Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 01:06 AM

5 posts, read 5,254 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I'm new to Cleveland coming in from NJ and I'll be starting my residency at the Cleveland Clinic in June. I've been procrastinating a bit and finally starting to get on the apartment hunt process. I don't know anything about Cleveland except for a couple of neighborhoods that residents live in (Shaker Heights and University Circle), but I've heard Cleveland has a lot of places to live.

Basically I'm looking to rent a 1 bedroom place that is newer/modern, decent size (not a NYC shoebox apartment), affordable (less than $1000), with full/newer appliance, parking, snow cleaning, and somewhere close to the Clinic (10-15 minutes tops). Also would be nice to be a safe area, coming from where I went to school in NJ where we had students mugged on campus and probably the world's most dangerous IHOP

I've heard so much about Cleveland being a much more affordable place to live than coming from the NY/NJ area, and being on my slim pickings residency salary I'd like to get the best bang for my buck. I would really appreciate any recommendations or if anyone knows of any available places. I would like to come to Cleveland soon after I make a list of places so I can see them and lock one down asap. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 05:20 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,893 times
You literally can get every one bedroom apartment in the Cleveland area if your budget is $1000 a month. Heck you can probably rent a house. Half to a third of what you would pay in NJ is what the rents are here, this coming from someone who has lived in both.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:08 AM

8 posts, read 14,685 times
Welcome to Cleveland and clinic
When I did my residency many of my colleagues used to stay ay Reserve square apartments which I heard was good.
Good luck

Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,288,515 times
Welcome to Cleveland!

Yes you can get an apartment Downtown, Ohio City, Cleveland Heights, Little Italy, University Circle, etc pretty easy at that price point.

Places like Little Italy, Cleveland heights, Ohio City... It's best to look for "For Rent" signs in the windows.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:54 AM

185 posts, read 248,143 times
Shoreway Lofts being built in former Globe Machine & Stamping Co. building - newsnet5.com Cleveland

Go Big! This place is going to be amazing and its located in the best neighborhood in Cleveland!

Old 04-25-2014, 07:24 PM

493 posts, read 640,001 times
Look somewhere downtown. They have new and remodeled buildings on busy streets that is a short 5 minute drive to The Cleveland Clinic main campus.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:29 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,130,432 times
Uptown in University Circle might be slightly out of your price range, but check out other apartments in there area. Some have special deals for Clinic employees, such as Circle East.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:07 AM

5 posts, read 5,254 times
Thanks for the information! Its definitely a bit intimidating to have to find places for a city so far away. Are those downtown places less than $1000 a month? They look way too nice... Do you guys recommend getting a realtor as well to help? Seems like Craigslist is kinda miss-miss with not exactly my kind of places (seem old, shady or just bleh). Any neighborhoods to avoid looking in?

Last edited by bklynnetschamps; 04-28-2014 at 12:18 AM..

Old 04-28-2014, 07:08 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,130,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynnetschamps View Post
Thanks for the information! Its definitely a bit intimidating to have to find places for a city so far away. Are those downtown places less than $1000 a month? They look way too nice... Do you guys recommend getting a realtor as well to help? Seems like Craigslist is kinda miss-miss with not exactly my kind of places (seem old, shady or just bleh). Any neighborhoods to avoid looking in?
There are lots of neighborhoods I wouldn't recommend, and it can very within a few blocks. If you tell me what neighborhoods you're looking in I can tell you how the neighborhood is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland