Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 11:09 AM

155 posts, read 234,019 times

Advertisements

How's the commute to Akron? I'm transferring with my company and they are located around the intersection of Merriman Rd and Weathervane Lane.

I'm Planning on staying in Broadview Heights area since my wife doesn't have a job yet but will likely work in the Cleveland area (who knows where but Solon, Independence, Downtown Cleveland are just some of the possible locations where she could work). It's hard to pick an area since we don't know exactly where but from my research this seems to be a good central location. Any other suggestions welcome.

What's the estimated commute time and when does rush hour start? Google tells me 28 minutes, but in my experience google often overestimates so I'm hoping less.

Oh yeah another thing, are the roads/highways in Cleveland/Akron filled cops doing radar/speed traps? Where I'm at now I've gotten used to not accounting for them but I'll need to be careful until I learn the lay of the land. Let me know if there are any speed traps I should be worry of. Lastly, please tell me there are no speed cameras, I hate those things! Where I'm originally from they are all over the place around schools, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by OpenMind11; 02-18-2016 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 11:49 AM

96 posts, read 105,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenMind11 View Post
How's the commute to Akron? I'm transferring with my company and they are located around the intersection of Merriman Rd and Weathervane Lane.

I'm Planning on staying in Broadview Heights area since my wife doesn't have a job yet but will likely work in the Cleveland area (who knows where but Solon, Independence, Downtown Cleveland are just some of the possible locations where she could work). It's hard to pick an area since we don't know exactly where but from my research this seems to be a good central location. Any other suggestions welcome.

What's the estimated commute time and when does rush hour start? Google tells me 28 minutes, but in my experience google often overestimates so I'm hoping less.

Oh yeah another thing, are the roads/highways in Cleveland/Akron filled cops doing radar/speed traps? Where I'm at now I've gotten used to not accounting for them but I'll need to be careful until I learn the lay of the land. Let me know if there are any speed traps I should be worry of. Lastly, please tell me there are no speed cameras, I hate those things! Where I'm originally from they are all over the place around schools, etc.

Thanks!
I lived in Broadview Heights a few years ago, and there were tons of cops that sat on 77 in the Broadview Heights/Brecksville area. It'll be nice that 77 is right there and you can take that all the way to Akron. As far as speed cameras go, I don't think they're turned on anymore (for Cleveland that is). I know they're still setupeverywhere, but I believe they had to turn them off. When I lived in Broadview Heights, I think rush hour in the morning started around 8am or so and was pretty busy until about 9:30ish, but it's been a while and I live on the 71 side now, so hopefully someone else can give more clarification on that. Not sure what it would be like if you're driving to the Akron area.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHdanIO View Post
I lived in Broadview Heights a few years ago, and there were tons of cops that sat on 77 in the Broadview Heights/Brecksville area. It'll be nice that 77 is right there and you can take that all the way to Akron. As far as speed cameras go, I don't think they're turned on anymore (for Cleveland that is). I know they're still setupeverywhere, but I believe they had to turn them off. When I lived in Broadview Heights, I think rush hour in the morning started around 8am or so and was pretty busy until about 9:30ish, but it's been a while and I live on the 71 side now, so hopefully someone else can give more clarification on that. Not sure what it would be like if you're driving to the Akron area.
Thanks for the info, I'll probably be getting to work somewhere between 7-8 so it'll be nice to avoid the traffic. I forgot to ask, does the Cleveland area have red light cameras?

How'd you like living in Broadview Heights? We're going to check the area out when we get into town but it seems nice enough from a distance. We don't have much choice so will have to pick a place to live in a couple days. Sagamore Hills is also on the short list, it appears to be central as well, but it the apartments in the area are more expensive--need to get on the ground to see if its worth it.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:09 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:

Thanks!
There also are many jobs along the I-271 corridor, especially corporate jobs, so this thread may be of interest. The following thread is much more relevant for Solon.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...on-mentor.html

Broadview Hts. is a good location. Here's a thread for the area.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...elocation.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...l-get-job.html

Ohio has some of the strictest traffic enforcement in the U.S. Both the Ohio State Highway Patrol and local police departments patrol freeways, interstates and other major routes. My best advice is to use cruise control and stay within five mph of the speed limit.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:35 PM

Good to know, thanks for the tips. So they pull over regularly for 10 over? Yikes!

That'll be an adjustment!

Old 02-18-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I'll probably be getting to work somewhere between 7-8 so it'll be nice to avoid the traffic. I forgot to ask, does the Cleveland area have red light cameras?

How'd you like living in Broadview Heights? We're going to check the area out when we get into town but it seems nice enough from a distance. We don't have much choice so will have to pick a place to live in a couple days. Sagamore Hills is also on the short list, it appears to be central as well, but it the apartments in the area are more expensive--need to get on the ground to see if its worth it.
Don't quote me on the rush hour time lol. It's been a while since I lived on the 77 side. I think the Cleveland area HAS the red light cameras, but they can't use them anymore.
Cleveland voters kick out traffic, speed cameras

Old 02-18-2016, 12:47 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Good to know, thanks for the tips. So they pull over regularly for 10 over? Yikes!

That'll be an adjustment!
10 over becomes more automatic, especially outside of traffic. 5 over should be safe.

The first couple of drives, be careful. Speeds can change rapidly and be missed, creating a danger using cruise control. A good GPS may be helpful in this regard.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:51 PM

Do you use the "Waze" app? It seems like it's becoming more and more popular and it'll notify you where speed traps are if other people report them (which a majority of the time it seems they do).

Old 02-18-2016, 01:53 PM

No, I don't have a dataplan, I'm cheap. I have a GPS though that has the speed limits so that'll come in handy.

I'll certainly be cautious til I get to know the area. Sounds like driving in Virginia, they don't joke about speeding over there either.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:37 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,230 times
It's not CA! I get passed going 75 in a 65 and no tickets. Ohio..I always go the limit or just under. I'm older now at 46 and just hit cruise control, take off my shoes, and enjoy scenery! In Ohio, you get some great trees and greenery. If you leave early as planned, no need to rush. You do not want to hit something at 75, anyway. That may end up worse than getting to work at traveling 55.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland