Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 01:15 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,030 times

Advertisements

if you were going to retire with a full pension...nothing to pay but a truck payment absolutey no respnsibility what so ever! where would you go? and what would you do?
think about this because i am nearing this point soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 02:06 PM

302 posts, read 1,100,853 times
I'd move back to Europe and travel around there, go to Australia and South Pacific, etc.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:19 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,276 times
It depends on how much money I would be getting for retirement. I would probably keep a house in the Cleveland area but I would probably have a rental or buy a small house around Florida or down south somewhere. I would travel to a lot of places like Europe and Puerto Rico and also jut take a lot of road trips and explore the world and different cultures and religions. Of course I would make sure that I had enough money to support all of this but as long as I was smart about it I should be good.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:35 PM

26 posts, read 110,464 times
I would stay where you are so you always have a house to come home too and then I'd travel around the united states first and abroad second. Whe you are done doing that I would settle in the place that you found made you happiest.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:32 PM

11 posts, read 29,482 times
Find a small home in a small community to call home and travel at least once a year to a country or an area of the U.S. that you have always wondered about.

Either that or move to the Florida Keys and eat dinner on the beach every night during sunset.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanweazel View Post
Find a small home in a small community to call home and travel at least once a year to a country or an area of the U.S. that you have always wondered about.

Either that or move to the Florida Keys and eat dinner on the beach every night during sunset.
Well Tex this is kind of my plan A. I have an opportunity to acquire a trailer in fl, in a non Jerry Springer trailer park which would give the kids and grand kids a place to vacation and I wouldnt be tied down with any maintainence do to the park would do the mowing etc.
buy a travel trailer and go exploring whenever i felt the need to sight see.
that is plan A. i would like some input for a plan B.,C.,and D.
the Europe idea would have been great 10 years ago but today.....visiting canada would scare me!!!

Old 01-08-2008, 12:00 PM

11 posts, read 29,482 times
Ok..how's about having a summer home up here and spend the rest of the time in Florida? Y'a know...I am feeling the same way about travel, but I try to remember to stay out of my comfort zone and see stuff. I did that when visiting Hawaii in '06 and am eternally grateful that I did.

Neat thing about no responsibilities is that you don't really need a plan B, C, or D.

After setting up the trailer in "non-springerville" Toss a dart at a map and go with it...that's what I would do (and I would shake it up and make it a world map; the only countries that are automatic "foul/retry" are radical muslim or war torn areas that might think killing a clueless American is a great pastime).

Good luck and drop a line to let us know what you end up doing.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:21 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,747 times
Default New Mexico

I'm reluctantly moving back to Akron to care for family, I was there around Christmas...Akron, Cleveland, Medina, Youngstown and never saw so many depressed faces with tombstones in their eyes, gray sky, and lousy dangerous non-drivers, especially in Medina where I grew up!
There is a place in my heart for NE Ohio, but not what it once was.

I have to leave New Mexico, and after a year I have my complaints about that state, but not as many or never so much than when I was in Ohio. I've met so many rugged yet real, friendly to a fault people in NM, the weather is to die for, and wide open scenery that far outweighs a claustrophobic Ohio. The smell of pinon wood burning at a campfire is just one of the simple pleasures here. No local city tax exists ANYWHERE in New Mexico. They do have a sales receipts tax though, which isn't so biting as a city tax...yet don't go out and buy junk.
You can have a nice trailer and live off the power grid, wind and sun power is really coming into its own, and New Mexico leads in that field.

Europe? Been there, have relatives there only good for visiting. Florida? white trash and more humid than Ohio...New Mexico is like living in a foreign country at times, but never leaving the States.

Cities? Las Cruces, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos, Alamogordo, Ruidoso, Roswell, Clovis, Portales, Farmington, Truth or Consequences, and more. Retired people don't need or ask for much but easy living, and a lot of retirees move to New Mexico

texanweazel might know what I'm talkin about...Texas is next door...practically a country unto itself!!!

Last edited by newmex; 01-08-2008 at 08:51 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 04:40 AM

good ideas , im off for fla friday Im going to check it out , I lived in fl in 1970 and i remember the humidity in summer..whew ! the price is right for fl at this time but I will always be looking for new ideas so keep them coming!

Old 01-09-2008, 06:37 AM

13 posts, read 39,074 times
I would not move further east than Oklahoma, the mid-west because of the weather. Weather is an important factor because it effects our daily living. Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado (snowy winters begin early at high altitudes) have wonderful weather. Humidity like southern states have is not a factor, nor hurricanes, tornados, flooding, etc. You can count on the sun more than 300+ days a year. Arizona has been has hot as 126 degrees, I lived there that day... I woke up to 2 feet of snow in March in Colorado, and New Mexico is practically perfect... the weather that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland