Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 10:03 PM

49 posts, read 179,466 times

Advertisements

Hello, fellow Clevelanders. I live in Las Vegas, NV. and desperately need a vacation away from here. Going to Cedar Point has been on my bucket list for a long time, and I've now started the process of booking this vacation. I have a few questions, however, this pertains to Sandusky. I don't see a sub-forum for that city so I figured I posts here, so please forgive my ignorance.

Here's basically what I've narrowed down. My vacation will be in mid July from Thur to Sun. We'll be flying into Cleveland. We'll be visiting the park Thur, Fri and the water park on Sat. Coming back home on Sunday.

- Any good recommendations for hotel stay for around $100-120 a night (prefer less) in the Sandusky area? I see several but I'm not familiar with the area at all or if it will matter for that price range I seek.

- We'll be renting a car at the Cleveland Airport. Is it better to just uber from hotel to park or will it be the same if we drive and pay for parking at the park?

- Is it worth it paying extra for the "fast lane plus" ticket for $95 per day. Or does it get so crowded that it doesn't really make a difference?

- All day dining at park - $31.99. Yay or Nay? Food quality good/worth it? Comes with bottomless drinks?

- Any good local bars/pubs/lounges in Sandusky for when the evening comes around. After going to the park all day we're planning on a few drinks at night.

- Any recommendations for restaurants popular with the locals? Is there any regional cuisine in this area? Not necessarily looking into national food chains since we have pretty much everything in LV. Any local favorites recommended would be greatly appreciated.

- Any tips, tricks or vacation ideas in the Sandusky/Cleveland area or for Cedar Point I should be looking into would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:02 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Your desired room rate likely will be tough to find for good lodging near Cedar Point during the season.

Perhaps read through or post your question in the Sandusky forum at tripadvisor.com. See post 2 here:

Family trip to Sandusky

Also, check out the nearby Lake Erie islands here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Day.Trips.html

Read through the travel reports that included Cedar Point in the first thread in this forum.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...i265-Ohio.html

Old 05-17-2017, 11:56 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,243,321 times
If you can swing it, I'd definitely spend a day up at Put-in-Bay on South Bass Island...the town is a bit like Key West in the Midwest...lots of great watering holes...and some high quality restaraunts...you can only reach it by boat...the Miller Ferry or the Jet Express are the 2 main ways to get there.

Not sure the rate, but they recently redid Hotel Breakers, which is right on the beach next to Cedar Point.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:22 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,148,078 times
I took my kids to Kelly's Island and they loved cruising around on a golf cart for a couple of hours.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:29 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,705 times
Cedar Point opens up at 10AM so you have plenty of time to driver there - point being you don't need to stay too close to Sandusky, in fact you could stay anywhere on the West Side.

My strategy with Cedar point is to pick a M/T/W/Th week day that has "marginal" weather. This reduces the crowd. Then you hope for the best in terms of rides staying open. Get there right when the park opens at 10AM and make a sprint for Raptor or Millenium. Then do Maverick, Gemini, Top Thrill Dragster, Magnum, Gatekeeper. Once you get those out of the way, you can then work through the other rides without the worry of big lines.

I personally think it does not make sense to get the early pass (9:00AM entry) or the fast lane plus, but if money is no object, then do it.

Also, If possible, spend a day on Middle Bass Island (Put In Bay) as was suggested earlier. Good family fun.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:45 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
We went last year. Cedar point had been on my bucket list for years.
Wish I had gone sooner as I know cannot go on rides
But my teenage sons loved it.

We splurged and stayed on site. Top floor ....expensive but free meals, early park admission, convenience
Once in a lifetime thing since we live in Florida
But I wish we could go again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland