Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2017, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 8,560 times

Advertisements

Were looking to move closer to Cleveland, from Canton. One house we like is in an area I'm unsure about. It's north of Snow rd, close to a not so hot looking appartment complex Midtown towers. There are other spots in Parma that we are totally comfortable with but I don't want to find out later we picked a spot within Parma that isn't very good.

I know I've heard of people talk about specific areas being less desirable but can't find those comments now.

Where are the places you'd avoid living if possible?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 09:32 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,372,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trombolii View Post
Were looking to move closer to Cleveland, from Canton. One house we like is in an area I'm unsure about. It's north of Snow rd, close to a not so hot looking appartment complex Midtown towers. There are other spots in Parma that we are totally comfortable with but I don't want to find out later we picked a spot within Parma that isn't very good.

I know I've heard of people talk about specific areas being less desirable but can't find those comments now.

TIA
Parma's less desirable neighborhoods are near Chevy blvd and snow rd or Chevy blvd and brookpark rd. because its lower class, low income government housing and tends to have some crime issues.. However all Parma has low violent crime.
Imo the side streets/neighborhoods along state rd (Ukrainian village) and ridge and snow area(polish village) are the best. Urban, walkable, good public transportation and safe.
The southern part of parma (pleasant valley rd) is typical suburban and newer but still has good public transportation.
The midtown apartment complex has had problems over the yrs. But the side streets/neighborhoods surrounding it are fine.
I have owned a couple of houses in parma and know the area well if you have any further questions.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:40 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Imo the side streets/neighborhoods along state rd (Ukrainian village) and ridge and snow area(polish village) are the best. Urban, walkable, good public transportation and safe.
Yesterday I read an essay about Ukrainian Village in a book I checked out from the library titled "Cleveland Neighborhood Guidebook" (edited by the staff of Belt Magazine). The author painted a very compelling picture of the neighborhood which gave the lie to the notion (shared by many) that Parma is "boring". I've never really explored that area on foot but now I want to do so based on what I read.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:40 PM

840 posts, read 759,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Yesterday I read an essay about Ukrainian Village in a book I checked out from the library titled "Cleveland Neighborhood Guidebook" (edited by the staff of Belt Magazine). The author painted a very compelling picture of the neighborhood which gave the lie to the notion (shared by many) that Parma is "boring". I've never really explored that area on foot but now I want to do so based on what I read.
Please give us a report once you've explored!

Old 05-17-2017, 09:15 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trombolii View Post

TIA
The area north of Snow is largely fine. Midtown Towers are section 8, but little crime comes from them (lower income <> criminal). The worst area of Parma is its NW corner, but even it isn't really that bad. The NE corner is adjacent to Seven Hills, Brooklyn Heights and the Old Brooklyn neighborhood of Cleveland. These are all safe and decent areas. The adjacent areas of Parma also have some nice little ethnic shops and bakeries. By and large, Parma is very low crime. The Parma police force is also notorious for strict enforcement.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:08 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
This? The Opposite of Cool: Parma’s Ukrainian Village | Belt Magazine | Dispatches From The Rust Belt

I too have been somewhat interested in checking it out, but always forget about it. I think that's part of why people like it.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:22 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This? The Opposite of Cool: Parma’s Ukrainian Village | Belt Magazine | Dispatches From The Rust Belt

I too have been somewhat interested in checking it out, but always forget about it. I think that's part of why people like it.
Yep... that's the one.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:26 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,372,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

Try a piece of baked kielbasa at State Road Meats. Then up a few blocks is AC meats on the East side of the street there's a small brick building with the driveway and parking in the back. Buy a pound of the smoked sausage or a small smoked ham.
Also on the same side of the street up a few blocks is the Liev market. Definitely try the garlic ham, and they have some of the best small fresh rolls I've ever had. There are a bunch of cool stores like that and some bakeries. And if you happen to go in and catch one of the parents that speak broken English don't worry one of the kids are usually around to translate. LOL
State Road is my favorite Street in Parma . Besides all of the Eastern European and Ukrainian stores there is usually a bar every few blocks with a church and pizza joint mixed in. Definitely worth a short drive from downtown, Tremont, or Ohio City to explore for a few hours. 5minutes from the zoo also!
It's like Fleet Avenue used to be in Slavic Village

Last edited by 1watertiger; 05-18-2017 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 05-18-2017, 04:44 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Try a piece of baked kielbasa at State Road Meats. Then up a few blocks is AC meats on the East side of the street there's a small brick building with the driveway and parking in the back. Buy a pound of the smoked sausage or a small smoked ham.
Also on the same side of the street up a few blocks is the Liev market. Definitely try the garlic ham, and they have some of the best small fresh rolls I've ever had. There are a bunch of cool stores like that and some bakeries. And if you happen to go in and catch one of the parents that speak broken English don't worry one of the kids are usually around to translate. LOL
State Road is my favorite Street in Parma . Besides all of the Eastern European and Ukrainian stores there is usually a bar every few blocks with a church and pizza joint mixed in. Definitely worth a short drive from downtown, Tremont, or Ohio City to explore for a few hours. 5minutes from the zoo also!
It's like Fleet Avenue used to be in Slavic Village
I'm gonna have to do this thanks for the tips. I wish I could have experienced Slavic village before it went downhill, this sounds like a pretty good replacement though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland