 mile radius of my house. It's also in the middle of nowhere (i.e., not even close to the city proper). The WSM is an integral part of the city fabric with rail service literally steps away. Is JJ even in Hamilton County?
Jungle Jims is in Butler County, and they have another in Clermont County. It was so successfull, they needed to build the 2nd location. They import many products from other countries and have their own sections for region specific foods. You will be hard pressed to easily find everything in there within a 10 mile radius from your home. JJ is located 20 miles from city proper, and hardly in the middle of nowhere. WSM is no more an intergal part to Cleveland city fabric than the North Market is to Columbus city fabric.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
WSM is no more an intergal part to Cleveland city fabric than the North Market is to Columbus city fabric.
What a joke. The two aren't even slightly comparable. Take away the WSM and see what happens to Ohio city. Take away North Market, and probably 15 people notice, are disappointed, and then get over it.

You have no idea what you're talking about. About anything.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:11 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Jungle Jims is in Butler County, and they have another in Clermont County. It was so successfull, they needed to build the 2nd location. They import many products from other countries and have their own sections for region specific foods. You will be hard pressed to easily find everything in there within a 10 mile radius from your home. JJ is located 20 miles from city proper, and hardly in the middle of nowhere. WSM is no more an intergal part to Cleveland city fabric than the North Market is to Columbus city fabric.
I've been there. I also know what I can find within a 10 mile radius of my home. Trust me, with the WSM, Whole Foods, Market District, a dozen Italian markets, several Asian markets, Several eastern European markets, several Middle East/Meditteranean markets, 2-3 very good Mexican markets, 20+ state stores, Cigar Cigars and the plethora of other specialty stores in my immediate area, there is nothing there that I would need or want that can't be had within that distance. Places like JJ are immaterial in a city like Cleveland because anything it would offer is already here and can be had at a reasonable price minus the zoo-like atmosphere. It comes from the 200 year history and the cosmopolitan nature of the city at-large.

20 miles away from Cincinnati, north of the outer bypass (I-275), in an area that looks like a series of failed strip mall developments = middle of nowhere. It isn't even in the same friggin county. And, now they have a second one that is a fraction of the first and STILL many miles from the city proper in another county. My friend, you might as well be talking about a distant suburban shopping mall.

Not for the love of pointing out egregious non sequiturs, but weren't we discussing Jungle Jim's?
I'll leave the rest of the comment on the NM/WSM comparison to bjimmy24 as it is a spot on assessment of your ludicrous statement.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:59 AM

358 posts, read 621,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You shouldn't have added "any thoughts on this?" to the end of your post if you didn't want people's thoughts on this, OP. You shouldn't have posted at all if you didn't want to get made fun of for hanging out at Crocker Park.
Getting made fun of for hanging at Crocker Park?? I forgot, it is in the suburbs therefore it is evil.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
Getting made fun of for hanging at Crocker Park?? I forgot, it is in the suburbs therefore it is evil.
It's not evil, it just sucks.

I'll never understand you people and your insatiable consumerism. How much stuff do you really need?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland