Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 10,339 times

Advertisements

Forgive my naivety here - I am a small-town white girl planning to move upstate. Coming from a very small poor, "redneck" college town with an over-powering elderly population and nothing to do and 30 minutes from any real civilization, I feel any place is better than here - but I have no experience with "black neighborhoods".

I see a rental near the highway and close to the chain store where my partner can transfer to, that I am in love with, but it is in the infamous Maple Heights. I've been looking around for about a month and its the best match for the house I have found for our needs. I can only afford 600 a month for rent currently while paying back college debt, but cannot move into an apartment, so moving to nicer neighborhoods seems a fallacy anyway.

Did some skimming and all I see is 'white flight' and declining and don't go there etcetc.. Is 68% black/28% white demographic going to be particularly uncomfortable? The crime rate and schools and such aren't promising from statistics also, but we don't have kids and I work from home so the house won't be empty often. What kind of "unsafe" is it (robberies, violent crime, domestic crime)?

It seems close enough to everything for us, and we have friends in Garfield and Cleveland heights.

Is it really that bad?

We are just looking for somewhere to live for 4-5 years while we work on our careers and save money to go back to school...

Some advice would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 06:14 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,835,105 times
Why can't you move into an apartment?

Old 05-11-2015, 06:54 AM

133 posts, read 175,837 times
Maple Heights is going downhill fast....

Old 05-11-2015, 03:31 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
You can find something better for $600. I personally would not consider maple Hts.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:56 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,669 times
Known people that have lived in Maple Heights. One having been hit in the face with a gun and robbed.

And that happens in city neighborhoods too, but I am hard pressed to think of redeeming qualities for Maple other than good access to the Interstate. Schools aren't good, no architecture, nothing historic, no interesting neighborhoods, no attractions, mediocre retail.

It wouldn't be the end of the world to live in Maple Heights as there are much, much worse neighborhoods in the Cleveland area. But again for $600 you could probably do better. You could probably live in Cleveland Heights or Garfield Heights, for that matter.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 10,339 times
I can muster 700 is the place is nice enough, looking around Brooklyn. Thanks guys!

Old 05-11-2015, 09:28 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,197 times
Why not move to Cleveland Heights?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:01 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,835,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
Why not move to Cleveland Heights?
This.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:09 PM

133 posts, read 175,837 times
Or even better, why not Ohio City, Tremont, or Gordon Sq?

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/d...ley050415.aspx

You may even qualify for one of the affordable units. These have skyline and lake views. They are right by Happy Dogs and the rest of Gordon Sq - The hottest neighborhood in Cleveland.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:06 AM

11 posts, read 24,323 times
I think you should consider moving to the city proper. The city itself is in the midst of a tremendous resurgence while many of the inner suburbs, such as Maple Heights, are declining. As Clevelandrocks stated, Ohio City/Gordon Square/Tremont on the west side are all growing with plenty to do. Along the river downtown you have the Warehouse District. There is tremendous growth between public square downtown through Playhouse Square and the Cleveland State campus, and then also the University Circle area. All these areas are viable with public transportation, safe/walkable neighborhoods, grocery stores,local shopping, etc; although I suspect the west side city neighborhoods such as Ohio City/Gordon Square and Tremont will be the most affordable - while the downtown/east side neighborhoods will offer the best access to cultural amenities at a slightly higher cost. Regardless, you can't go wrong with Cleveland city living now - and it's only getting better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland