Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 03:46 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,275,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
On Cleveland Heights: that's true, but to be honest, a not inconsiderable amount of Cleveland Heights is pretty bad (crime, litter, vacant houses). The worst parts of lakewood aren't anywhere near the worst parts of Cleveland Heights in my opinion.
What percentage of CH falls into that category in your opinion?

In regards to the worst parts of Lakewood, which I think are along its eastern border with Cleveland, those can be some rough areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 03:48 PM

816 posts, read 1,395,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
What percentage of CH falls into that category in your opinion?

In regards to the worst parts of Lakewood, which I think are along its eastern border with Cleveland, those can be some rough areas.
The whole portion north of Mayfield Rd, which borders East Cleveland is a bit rough. And rough and Lakewood definitely do not belong in the same sentence. Even the most eastern portion of Lakewood is nice. I'm sure there is a little crime spillover across 117th, but the actual neighborhoods are nice and well kept.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:44 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I personally don't find Lakewood's East End to be all that bad. It is relatively high crime compared to the rest of Lakewood, but the crime is not terrible in an absolute sense.

I should add the disclaimer that, since I moved back to town in September 2015, I have heard of a number of high-profile crimes in the area of such a nature that used to be unheard of here... a handful of drive-by shootings and such. There was that one a few months ago, for example, where three perps gunned down a Maple Heights man at the Shell station at West 117th and Franklin. The three perps all lived in Lakewood. But it's not like this kind of stuff is happening every week or anything like that.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:30 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
The whole portion north of Mayfield Rd, which borders East Cleveland is a bit rough.
I think that's a bit harsh, I used to live north of Mayfield near Warrensville and Monticello. It was a nice neighborhood. There are even nice neighborhoods north of Monticello. It's not all nice, there is crime, and the big issue I think that most families have is the schools. The thing I like most about the Heights (Shaker Hts and Cleveland Hts) is that it is and will always be, the coolest place in town. You don't realize how liberal and progressive it is until you live there and start to hob knob at the parties, the churches, the markets. I don't what to restart the east vs west thing, but the heights are the coolest part of the coolest side of town.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:46 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
I think that's a bit harsh, I used to live north of Mayfield near Warrensville and Monticello. It was a nice neighborhood. There are even nice neighborhoods north of Monticello. It's not all nice, there is crime, and the big issue I think that most families have is the schools. The thing I like most about the Heights (Shaker Hts and Cleveland Hts) is that it is and will always be, the coolest place in town. You don't realize how liberal and progressive it is until you live there and start to hob knob at the parties, the churches, the markets. I don't what to restart the east vs west thing, but the heights are the coolest part of the coolest side of town.
Hey, heights native here, but I have a hard time agreeing that Shaker and Cleveland Heights are cooler than ohio city, tremont, Gordon square, or lakewood. Shaker I wouldn't say is "cool" at all actually, more just "nice." Maybe because I grew up there, but I do think Cleveland heights can be a bit single minded (maybe the liberal thing). The same people have been high profile in the heights forever. I don't know again, from there so might naturally think it's more insular than other places.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:56 PM

816 posts, read 1,395,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
I'm not trying to be harsh, it's just a fact that north of Mayfield is typically viewed as the "less desirable" part of CH and it also has higher crime than the rest of the city. The part of north Coventry is pretty bad. I recently took a stroll through that little neighborhood and there was trash all over the whole neighborhood. There were some boarded, overgrown houses too. Also, there are some pockets near Noble that aren't very nice either. I know there are some nice areas north of Mayfield and I'm not saying it is all bad.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:59 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,667,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
On Cleveland Heights: that's true, but to be honest, a not inconsiderable amount of Cleveland Heights is pretty bad (crime, litter, vacant houses). The worst parts of lakewood aren't anywhere near the worst parts of Cleveland Heights in my opinion.

Why Brecksville? I can't really think of anything to do in Brecksville at all really.
I can't disagree with that, as it does have its bad parts and Lakewood is denser overall. That being said, the business district sections of Cedar Fairmount and Coventry Village feel more classically urban than anything in Lakeland IMO. Cedar Fairmount even has the rapid stop and UC right next door, and that portion and parts south, though in CH, and closer to bad areas, feels just as safe to me as anywhere in Lakewood. Lakewood having the lake is nice, but I like the topography and how densely forested CH is, almost like the floor of the Amazon in some neighborhoods there.

As per Brecksville, can't disagree there's not much to do there, but I like the idea of living in a safe quiet area where I can leave my house and walk .5 mile and be in a national park, but yet can also be as close Drive time wise to Downtown, Ohio City, UC (center of attention places), in 20 minutes, which is a shorter drive than some places within city limits. It also has the rustic New England town vibe (estd 1811) of Chagrin Falls, though of course not on that scale.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:28 AM

12 posts, read 11,770 times
Lakewood.

I love the vibe and live music at Mahall's (when it's not too crowded), the streetcar suburban architecture, the sheer number and variety of small indie restaurants, the proximity to Edgewater Park and Downtown, proximity to Rocky River Reservation, the authenticity of Birdtown, the beautiful and prominent housing near the Lake and most of all, the great mix of people.

The city just has a nice community feel.

It's not perfect, of course. Eastern border is looking a bit worn out, it needs tlc but I wouldn't call it unsafe. There is very little public access to the Lake, unfortunately. Idiots there let McDonalds tear down the movie theater...

Anyhow, lots of upside still. I currently live in California as a renter. I still own a house in Lakewood that I am not selling! I've become too attached to Cleveland to ever really leave.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:19 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,010 times
Scott - Where in CA? I'm in SB, but love CLE- will be there in two weeks. I'm glad so many are pro Lakewood because after two years of research, that's still my top place. Going to take my wife around and on Sunday, hope to get in an open house or two.

Maybe we should start a CLE support group for those in CA. HA

Old 01-18-2017, 01:47 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,239,063 times
If you have money then Shaker Heights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland