Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:48 PM

151 posts, read 227,453 times

Advertisements

Someone from back home told me that they saw the rides at Geauga Lake being torn down. I did some research online and I see that the park is closed for good. I used to go to that park all of the time when I was young. I began smelling trouble when Six Flags took control for a few years. It is a shame to see it go. Anyone know what will be done with the park once its gone? Guessing a new WalMart and some homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 06:28 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt121779 View Post
Someone from back home told me that they saw the rides at Geauga Lake being torn down. I did some research online and I see that the park is closed for good. I used to go to that park all of the time when I was young. I began smelling trouble when Six Flags took control for a few years. It is a shame to see it go. Anyone know what will be done with the park once its gone? Guessing a new WalMart and some homes.
Oh no... The Big Dipper!?!?!?!? The Corkscrew??!?!?! I am sad to hear that....so many memories there. The really breaks my heart. I haven't been able to find funnel cakes like they had anywhere in this country. ( you know, the crispy honeycomb looking things!?)

Old 12-03-2007, 09:09 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt121779 View Post
Go to Cedar Point...it always was better then Geauga Lake anyway.

Well...there is the point that Cedar Fair bought Geauga Lake and then closed it. They will keep the water park open....at least for now. Some of the rides are going to Kings Island (also in Ohio) and other Cedar Fair parks across the nation.

I doubt it's going to be another Wal-mart....Cedar Fair tends to build hotels and such near their water parks....though they may sell off some of the property.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:08 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Default End of an era

Of course Cedar Point is bigger and better, but Geauga Lake was a really classic amusement park. Ran for almost 120 years. I practically grew up there as a kid and young teenager. I lived in Solon about 4 miles away and my friends and I used to get season passes. What a blast We didn't care that it was kind of run down. We would just hang out at the arcade, looking at girls and riding the Big Dipper, Rotor, and the Big Ditch over and over and over!

Kind of bums me out. Had I known they were ripping the place down, I would have made a trip out there before I moved away last summer

Here's a good discussion about it:

Geauga Lake is no more

So what were your favorite Geauga Lake rides?

Old 12-04-2007, 01:09 AM

151 posts, read 227,453 times
Yeah, Cedar Point knocked the crap out of Geauga Lake that was for sure, but when I was a student at Kent State, I used to like going to Geauga Lake just to spend saturdays and afternoons because it was such an old park there were still some quiet areas. Just had a totally different feel from Cedar Point. I think my favorite ride was the Villian. I liked the Big Dipper as well. I rode Raging Wolf Bobs a few times, but I remember it being closed a lot. When Six Flags operated it I noticed it became dirty and we actually were on a few rides that malfunctioned. We were stuck on Mr Hides nasty fall one time for about 25 minutes.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Of course Cedar Point is bigger and better, but Geauga Lake was a really classic amusement park. Ran for almost 120 years. I practically grew up there as a kid and young teenager. I lived in Solon about 4 miles away and my friends and I used to get season passes. What a blast We didn't care that it was kind of run down. We would just hang out at the arcade, looking at girls and riding the Big Dipper, Rotor, and the Big Ditch over and over and over!

Kind of bums me out. Had I known they were ripping the place down, I would have made a trip out there before I moved away last summer

Here's a good discussion about it:

Geauga Lake is no more

So what were your favorite Geauga Lake rides?
I agree. You almost can not compare Cedar Point to Geauga Lake...at least not to those who grew up in the area (and not just this last generation). It's a relic. It was also convenient to go to quite often, as opposed to Cedar Point which was a little bit of a haul. I'm sure it became dirty and run down...the rickety Big Dipper was my favorite though. That thing had peeling paint (probably had lead in it..LOL), and creaked even when I was a young child in the late 70's and early 80's! The Rotor was good (if I remember that is the big cylinder that spun so fast you stuck to the wall?), and the Big Dipper. If I dug deep enough in my brain...I could come up with each of my favs..the names are escaping me. Wasn't the corkscrew there? The "new" at the time, modern rollercoaster that took you on one upside down turn, and then back in the terminal? I thought that was one they added after a while...might be confusing with elsewhere though! Good thread!!!!

Old 12-04-2007, 09:44 AM

302 posts, read 1,101,313 times
Default yes!!

Raging Wolf was sweet. It was so rickety whenever I was on it with friends. It felt like the cars could just fly off the track at any moment.
What ever happened to the Sea World side?I know they kept that kinda like it was, and added some stuff, and the actual water water park was back on the other side of the Lake. Probably changed since last time I was there though, and now its closed.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:12 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Wasn't the corkscrew there? The "new" at the time, modern rollercoaster that took you on one upside down turn, and then back in the terminal? I thought that was one they added after a while...might be confusing with elsewhere though! Good thread!!!!
Yea, the corkscrew was hilarious! Wait for an hour to ride for 40 seconds! There was also the Double Loop(what a creative name) towards the back of the park. I once saw some people stuck UPSIDE DOWN on that thing. Yes, the rotor was the cylinder with dropped floor. Brilliant really. There was a guy who used to go there and ride it all day...wow.

How about the Antique Cars(great when you were too young to drive), the Putt-Putt course, and of course...The Witches Wheel.

When I was a kid, I got stuck on the Ski-Lift right over the canal where the Big Ditch(hokey riverboat ride) started. We were stuck for over two hours! They finally had to bring a giant tractor to haul the pulley cable backwards to get everybody in!

BTW, the Ski-Lift was the best place to cruise for girls. The cars would pass really close to each other and there was always some great "monkeyshines" going on.

Good times!

Old 12-04-2007, 10:44 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I can still hear the radio jingle in my head ... "Double loop and corkscrew, too. Only at Geauga Lake."

Dang.

Anyone know which rides are going where?

Old 12-04-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Yea, the corkscrew was hilarious! Wait for an hour to ride for 40 seconds! There was also the Double Loop(what a creative name) towards the back of the park. I once saw some people stuck UPSIDE DOWN on that thing. Yes, the rotor was the cylinder with dropped floor. Brilliant really. There was a guy who used to go there and ride it all day...wow.

How about the Antique Cars(great when you were too young to drive), the Putt-Putt course, and of course...The Witches Wheel.

When I was a kid, I got stuck on the Ski-Lift right over the canal where the Big Ditch(hokey riverboat ride) started. We were stuck for over two hours! They finally had to bring a giant tractor to haul the pulley cable backwards to get everybody in!

BTW, the Ski-Lift was the best place to cruise for girls. The cars would pass really close to each other and there was always some great "monkeyshines" going on.

Good times!
YES...I remember waiting forEVER and then poof, all finished. I almost forgot about those cars! I loved them. Drove 1 MPH around the tracks. The Witches Wheel...wow. the Ski Lift...crazy. It has been a long time. I just remember drinking the punch in the plastic containers shaped like a grape, orange, whatever. Ahhh...so sad to see it go. I know I'm getting older when I am walking down memory lane regarding a defunct amusement park from childhood. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland