Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:03 AM

70 posts, read 114,973 times

Advertisements

Hello Cleveland!

I recently purchased a home in University Heights and would love to take advantage of the rapid Friday for an Indians game; however, my coworker recently told me about a bad experience he had on the rapid a few weeks ago. He's a male, so as a young female, if I hear that he is cautious about it, it makes me even more nervous. Are there any particular times or lines I should avoid? I am fairly inexperience with metro travel, if that is the correct term. The only time I've used similar train systems was two weeks in Europe.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 09:09 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrheasley View Post
Hello Cleveland!

I recently purchased a home in University Heights and would love to take advantage of the rapid Friday for an Indians game; however, my coworker recently told me about a bad experience he had on the rapid a few weeks ago. He's a male, so as a young female, if I hear that he is cautious about it, it makes me even more nervous. Are there any particular times or lines I should avoid? I am fairly inexperience with metro travel, if that is the correct term. The only time I've used similar train systems was two weeks in Europe.

Thanks!
There is really nothing to worry about.

I used to work at every Indians game. Went down at about 3:30 and back at about 10:30 or 11 (sometimes later, depending on length of the game) to the Courtland Blvd Green Line stop in 2012. I did this for about 65 games. I not once had any "bad experience" on the rapid. Used it about 5 times last weekend too. Zero problems. No problems for me, no problems for anyone else on the train.

Are there sometimes weird people/drug addicts on public transit? Yep. I see that all the time here in Boston. It happens in NYC, Philly, DC, and sure, Cleveland too.

The rapid is actually much much more comfortable than typical urban transit. Definitely more comfortable than the MBTA in Boston, no question about it.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:50 PM

70 posts, read 114,973 times
That's very reassuring! I was really surprised by my coworker's story. I've heard the rapid mentioned MANY times here on city-data and assumed it was a fairly popular mode of transportation. I've never heard anything negative about it on here.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
So what was your friend's bad experience? I hope it wasn't too bad. I have taken the Red Line quite a few times since I've been living in Cleveland (2 years) and have not had anything out of the ordinary happen. Now if you want to talk about my experiences on the Chicago subway system........

You know the old saying, "Stuff happens." And it can happen anywhere.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:42 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
If there is an Indians game that you're going to, odds are good that there will be quite a few others taking the Rapid down for the Tribe as well. I've always been reassured by that.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:47 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,042,314 times
Never had a bad experience on the Cleveland rapid. Worst mass-transit experience for me was on the blue line in Chicago, where I've seen glazed-eye junkies roaming coach to coach (going across the couplings) while yelling....at something.

If you're going to an Indians game, and they have fireworks, and you like to drink after the game, like me, then remember the rapid shuts down at midnight. Then its uber.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:33 PM

538 posts, read 658,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Never had a bad experience on the Cleveland rapid. Worst mass-transit experience for me was on the blue line in Chicago, where I've seen glazed-eye junkies roaming coach to coach (going across the couplings) while yelling....at something.

If you're going to an Indians game, and they have fireworks, and you like to drink after the game, like me, then remember the rapid shuts down at midnight. Then its uber.
Red Line shuts down at 12:30 I thought? And don't they run extra service after Indians games?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:39 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Red Line shuts down at 12:30 I thought? And don't they run extra service after Indians games?
Last rapid is an hour after games end if the game goes long. At least that's how it was when I worked there.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:54 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
RTA says service is guaranteed for 90 minutes after the game.

Definitely check out the walkway from Tower City to the Q/Progressive Field.

Sports Teams | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

Old 05-26-2016, 11:02 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrheasley View Post
Hello Cleveland!

Thanks!
Welcome to Cleveland ... Would you be walking or driving from your new home in University Heights? If you're walking, depending what part of UH you're coming from, you could walk to Courtland. Just be aware if you're driving, there is no free parking at Courtland, but there is 1-stop further out a Warrensville (but note, it is only accessible from the westbound lanes from Warrensville Center road. I guess you can park along the street on Courtland if available. It used to be, though, that Shaker would ticket, and in some instances tow, cars parked after certain hours like midnight or 1p-- I'm not sure whether that's still the place, but you may want to buzz Shaker's Streets Dept to make sure if you want to try this option.

I agree with the above posters: the rapid is fine. The Green Line tends to be faster than the Blue Line along Van Aken because there is less density (more mansions) along Shaker Blvd where the Green Line runs, as opposed to Van Aken, which has generally smaller homes and a number of apartment buildings. A number of John Carroll students use the Green Line rapid as well. It's very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland