Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 09:11 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times

Advertisements

I sure hope Cleveland annexes EC and I hope CLE City Council wasn't so p.o.'d by EC council's foolish rejection of terms (in a move to maintain control) a few years ago, that the CLE council won't revisit annexation in the near future. It really has to happen. EC clearly is beyond running itself properly. There was some hope when the suburb elected smart, talented Gary Norton, Jr. as mayor -- a man who has a city-planning background and who, at least, got the townhomes at Euclid & Lakeside built. But they recalled him for some petty, stupid- schidt and are right back at Square One in terms of ineptitude, making Cleveland annexation critical.

I for one would hope the remaining old apartment structures could be saved. Most are beautiful and high quality design, and even include a number of terrace row apts. Way too many have been lost and destroyed so far-- ie: Eddy Road btw Euclid and Hayden (near the Rapid tracks) was once lined with rows of handsome 6-unit red-brick walk-up apts on both sides of the street -- all are gone, now; just vast empty lots -- very sad. We only need look north (west) to Detroit to see how seemingly completely dilapidated, condemned old houses and apts and be bought back to life quite spectacularly. I wouldn't just run through with a wrecking ball as 216 suggests....

Also I agree that a Metroparks takeover of Forest Hills park is a great idea. It is tightly-run organization that enhances every public property it touches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 08:13 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Annexation seems to be the only reasonable move towards improving East Cleveland whether through becoming part of Cleveland or a larger city-county consolidation. A growing and prosperous University Circle is a potentially great stabilizing force for the area, but East Cleveland needs to have resources and larger regional planning in order to make use of such to be turned around.

Saving older structures is a lot about how much people value such in relation to how much work it takes to rehabilitate. A better functioning city government with more resources can ostensibly apply for more funding either through private foundations or state and federal programs in order to tip that balance towards doing more restoration, even if it’s merely keeping and updating a facade while the interior is mostly reworked. East Cleveland with most of its historic structures demolished instead of rehabilitated isn’t going to be much of an attractant for such funding nor would it be very appealing to potential new residents.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:07 PM

12 posts, read 11,531 times
Everyone here is absolutely correct that the Metroparks needs to take over Forest Hill Park, in order for it to have any chance of moving forward. This is the conclusion that I have come to based on my experiences a few years ago of trying to get involved with helping to improve things in Forest Hill Park, and since becoming involved with the Metroparks, a top-notch, extremely well-run organization that does a good job with everything they touch.

After spending many hours learning about the fascinating history of Forest Hill Park (once arguably the favorite property of the richest person in American history, and later designed as a park that was supposed to be Cleveland's version of NYC Central Park) + exploring all around its nooks and crannies, I became inspired with some ways to help the park, and would have been willing to volunteer a huge amount of time and energy towards that end. However, I was astonished by the harshly negative reaction I got from the city of East Cleveland, as well as the so-called "volunteer organization" of Forest Hill Park, and decided it wasn't worth it to stress myself + have to fight them just to find some way that I could be of service to the park.

I have heard of several other people with experiences similar to mine. The city of East Cleveland is completely broke, and the volunteer group is really just 2 grouchy older men who shun outsiders + do next-to-nothing in the way of making improvements- or even just maintaining- the park. Nothing is going to get better there as long as the city and this group are the ones overseeing the park.

But I still felt compelled to advocate for the park in some way, since it breaks my heart to watch it only continue to deteriorate. So, at the end of last year, I went to a meeting of the Metroparks Board of Directors, and gave public comments in front of the CEO and all the other bigwigs, just making sure that they were completely aware of Forest Hill Park and its significant history, as well as the current state of death-by-neglect (with crumbling historical structures, etc.). Hopefully it's something that they might consider, if at all possible.

Take a walk around Forest Hill Park, and see for yourself the embarrassing condition that it's in. Consider that this used to be the estate where John D. Rockefeller spent some of the best years of his life, and the park was originally intended to be something that should be on par now with Edgewater Park and Wade Oval. And then, if you're so inclined, please call or write the Metroparks, because I believe they are the only hope that Forest Hill Park might have.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:53 AM

3,414 posts, read 5,122,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestHillian View Post
Everyone here is absolutely correct that the Metroparks needs to take over Forest Hill Park, in order for it to have any chance of moving forward. This is the conclusion that I have come to based on my experiences a few years ago of trying to get involved with helping to improve things in Forest Hill Park, and since becoming involved with the Metroparks, a top-notch, extremely well-run organization that does a good job with everything they touch.

After spending many hours learning about the fascinating history of Forest Hill Park (once arguably the favorite property of the richest person in American history, and later designed as a park that was supposed to be Cleveland's version of NYC Central Park) + exploring all around its nooks and crannies, I became inspired with some ways to help the park, and would have been willing to volunteer a huge amount of time and energy towards that end. However, I was astonished by the harshly negative reaction I got from the city of East Cleveland, as well as the so-called "volunteer organization" of Forest Hill Park, and decided it wasn't worth it to stress myself + have to fight them just to find some way that I could be of service to the park.

I have heard of several other people with experiences similar to mine. The city of East Cleveland is completely broke, and the volunteer group is really just 2 grouchy older men who shun outsiders + do next-to-nothing in the way of making improvements- or even just maintaining- the park. Nothing is going to get better there as long as the city and this group are the ones overseeing the park.

But I still felt compelled to advocate for the park in some way, since it breaks my heart to watch it only continue to deteriorate. So, at the end of last year, I went to a meeting of the Metroparks Board of Directors, and gave public comments in front of the CEO and all the other bigwigs, just making sure that they were completely aware of Forest Hill Park and its significant history, as well as the current state of death-by-neglect (with crumbling historical structures, etc.). Hopefully it's something that they might consider, if at all possible.

Take a walk around Forest Hill Park, and see for yourself the embarrassing condition that it's in. Consider that this used to be the estate where John D. Rockefeller spent some of the best years of his life, and the park was originally intended to be something that should be on par now with Edgewater Park and Wade Oval. And then, if you're so inclined, please call or write the Metroparks, because I believe they are the only hope that Forest Hill Park might have.
Thank you for your post. I am completely in agreement with you that the Metroparks need to take over the park. I just wrote them an email, and I hope to continue to follow up. If you would like to talk privately about further steps we can take to make this happen, please send me a PM.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:05 PM

Thank you for your post, Cleverfield, and for following-up with the Metroparks. The more people that do, it certainly can't hurt. Don't know if it would make any difference or not, but if you contact them again, you can mention that this topic was discussed at the October 2018 Board of Directors meeting (when I gave my comments).

I really don't know about any further steps to take, beyond that I already took it to the top with the Metroparks + having more people like you continuing to bring it up with the Metroparks. In my assessment, it would be a lost cause to try to do anything else in collaboration with the city and "volunteer organization" that are currently in charge... if someone can prove me wrong, great, but I know I don't have any more time for that foolishness.

Then again, the Metroparks may not want to deal with them, either. After I spoke in front of the Board of Directors, one of the Metroparks volunteer directors (I think?) came up + told me about an experience several years ago that he had 60 volunteers ready to go for a one-off project to do a day of volunteering for whatever was needed in Forest Hill Park... and the guy from the volunteer group turned them down. (Think what 60 people could have gotten done!)

Old 08-05-2019, 02:12 PM

...and one more thing. I am pasting a link below that will get you to some pdf's for a lot more information/appreciation about Forest Hill Park's history, etc. It includes the original and updated master plans that give an idea of the original intention for the park (as well as potential that it could *still* have)! I found this all very fascinating, and spent hours and hours going through these materials... enjoy!

https://www.clevelandheights.com/325/Forest-Hill-Park

Old 08-05-2019, 02:19 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Many memories at Forest Hills. Grew up playing baseball and doing some hockey conditioning there. Would love to see it thrive.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:43 PM

Oh yeah, that's one thing I forgot to mention- but since bjimmy was talking about the baseball fields/ice rink- part of Forest Hill Park is in Cleveland Heights, too. (Technically, according to the master plan, none of that stuff should have been built- where the CH baseball fields are was supposed to be part of one big Great Meadow, in the tradition of NYC Central Park's Great Lawn- but, in my view, those are well-utilized community assets at this point, and certainly much better than how East Cleveland has kept up with their side of the park.)

People at Cleveland Heights city hall were all very cool when I had reached out to them a few years ago... so, that could be one place to start, if anyone wants to reignite efforts for improving Forest Hill Park. Although, ultimately, would have to deal with the East Cleveland side, since I think 2/3 of the park- including almost all of the significant historical and natural areas- is in EC city limits.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:33 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestHillian View Post
Oh yeah, that's one thing I forgot to mention- but since bjimmy was talking about the baseball fields/ice rink- part of Forest Hill Park is in Cleveland Heights, too. (Technically, according to the master plan, none of that stuff should have been built- where the CH baseball fields are was supposed to be part of one big Great Meadow, in the tradition of NYC Central Park's Great Lawn- but, in my view, those are well-utilized community assets at this point, and certainly much better than how East Cleveland has kept up with their side of the park.)

People at Cleveland Heights city hall were all very cool when I had reached out to them a few years ago... so, that could be one place to start, if anyone wants to reignite efforts for improving Forest Hill Park. Although, ultimately, would have to deal with the East Cleveland side, since I think 2/3 of the park- including almost all of the significant historical and natural areas- is in EC city limits.
Thanks for all your efforts, hopefully, eventually the park will be given over to the Metroparks. I think the best step in that direction will be the merger. If EC continues its free fall, the state will have little option but to strike a deal with Cleveland or Cleveland Hts(?) I sent the Metroparks an email on the subject also...who knows maybe something good happens.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:20 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
Violence needs to be addressed.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2019/08/...ast-cleveland/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland