Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:08 PM

24 posts, read 78,737 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Portland, OR to Cleveland in August and am wanting some local perspectives. I'll be attending Cleveland State Law. We are a family of 4-my husband, our 12 yo son and 9 yo daughter. We're looking for a safe neighborhood on a major bus or rta line as we are a one car family. We need to be in an affordable neighborhood (less than $800 or $850 a month for 3 bdr) that is also close to CSU--within 4 miles at the most.

Any suggestions? Any neighborhood recommendations?

Any suggestions on places to avoid entirely?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 01:31 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
1) Lakewood. A direct, express bus line to Cleveland down Clifton Blvd. You would be about 7 miles, but that bus line is great-express from this inner ring suburb to CSU- the 55x (Timetables, Maps & Schedules | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority ) Most family folks like the west end of Lakewood around Lake ave or Clifton Blvd. You are in a pretty tight price range, but it could be do-able. There are shops, parks and restaurants throughout Lakewood. It has older, charming housing. It has more amenities with in walking distance than the next ones below.

2) Old Brooklyn (Cleveland neighborhood)-can be hit or miss- can be quiet and family oriented or more transient. The 51X has a direct CSU bus line as well. Since you want a quiet family neighborhood, you might really need to do some exploring.

3) West Park (Cleveland neighborhood)-you may be able to find some areas near the red line. You would go to tower city and transfer to the free trolley to go to CSU-or could walk on a nice day. I am less sure about the bus service around there. This is a quiet, cute area with affordable housing.It is more suburban than urban in character. a lot of police and fire people live there.

here is a site to poke around Cleveland neighborhoods (it does not have the burbs).
Neighborhood Link

Other areas such as Shaker and Cleveland Heights are pretty close, but do not have direct RTA access to CSU and involve transfers. Plus they are more expensive. I think CSU students pay $25 a semester for an unlimited bus pass-beats the $50 or so a month for parking.

I have a somewhat hard time quessing areas to be avoided as I live in the innercity so have a different thresh hold for judging that.
Good luck and welcome.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:47 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times
Lakewood around the W. 117 stop of the red line rapid train would be my recommendation as well. Good schools, close proximity, and affordable rents. The redline will take you to public square where it is only a short trolley ride down to CSU.

I will second C-gal's response.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:28 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraperez View Post
I'm moving from Portland, OR to Cleveland in August and am wanting some local perspectives. I'll be attending Cleveland State Law. We are a family of 4-my husband, our 12 yo son and 9 yo daughter. We're looking for a safe neighborhood on a major bus or rta line as we are a one car family. We need to be in an affordable neighborhood (less than $800 or $850 a month for 3 bdr) that is also close to CSU--within 4 miles at the most.

Any suggestions? Any neighborhood recommendations?

Any suggestions on places to avoid entirely?

Thanks!
A third person to recommend Lakewood.

A brand new middle school has been built, also.

Great variety of choice with your budget needs & personal needs.

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:19 PM

Clevelandgal and Costello (and others of course),

What are you opinions of Ohio City or Tremont?

Thanks

Old 02-18-2008, 07:57 PM

I love OC and Tremont (my fave hoods!) If you were w/o kids or in the stroller set I would go for it, but if you move there with the kiddos that age you are a real urban pioneer that will need to have a lot of conversations about the real world with your son and daughter. Most kids this age want to run off and play/hang out without mom and dad, and there can be some real characters in the neighborhood. I am not sure what the school plans are, but one could safety send the kids to Lakewood schools, where as OC and Tremont have some good elementary schools I am told, but things go a little south unless they go to the magnet (ie science, arts) schools. My advice in this area is not the most educated though. If I had kids in Lakewood, I would feel safe turning my responsible children loose a little unsupervised with neighborhood kids I knew, but in OC or Tremont, maybe not as much unless they were really street wise or a little older. I love seeing the suburban teenage boys from St. Ignacious (high rated Catholic Boys high school in Ohio City) negotiating the OC neighborhood with confidence, class and w/o incident.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:04 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times
Well, since you asked:

I personally love those neighborhoods. Tremont has amazing restaurants, hangouts, and gorgeous townhomes. It always has open views of both downtown and the grit of the old industrial valley--which I love! (If you ever see the opening scence of the movie "Major League", that is Tremont where the kids are playing baseball)

OC has the great old character with again great establishments. It's main attractions include the Westside Market and Great Lakes Brewery.

NOW...because of the whole family aspect, I don't know if I can recommend it. I don't want to decourage you from at least giving it a look, but it is not really "family friendly"--but, if you can make it work, you would have one treasure of a location with your move to Cleveland.

So...very mixed feelings because they are great neighborhoods, but I would not recommend because of the kids pretty much.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:15 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraperez View Post
Clevelandgal and Costello (and others of course),

What are you opinions of Ohio City or Tremont?

Thanks
Great if you didn't have kids.

You do not want your children to attend Cleveland Municipal Schools.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:53 PM

How do Cleveland schools (including Lakewood, etc.) compare to schools in the NW? Specifically Portland? I'm actually from Vancouver (2 mins across the Columbia River from PDX) so my kids go to school there but PDX has had a lot of problems with their school district--but it's starting to change. It's tough b/c no matter what we know our kiddos are going to be in for a huge culture shock--although I have been looking at a variety of the magnet programs. Hmm, lots to think about . . .

Old 02-18-2008, 10:23 PM

Lakewood and Cleveland are different school districts. I wish I had web links...In Cleveland most people with a couple pennies to rub together send their kids to private (usually Catholic schools). I think some of the elementary schools are pretty darn good. Middle not so sure. I am a huge advocate of urban living and the public schools in general, but if I looked in my heart, I would probably not send older children if I had them, to most Cleveland public schools. It breaks my heart to say that, but it is true- I could not use my child to make a statement. I would have to do a ton of research to find which ones would be good-and there are some I think-such as the magnets. I imagine some Lakewood parents send their kids to private as well, but I still think with the right parental support they would do just fine in Lakewood schools.Private schooling in general is huge here which devalues public ed even more. I remember when growing up in N.VA/DC area and having Senetor's kids in class-almost everyone went to public school. Alas not the case here. I am not sure how this all compares to PDX. The demographics of Cleveland are very different for starters. I think there is a lot of wealth living close-in in Portland whereas there is more white and/or middle class flight in Cleveland. A few knuckleheads like myself have bucked the trend and love living in the city (ie only getting a tank of gas a month, close to everything and so on). Still I am puzzled as what the heck I would do with kids...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland