Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 06:56 AM

1,198 posts, read 661,569 times

Advertisements

My husband is in evaluation for a double lung transplant at Cleveland Clinic. He was denied for an evaluation at the major transplant centers in Minnesota where we currently live, but has been accepted by Cleveland Clinic and is halfway through the evaluation process.

We are looking at relocating temporarily to Cleveland if he gets on the wait list for lungs, pre transplant, so that he can be near the clinic if he gets the call that there are lungs available. We also want to be near there because he will need to visit Cleveland Clinic for periodic tests every two months once listed pre transplant. We are required to stay in Cleveland at least 8 weeks post transplant, but plan to stay there longer since even after the transplant he will need to travel to Cleveland monthly for follow up tests and visits at least the first year.

We are looking at possibly May-June moving to Cleveland if all goes well with the evaluation process and he is listed. We are looking at staying in Cleveland a year or two.

I have been researching furnished apartments and houses for rent in Cleveland but I am not coming up with much. Our budget is for no more than $1800 per month rent (including utilities) since we are also maintaining utilities and other costs at our house here in Minnesota (mortgage is paid off). Is this reasonable or is it even possible to find a furnished apartment for this amount or less? Does anyone know of any good websites to look for a furnished apartment in Cleveland? Know of any companies or specific apartment complexes?

The only help we have gotten so far from his social worker at Cleveland Clinic is the Transplant House of Cleveland. There is a huge wait list for that place and not a lot of apartments, and the lowest cost is $50 per night/$1500 per month to stay in a studio apartment there. So we also need to find many other options open to us. I have also looked at extended stay hotels/suites but most are still out of our price range at $70 + per night and most have maximum stay limitation.

Our other option is to sell our house and move permanently to an unfurnished apartment in Cleveland. This is a huge undertaking though and could complicate his medical insurance some of which is tied to Minnesota (he is on Medicare disability etc). But it is a last resort option and unfurnished apartments seem much cheaper in Cleveland than here.

I am really hoping to find a more temporary solution first. I work remotely from home and can work from anywhere as long as I have internet access. So that is not an issue.

Any suggestions for a furnished house or apartment would be greatly appreciated. Even shared living arrangements would be ok if others could handle his health problems (he requires oxygen machine and portables which can be loud, and coughs a lot). Stairs are also a consideration as it is hard for him to climb stairs, but not impossible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2023, 11:32 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Search Airbnb for long-term stays (20 percent discount) using a filter of $60 per night, or lower (inquire about utilities). Check perhaps for Euclid, Mentor and Willoughby, where rents may be lower than in University Circle, if this meets CC requirements. Ask if being near a CC facility matters. Euclid General is a CC hospital. There is a large CC clinic in Willoughby, and the CC is building a hospital in Mentor, but I don't know when it opens for patients.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Mentor-OH/h...=filter_change

This thread has much information on east side communities, including Euclid and Mentor. Mentor is a very safe community with great parks and recreational amenities. It's also the sixth largest retail center in Ohio. It's in Lake County, where Laketran offers point-to-point shuttle service to the CC main campus at discounted rates for senior citizens resident in Lake County, if that's helpful. Mentor is about 1/2 hour from the CC main campus by car. Euclid is about 20 minutes by car.

North of I-90, most especially north of Lakeshore Blvd., Euclid should be safe.

Compendium of threads & posts on Univ. Circle, Cleveland Hts., Shaker Ht., Univ. Hts., Beachwood area

Have you considered putting your MN house on Airbnb, if there's someone reliable to keep tabs on it?

Good luck.

Old 01-28-2023, 06:15 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
have you searched furnished finder.com?

Old 01-28-2023, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Search Airbnb for long-term stays (20 percent discount) using a filter of $60 per night, or lower (inquire about utilities). Check perhaps for Euclid, Mentor and Willoughby, where rents may be lower than in University Circle, if this meets CC requirements. Ask if being near a CC facility matters. Euclid General is a CC hospital. There is a large CC clinic in Willoughby, and the CC is building a hospital in Mentor, but I don't know when it opens for patients.

This thread has much information on east side communities, including Euclid and Mentor. Mentor is a very safe community with great parks and recreational amenities. It's also the sixth largest retail center in Ohio. It's in Lake County, where Laketran offers point-to-point shuttle service to the CC main campus at discounted rates for senior citizens resident in Lake County, if that's helpful. Mentor is about 1/2 hour from the CC main campus by car. Euclid is about 20 minutes by car.

North of I-90, most especially north of Lakeshore Blvd., Euclid should be safe.

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/cle...cleveland.html

Have you considered putting your MN house on Airbnb, if there's someone reliable to keep tabs on it?

Good luck.
Thank you! This is very helpful information to work with. Good to know about the different neighborhoods and safe areas! We have to be very careful about renting out our house since he is on disability and they would consider this income which could count against him. Though I wonder if the balance of expenses at our potential rental in Cleveland would cancel out that extra "income". He is age 59 and myself 50 so we are not quite senior citizens yet. At any rate I will check out those links.

Old 01-28-2023, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
have you searched furnished finder.com?
I have never heard of that until now but I will definitely check it out. Thanks!

Old 01-31-2023, 12:13 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
A friend of a friend attending grad school at Case Western is renting a one room, furnished apartment on Mayfield Road, just south of the Mayfield Road entrance to Lake View Cemetery, close to Coventry and less than a mile south of Little Italy. It would be an excellent location for you. Reportedly the rent is $900/month with one free parking spot.

Perhaps call the City of Cleveland Heights and ask if they are aware of furnished apartment buildings if you can't find anything there with your research. There are scores of two-three story apartment buildings in that area, but I don't know how many offer furnished units. Those buildings likely don't have elevators and so you might want a first floor unit.

Please report back on what you've discovered and where you eventually chose to rent.

Old 02-01-2023, 03:47 AM

Quote:
A friend of a friend attending grad school at Case Western is renting a one room, furnished apartment on Mayfield Road, just south of the Mayfield Road entrance to Lake View Cemetery, close to Coventry and less than a mile south of Little Italy. It would be an excellent location for you. Reportedly the rent is $900/month with one free parking spot.

Perhaps call the City of Cleveland Heights and ask if they are aware of furnished apartment buildings if you can't find anything there with your research. There are scores of two-three story apartment buildings in that area, but I don't know how many offer furnished units. Those buildings likely don't have elevators and so you might want a first floor unit.

Please report back on what you've discovered and where you eventually chose to rent.
Thank you for this information! I am looking right now at apartment rentals in that area and I have just emailed several rental agencies in the area for more information and to call me back. Looks like there are some possibilities with the other answers on this thread also.

Thank you so much everyone for all this information! This is so much more helpful than what I was finding searching on my own! I will update in the next few months as everything moves forward. We still don't know if my husband will get listed for lung transplant yet but I am predicting we will find out by April or so and then would look to start moving by May if so. Its good to have as many options as possible ready in case. Things move fast at the clinic!

Old 02-01-2023, 09:14 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,234,050 times

There are a few companies that deal with short-term furnished housing, but as often this is a company expense for relocation, the landlords know this and charge accordingly for max profit. They're reasonable sometimes, but rarely a bargain.
Look on Craigslist, if you know the area at all. AirBnb is the way I would do it, if you can find one with a long block of time available.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:16 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,234,050 times
Quote:

There are a few companies that deal with short-term furnished housing, but as often this is a company expense for relocation, the landlords know this and charge accordingly for max profit. They're reasonable sometimes, but rarely a bargain. Lakewood has a bunch of these, in doubles and basements, I'd imagine areas closer would have them also. Quite nice because they are corporate, but they're not cheap.
Look on Craigslist, if you know the area at all. AirBnb is the way I would do it, if you can find one with a long block of time available.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:29 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,001,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
I have never heard of that until now but I will definitely check it out. Thanks!
1800 is a huge stretch for furnished all inclusive. Maybe Euclid. I highly doubt Willoughby or mentor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland