Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 07:03 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,148,078 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'll have time Sat., the day before the Bengals/Browns game, to show my wife around CLE. I was there in July, but figured there might be other places to see in Dec- contrast with weather.

Last summer I hit:
Lakeview Cemetery
CLE HTS (will show her Coventry area)
Shaker Farmer's Market
Westside Market
Lakewood
R. River
Downtown
Heinens (sp). Have to show her this place!

We are staying at the Ritz on Euclid.

We've done the tourist stuff over the years.

If you know of anything that weekend, or something seasonal, pls. share. My mom said there is a downtown trolley that takes you around downtown?

I'd like to add Playhouse Sq. She is into reading so a library? Places to go on nice walks? We've been to Chagrin Res., but that is about the only Metropark thus far.

Thanks- Rob

This visit is three parts:
Visit cousins
See Browns game
SELL WIFE ON CLE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 08:07 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,572 times
I'm not sure if you're including the Botanical Garden in with touristy things, but I'd do that with maybe the art museum and Univesity Circle (lunch). Then Playhouse Square (a show if possible) and dinner downtown.

Edit: Didn't realize it's December. Was thinking more fall/late fall. Meh, still might be a good option. Can't really think of any reading-specific options.

Last edited by L2DB; 10-21-2015 at 08:16 AM..

Old 10-21-2015, 09:01 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
If she's into books and reading, Cleveland public library downtown is great. Maybe also check out loganberry books on larchmere, which is my favorite book store in town.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:26 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times
My top recommendations.

- Playhouse Square show (often holiday shows)
- Cleveland Orchestra show (often holiday shows)
- Cleveland Museum of Art FREE!
- "A Christmas Story" House and Museum
- Cleveland Public Library downtown
- See the Christmas lights Downtown

If I had to pick one of the above, it'd be a holiday show at Playhouse

You could stay at the metropolitan connected to Heinen's this time around.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:55 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
If you're selling her on the city, then definitely sell her on the types of neighborhoods in which you'd want to live. A more "suburban" suburb? Inner City Neighborhood, small town, style of house? What specifically does she enjoy in terms of food activities, etc?

There is something called Lolly the Trolley, that is free yes. So if you can find it and it's running, that might be a fun way to see an overview of things.

Since you're coming at Christmas, everything is going to be very "Christmassy", and if she's into that, that might be fun stuff to do. Cleveland Botanical Garden is likely to still be lit up for Christmas. Also worthwhile to check out the Rockefeller Park Greenhouse, as well as the Christmas Light Display at Nela Park, world headquarters for GE Lighting (It's a good show, they're the ones responsible for lighting at the White House.)

Another Christmassy and nice place or so I've heard is Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens (estate of Frank Seiberling, Goodyear Tires).

Completely agree with everyone else about a Orchestra Christmas Concert, or perhaps seeing A Christmas Carol, or A Christmas Story, or The Nutcracker at Playhouse Square? You'll want to check the schedule to confirm.

Have you visited yet during the winter? If not, and especially if there is some snow on the ground, it is a perfect time to see the beauty of winter in a new light. Edgewater Park overlooking Lake Erie can be very beautiful at this time, as can Cuyahoga Valley National Park (particularly Brandywine Falls and the Ledges hike, and Chapin Forest (which may have XC skiing, weather permitting). There is also the chalet toboggan run, at Mill Stream Reservation on the West Side, which could be a great option. There are too many metroparks and hikes to name, but those are a few of the better ones. It's staggering how many different landscapes and variance there is (there are 3 national scenic byways within the metro area, if you'd prefer to stay in your car.

You'll want to dip into places that have warm beverages after being out in the cold. Phoenix Coffee, Rising Star, and Pour (around the city) are excellent coffee stops, and Algebra Tea House is excellent for Tea, and I have heard that the Mexican Hot Chocolate at Civilization is wonderful as well. Shoot, even a Christmas Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Company would warm you right up.

Even a lot of the local malls will have nice lighting displays and such (Crocker Park, Tower City, Legacy Village/Beachwood, etc.), and the neighborhoods will likely have something similar as well. I remember hearing (and seeing) Chagrin Falls and Medina DT's especially nice at this time of year. Those two have charm in DROVES. Chagrin Falls is so quaint, New England style Americana, that Toy Story was set there, and that the author of Calvin and Hobbes, Bill Watterson was from there. I'm not completely sure on this, but I have at least heard that Walt Disney visited both Chagrin Falls/Medina and spent some time in them, and that they were a big inspiration for his design of Main Street USA at the parks. Also in Medina, there is a thing called Castle Noel that exists, and it apparently is a fantastic collection of Christmas movie memorabilia (one major example is the official Buddy the Elf costume from Elf, but there are other major props there.)

There is a Polar Express train ride along the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad within the park, but I don't know just how Christmassy you are, and it is an expensive proposition if you aren't super interested in that stuff/have younger kids that are.

Cleveland Public Library is fantastic. It's one of the five largest municipal libraries in the country I believe. Check out the 1st and third floor of the older section, then check out the 1st and 6th floor of the newer section, plus it's stairwell. Cleveland has independent bookstores all around which I think are pretty good, but I'm biased.

Beyond Bill Watterson, Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel (the authors of Superman) are from Cleveland, as is poet Langston Hughes. I don't know if there are any specific exhibits or museums related to them in the area though.

CMA is incredibly worthwhile if you haven't yet seen it. One of the Big 5 Comprehensive Art Museums in the US, and as other posters have mentioned, free. I saw when I was last there that they are planning to do an Monet exhibit at that time, and will have the entire Water Lillies piece (with the MOMA panels included) in one spot together.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you said you only have a day/two. Even with that being said, I would hit up some parts of the suburbs as well. Perhaps check out the Whipps Ledges at Hinckley Reservation, Downtown Medina, South Park Mall (nothing special, but gives idea of typical suburb in area), and Mill Stream Run toboggan chutes earlier in the day, before heading downtown to do some of the things other posters have mentioned in the later part of the day. The food at Great Lakes Brewing Company is fantastic also.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:31 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,148,078 times
Awesome!

Thanks, all!

Old 10-25-2015, 12:38 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Seats are still available for Handel's Messiah at Severance Hall on Dec. 5. This is an exceptional cultural experience. Take the Healthline bus rapid from Tower City, where the Ritz is located, to Severance Hall.

http://www.clevelandorchestra.com/15...ceNumber=13250

Staying at the Ritz, it's an easy indoor walk to the rail transit center. Visit Shaker Square and have a meal at Fire, EDWIN's or the Balaton. Take the Red Line to the West 25th St. station to visit the West Side Market and the Market District. Take the Red Line east to Little Italy/University Circle.

If you'll have a rental car, check out Stan Hywet Hall in Akron, fantastic during the holidays. Longer drives might include Malabar Farm for the Big House and Ohio Amish Country.

See the Cleveland "Tips" and "Day Trips" travel articles in the right margin here. In the Cleveland Tips article, see the Public Transportation link and check out the free bus trolleys downtown.

Cleveland Forum, Travel Discussion for Cleveland, Ohio - TripAdvisor

Read through the above forum. E.g.:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...land_Ohio.html

Certainly visit the Terminal Tower observation deck in Tower City (bring binoculars).

Try to visit PlayhouseSquare, especially IMO the Allen or Hanna Theatres, which are exceptional performance spaces with no bad seats.

http://www.playhousesquare.org/events/index/60

See post 22 here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...2015-Ohio.html

Near Heinen's, check out the Fifth St. Arcades.

http://www.5thstreetarcades.com/

Keep in mind that both the Garfield Monument and Wade Chapel at Lake View will be closed.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum is an option. Castle Noel in Medina might be fun, and Medina has among the most charming public squares in the Western Reserve, well decorated for Christmas with beautiful evening lighting.

http://castlenoel.com/

Nela Park Christmas lights also are great.

Pray for good weather and not a "lake effect" blizzard.

Last edited by WRnative; 10-25-2015 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland